Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

Got my seats out and started fitting them. They are out of a brand "X" but they were the right price, what I wanted (comfy) and with very little modification fit like they were made for the Comet. The front seats use the original bench seat holes , I only had to drill the inboard holes and make a mount for the rear inboard holes.

The rear seat fit pretty easy also. The bottom I only had to put some grooves in the under seat sheet metal, the upright piece. And the bottom clips into place like a normal rear seat. The upper part I made a couple brackets for the bottom ends, ran a 7/16" steel rod thru the brackets and some plastic spacers so it still folded and mounted it to car. For the top I just used the latches from brand"X" car.

This all went together rather easy. And with a little tweaking will look almost factory.

I will get new skins for them without the headrest holes and no airbag provision. Here are some pictures

When I get the new covers I will add a little padding to the rear seat bolster's so they fit better, and will probably attach the folding sections together so it all folds down as one piece instead of two fold downs. Think this will secure it a little better and less chance of things moving around. I am going to try to use the old seat skins to make the door/side panels. This way they will match the seats. The seats are still nice, only getting new skins to eliminate the provisions for head rests and air bag.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

COOL LOU!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Fred!

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Mad skills, Lou! 👍

The bodywork and paint is as slick as a new Benz. 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Joe!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Really coming together nicely! seats look right at home Lou good score! I know all the underdash work was fun,been under there havin a ball myself :roll:

what are you doing for a tach?
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:31 pm
Really coming together nicely! seats look right at home Lou good score! I know all the underdash work was fun,been under there havin a ball myself :roll:

what are you doing for a tach?
Thanks John.

The underdash work isn't that bad with the car gutted. Throw some pads and blankets on the floor to make it easier.

I have a retro "Super Tach" I will mount on top of dash.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Was working on my front suspension, and was installing the steering stops. The shop manual says on Comets and Falcons the steering stops go between the strut and lower control arm, and Mustangs they go on top of the struts. The only way I seem to get mine to fit is when they are on top of the struts. Also they are backwards of what they look like in the shop manual illustration and parts catalog illustrations. Anyone have a picture on how theirs is mounted would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou I wanted my stops under the strut rods because of how it meets the stops on spindles. I took these pics back then, but the last 2 pics show it hits near bottom of the stop so you might check yours to see how it hits but if yours is like these pics at full stop should help you make your mind up because the other ways puts the stop higher & wouldn't meet as good.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks John!!

I will compare mine with your pictures tomorrow. When I had them under the struts they didn't seem to sit flat. But will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:32 pm
Thanks John!!

I will compare mine with your pictures tomorrow. When I had them under the struts they didn't seem to sit flat. But will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again!
probably flatten out some when you torque it down. I remember this came up quite a few years ago & I think mine actually came on top from factory . but now with the stops on top it almost misses the pad on the spindle arm at full stop,,,, although I didnt get pics of it on top.

But another thing I thought about is my stops could be bent. could be different from car to car I guess,so good idea to check how they meet at full stop on both sides. may be different at ride height than up on stands too -
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Those seats looks great Lou!
On both my Comet and Falcon the steering stops are bolted on top of the strut rod and with the open end facing inboard. Hope that helps.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Are mine facing outward or inward Joe?

here's where it came up a while back & I said both of mine were on top;
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5852&p=39650&hilit ... ops#p39650

But how the stop & spindle meet made me change my mind & put them on the bottom.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Johnnie it looks like yours are facing open end in as well.
I have a few original strut rods hanging around somewhere. I haven’t taken them apart I’ll check them tomorrow.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:50 pm
probably flatten out some when you torque it down. I remember this came up quite a few years ago & I think mine actually came on top from factory . but now with the stops on top it almost misses the pad on the spindle arm at full stop,,,, although I didnt get pics of it on top.

But another thing I thought about is my stops could be bent. could be different from car to car I guess,so good idea to check how they meet at full stop on both sides. may be different at ride height than up on stands too -
Thanks John! I tried them both ways yesterday they don't fit under the struts. I see what you mean by the stop not aligning as nice with them being on top, but that is where they seem to fit. I also checked the marks on the old control arms and that seems to be how they were.
comethead wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:13 am
Those seats looks great Lou!
On both my Comet and Falcon the steering stops are bolted on top of the strut rod and with the open end facing inboard. Hope that helps.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I am really happy with the seats, they are comfy. Once they are done and recovered I think they are really going to look at home. And having power adjustable heated seats will be nice too.

From the markings/rust outline I can see on the old control arms and the struts went on first, then stops on top. So that is where I put them, with open facing inward like yours and Johns. they work ok so I will move on.

Thanks guys!! For taking the time to help !

Lou