HC 404 build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Hubert Cumberdale

Re: HC 404 build

Post by Hubert Cumberdale »

Thanks everyone.Poboyjo65 the 9'' needed a set of drums and all subsequent parts sourced.It came with everything but.I was contemplating finding a disc conversion for it but when my buddy offered me that 8.8 with discs and trac loc to boot I couldn't pass it up.

Hubert Cumberdale

Hey guys,I have a small update nothing of any note.I went and picked up my rear end on friday and they did a great job on it.I started to put it back together and my right hand shim broke.It was kinda weird I was just putting in the chunk, kind test fitting it a few times then it snapped.

Mind boggling

So I'm waiting on one of my dozens of summit orders to get that kit.
I decided to tear down the back end of the car since I was sitting idle on the differential.I have a new set of leaf springs,shocks,and bushings waiting to go in.

Barren

Thats it for now.When I get the rear end finished I will start posting pics of the assembly.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Gotta Luv those cheesey 8.8s! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Hubert Cumberdale

Whoa,cheezy? Have I been led astray on these rear ends? I was told they were as tough as a GM 12bolt. Although I am fearful of that shim breaking so easily that its a sign of times to come.Fingers crossed.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You'd be a lot better off to stay with your 9'' rearend. drums aren't expensive. do you have a small or big bearing 9'' ? what's so tough about a gm 12 bolt? :? when a lot of chevy guys get tired of breaking their 12 bolts they put in a 9''. If your just building a cruiser then you'll be fine with a 8.8
Johno

Hubert Cumberdale

Yeah,to be honest I'm not to worried.The car is going to be a weekend cruiser with me putting my foot into it occasionally when the wee ones aren't in it.I couldn't tell ya on the bearing size.The 9'' has been gone for a year or so.I traded it and got some cash out of it (for said life changes)to a buddy and had his 8'' sitting under there until I figured out what I was doing with the car.I know the 9'' was stronger but I'm sure the 8.8 will suffice. :D

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

It all boils down to what the car will be used for,simple as that.I've got 8.8's that are 20 plus yrs old ,still good ,got 9's that are 40 plus yrs old and they are still good,,JMO.. the car has to be built for it's intended purpose.......like I said jmo.....POP
pop/glenda

Hubert Cumberdale

I completely agree pops.

Again not much of an update but I'm trying to keep my momentum going,although its not much but ordering and receiving parts.
And speaking of parts I got my Crites order today! I was pretty excited and as expected it all looks high quality like my hood.

Headers

Shock tower kit

I got new swivels,springs, and mounts also.So I've just been setting up the rear end after work the past few nights.Hopefully it will be complete soon.Then I am going to throw it in and make mounts to utilize the sway bar the 8.8 came with.Fun times.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have a 1984 factory 5.0,5spd HO mercury capri,had a 4bbl holley with alumn intake,have had it for over 20plus yrs,,it came with a 7.5 3.08 rear gear,while I was waiting on the 8.8 3.55 LS that I had ordered from FORD to come in ...I did my level best to tear the 7.5 up...I didn't care ! I treated that rear gear worst then a fat man treats his tennis shoes,,,I never phased it,,I still have it,,,in fact we run 7.5's in our dirt track cars ,we tried 8,8.8 and 9in..they are to heavy and take more HP to turn them,,we have never tore up a 7.5 ,and we weld them up to make a posi unit,ONE fime we slapped the wall right on the end of axle and broke the weld on the spider gears,the other time we hit square on the whl in a wreck and broke the weld,,,but all that did both times was make a single track,,,,,,my point is which is really the weaker??and why did ford put a small ring gear under a v8 ho 5spd car that was gonna get hammered in most cases on the average ??,,,,,,,,a lot just simply falls back to...it's jmo.......pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YOU CAN TEAR UP AN ANVIL,IF YOU TRY HARD ENOUGH !!!,,(author unknown)
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:YOU CAN TEAR UP AN ANVIL,IF YOU TRY HARD ENOUGH !!!,,(author unknown)
I bought a new crowbar and had some guys working for me, I handed to one of them and said "don't break it", I don't think he got it, he said he would be careful :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Hubert Cumberdale wrote:Again not much of an update but I'm trying to keep my momentum going,although its not much but ordering and receiving parts.
Doing better than me Hubert, most of my car parts are on paper only but I have been buying little bits here and there as I go, main reason I work so hard on planning is so I can buy stuff I won't need till way down the road and hopefully it will work, I do have few things I have bought through the years I will end up having to try and resale because I changed plans through the years, hopefully this go around I can get stuff on the car, I have been stocking up on Sawzall blades and angle grinder cutoff wheels so I can see if I can make Fred proud :P now to get an electric wire run out too the shed so I can run the welder and compressor out there.

Keep us updated.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:I have been stocking up on Sawzall blades and angle grinder cutoff wheels so I can see if I can make Fred proud :P now to get an electric wire run out too the shed so I can run the welder and compressor out there.
See Ya,
Mike
Atta Boy lol
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Hubert Cumberdale

Hey guys,a buddy and I set up the rear end and I threw it in the car today.

So I put in new leaf springs and shocks and new bushings all around.Also put on a girdle cover cause I wanted to spoil myself a little.
Im going to leave the rear end alone for a bit and focus on the crites shock tower conversion.When I'm done with that and a little motor refreshing I will set the pinion angle and weld the rear in place and make the stock (explorer)sway bar work in there.

Hubert Cumberdale

One more thing from my weekend.I puled the motor in prep for the conversion.

And here is a shot from when I drug it out to turn around.Still sitting pretty after the rear end swap