Quandry - stock or modify

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
bigdog

Quandry - stock or modify

Post by bigdog »

I bought a '65 Comet 404 4-door from an old man in Ashland, Ohio. It came from Florida and is completely original. There are minor scrathes and dents, a few tears in the interior, and 106K miles on the 200ci. It was undercoated and the only rust was a hole under the battery. I drove it home!
I started breaking it down with the intention of putting a 289 or 302 in it, disc brakes, etc. and having a little fun with the resroration. Along the way i learned from the plate that it is numbers matching. Further, I found the build sheet under the front seat!
Should I restore to stock or modify? Is there a difference in value? Any comments are very much appreciated.
Thanks
Rich Hawkins
'65 Comet 404

comet_keeper

Post by comet_keeper »

That choice is one that you have to make. I took a number matching car and started to convert it to a gasser. Mine has the 289, auto. trans, power steering and under dash AC. Last week I picked up the stright front axle for it.
I will be selling the front susp.,steering minus the box and the complete ac unit.
Keep 'EM Cruisin'

rbohm

Post by rbohm »

8) personally i would keep the body and interior stock, or fairly close. i would also hop up the six ot perform well, and build the suspension for good handling and a comfortable ride. i would also install front disc brakes at the least, with decent sized drums in the rear. make this a car that you can drive daily, but be fairly quick at the same time.
64 falcon
66 falcon
66 mustang

a man's fate is a man's fate

and life is but an illusion

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I guess being a 4 door sedan it is not going to have the value of say a Cyclone, but they are not making any more 65 Comet 404's either (did anyone notice, or just me?), so I would always want the option to go back to original.

It also depends on what you are going to use the car for, daily driver, hobby, show car, something fun? Like C_K said that is your decision solely.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058