AOD swap

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
1965sedan

AOD swap

Post by 1965sedan »

I have a 65 202 with a tci front end that was installed before I bought the car. I want to install an aod. I'm told the tci front end causes the engine to be an inch or so high higher than stock. Has anyone experienced this and will the transmission tunnel need to be enlarged ? Any advice would be appreciated.

vicegrip

Re: AOD swap

Post by vicegrip »

I really don't think there will be much of an issue. Nothing like this is ever a direct bolt on deal but the AOD isn't that big. Not the toughest trans Ford ever made but the net is full of mods to make them stronger. In the 90s,guys ran them in turbo Fox cars with huge power,200 mph in 1/4 mile.

https://www.diyford.com/ford-aod-transm ... ing-guide/

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

Due to your TCI raising the engine, I can't be sure, but I am sure the larger bell housing (covering the lock-up torque converter) will fit without the TCI. Mine has a C5, same size bell housing, and it fits. My biggest issue was the kick-down linkage. I also had a little trouble with the Neutral-Park/Backup Light switch interference with the kick-down, but sorted it out eventually. If you're keeping the stock Neutral-Park/Backup switches you won't have the interference.

I do think you're right worrying about the engine rise with the TCI.
OK...so she might need a little work.Image

1965sedan

Post by 1965sedan »

The c4 is less than an inch off the tunnel at the firewall right now, I'm hoping I don't have to cut it up, The body of the tranny is a lot "fatter " than the c4 and as you know the tunnel is pretty narrow.
Thanks for your input.

saSSoman8810

Post by saSSoman8810 »

I am getting ready to install a C-6 in my Comet . I will let you know how much tunnel expansion will be needed. It's just metal.
You cut it. You weld it you grind it you paint it. Done.

1965sedan

Post by 1965sedan »

Spoke with TCI, they agree that we lose an inch with their crossmember, I think it gonna take some cutting !!!

FuzzyDriver

Post by FuzzyDriver »

TCI doesn't change the transmission support, right? Just the motor mount? So since the angle is what's changing that won't translate to a whole inch at the transmission. Let us know how it works out - maybe an inch at the mounts will be 1/2 inch at the bell housing. :)
OK...so she might need a little work.Image