Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:46 pm
Awesome solution for the dash pad clips Lou. I had the same issue and clued the clips to the pad with silicon, but I bent the clips to make them wider. When I installed it I had to use a rubber hammer to set the clips in the dash :roll: It worked good. I would love to put the locks in like you did but there is no way I'm getting under the dash anymore with the counsel and air conditioning tubing under there now.
Tom
Rubber hammer? Not sure I wanted to go there....

The locks seemed like a easy solution, didn't want the pad popping loose if I hit a bump or pot hole.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:28 pm

Lou I think the pad has to be trimmed to fit the chrome trim on the face. think you are deleting that right? but will you have to trim the pad to fit your custom dash? ....Looks good on there btw ! :P

does the pad hang over the defog/speaker grill a little? seems to overhang bout 1/4'' on my old pad.
John, the pad fit pretty nice, it was a little short on the pass side end. Which bummed me out a little...

Pad fit damn near perfect everywhere else. Didn't hang over the speaker grill at all, didn't have to trim to fit the chrome trim except for a very little at the driver side end. Under the curved end piece with the two screws. I did use the chrome trim on the face.
Couple pictures of Dash.

I still need to install the cardboard glove box. Plus need to trim the bolts and use acorn nuts for the inside of glove box door.

The ash tray is useless..... going to see if I can install my fuse box there and use the ash tray cover as a door to access the fuse box.

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Great tutorial on the dash pad installation, Lou. Bookmarked. :D

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:08 pm
Great tutorial on the dash pad installation, Lou. Bookmarked. :D

Jim
Ditto !!!
& it looks marvelous ! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Lou missed a few posts,, yes as has been stated great tutorial on the dash pad!
Dig the one plug dash removal, that is something I need!!
Stuff is coming together beauty!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guy's.

Fred actually two plugs for the dash one with 8 and one with 2 . But still easier than having to remove all the wires individually, if dash needs to come out.

I always enjoyed the assembly part of the build. Tweak this, modify that, easy to have fun.

Today I was thinking about how useless the ashtray has become, so I took my extra ashtray and cut it down in size.

It still fits into the original mount..

It is still useless,, But now I can install my fuse box on the back part of the stock ashtray mount.

And can access the fuse box by removing the smaller ashtray.

Didn't have to fabricate a new mount for the fuse box, the new dash brace I installed is right beside it and I can attach the relay and flasher strip to the top of that. And as a little bonus the ashtray mount has a light mounted to it, so if I ever need to change a fuse at night I can just turn on the lights,,,:)

I decided to use a Ron Francis harness instead of making one from scratch, and the fuse box is the perfect size. Just had to grind down two of the plastic mounting ears so It would sit against the ashtray mount flat. Actually was a pretty easy mod, all kind of fell together!

Plus I still have a small ashtray if I want to throw some change or emergency cash in :)

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Why didn't ford do that? :? Love it Lou! :D
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dang that dash looks great! :D love the way the pad breaks it up ,kinda like your vinyl top will the exterior. I may have to chop my ashtray like that,I love that idea. I've been looking for a place to put a second small fuse box for any add-ons with maybe a couple relays.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:16 am
Dang that dash looks great! :D love the way the pad breaks it up ,kinda like your vinyl top will the exterior. I may have to chop my ashtray like that,I love that idea. I've been looking for a place to put a second small fuse box for any add-ons with maybe a couple relays.
Thanks John.

Wasn't sure if I would like the finished product. Thought it may be too plain. But all done I really like how it turned out and if I get tired of the plain/smooth look I can have it pin striped, put some trim on it, or have a wrap done for it. But I am really happy with how it looks!!

If/when you cut your ashtray take the plastic guides off first, you need to use the wider end of the plastic that goes in first to still be on the ashtray to stabilize the end it when done. I didn't do this, and there is play, but I used a junk ash tray. When I do the good one I will know.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Finally received the vinyl top for my Comet. Ordered it in Oct.

This will be the first time I install a vinyl top, going to take my time.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

So first time, who is your go to for glue knowledge etc?
Contact type glue?
Side to side 1/2 at a time?
Extra pair a hands?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:03 am
Contact type glue?
Extra pair a hands?
No fair.... those were my questions!! lol

Haven't decided on glue yet, leaning toward 3M spray adhesive.

From center to seam, then from center to seam on other side, then seam to rain gutter, and then other side. Then rear sails, etc

Will definitely have a friend to help.

Been reading some on the net and saved this one

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp- ... tallation/

Still need more research.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

If I may offer a suggestion.
I have had great experiences with DAP Landau top adhesive. My interior guy uses it exclusively for interior and exterior automotive applications. It will not fail under extreme heat. (The sun) 3m is good stuff but I believe this product is superior.
Jim

It is available in many different size containers.
https://www.dap.com/products-projects/p ... -top-trim/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

A/FX wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:54 pm
If I may offer a suggestion.
I have had great experiences with DAP Landau top adhesive. My interior guy uses it exclusively for interior and exterior automotive applications. It will not fail under extreme heat. (The sun) 3m is good stuff but I believe this product is superior.
Jim

It is available in many different size containers.
https://www.dap.com/products-projects/p ... -top-trim/
Suggestions are always welcome!

I will look into it...

Thanks Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:43 pm
SASSY wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:03 am
Contact type glue?
Extra pair a hands?
No fair.... those were my questions!! lol

Haven't decided on glue yet, leaning toward 3M spray adhesive.

From center to seam, then from center to seam on other side, then seam to rain gutter, and then other side. Then rear sails, etc

Will definitely have a friend to help.

Been reading some on the net and saved this one

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp- ... tallation/

Still need more research.

Lou
Lol,,, my post was sorta " thinking out loud", that period of time where I make a decision about some mod or project,,,,, ok how the hell ya gonna do that?!!
I have no doubt that you'll pull off a beauty result!