new to the place

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
econoaddict

new to the place

Post by econoaddict »

Hi all, looks like a great group here.

I am looking at getting a comet, I have been into old fords for many years but never messed with the comet/falcons.

The car I am looking at is in great shape, nice paint, nice interior etc...
The thing that is messing with my mind is that from all the pics I have seen it appears to be a 65, it has the stacked headlights etc.. all the body clues point to 65. How ever the pics I have seen of 65 dashes dont look like what this car has. The dash set up looks like a 64, gauge panel radio etc...
Maybe an early 65 with left oevr 64 stuff in it? maybe just had the wrong stuff put in by previous owner? or??
If all goes well I will have the car within the week.
It has small six power in it now.

Thanks in advance for any answers

white64

Post by white64 »

The front end sheetmetal and dashes are interchangebale between the two years, look at the rear sheetmetal, that is not interchangeable. Check out some of the photos here that should help you out. Also TFFN.COM is a great source of info and tech help.

econoaddict

Post by econoaddict »

Thanks white,
I thought some of it would interchange.
I have yet to see the rear of the car, pics only and none of the back.
It looks like I will be heading up to look at/ pick up the car friday morning.

white64

Post by white64 »

Did yah get it?

econoaddict

Post by econoaddict »

oops, sorry been busy work out some of the bugs in it.
In other words YEP I got it.
It is a 64, the front sheet metal is from a 65.
It drives out very nice, overall a very solid car. The floors have been replaced and the trunk floor is original with no rust at all.
The paint is good at 15ft away or more :P
Not sure what they were thinking as most of the wires under the dash have been cut and hooked to toggle switches, working on reconnecting them where they belong. Soldering and shrink tubing all of them.
The mechanical fuel pump was bad so they put in a universal electric that runs at a steady 12psi :shock: The poor old carb really doesn't like that when setting still. I just picked up a new mechanical to fix that.
I think that about covers it, a few minor things here and there but nothing that concerns me.
It is a 6cyl auto car, this may change but still undecided.
I have a header and am contemplating a cam and 2barrel install with some flat top pistons 8)
Well if anyone out there is interested in swapping a 65 front clip for a 64 please get in touch.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Econo I did get your picts and will be posting them shortly (ahh! never give a solid answer) all that I can say is interesting :roll: , but not a bad looking car overall.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

econoaddict

Post by econoaddict »

It is different and has caused a few heated discussions so far.
Basically it comes down to proving that it is a 64, you'd think the taillights would be enough proof :lol: I have a printed out vin decode I keep in the car hehe.

Plans are set, I have scored a bad-ass 302 and a very well built 8) C4, I have a few 8 and 9 inch rears laying around, one should fit.
Headers on the way, painless wiring kit on the way. Already have a B&M shifter some really cool bucket seats and a handful of hot rod goodies.

Gotta go chebbie huntin' :twisted:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Have you thought about Crites Restoration and a glass frontend for it all you have to come up with is a grill. Of course it wouldn't be cheap.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058