Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou have you figured out exactly where on the dash you will mount the tach? probably be easier drilling ,if I need to, before the window goes in. I had mine mounted under where the pad would be the last time,but I never did put the pad back on & now I have a different cup & mount so it's been in the back of my mind to mock it up before I paint the dash ,thought I might see how you do yours before I got started on it.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:26 am
Lou have you figured out exactly where on the dash you will mount the tach? probably be easier drilling ,if I need to, before the window goes in. I had mine mounted under where the pad would be the last time,but I never did put the pad back on & now I have a different cup & mount so it's been in the back of my mind to mock it up before I paint the dash ,thought I might see how you do yours before I got started on it.
Not yet, the plan is mount it to the speaker grill. But we all know plans change.

I have two speaker grill's both are painted so if I screw up I have a spare. Probably wait till I get the seat, steering wheel and glass in it before I mount the tach. So I can see where I like it sitting in car. Can't do windshield till my vinyl top comes and it is back ordered.

Also going to probably do some kind of reinforcement under the speaker grill for support so it doesn't vibrate or move.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou I was looking at cometheads thread & I ran across where he said there are 2 different pedal support bearings,,, here is the quote

'' BTW this is the sealed ball bearing kit, not the roller bearing kit (that does not require welding) that are also on the market. ''
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:54 pm
Lou I was looking at cometheads thread & I ran across where he said there are 2 different pedal support bearings,,, here is the quote

'' BTW this is the sealed ball bearing kit, not the roller bearing kit (that does not require welding) that are also on the market. ''
This was the kit I was going to get

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk- ... /year/1965

Was also going to order this crossmember, from what I read I need this for the Toploader swap??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CPO-TRA-615-418

Thanks for the help

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well you know what Fred's gonna do now,,,,.
I know my pedal shaft situation is a mess but haven't gotten around to addressing it, reading these posts makes me realize now is the time.
Sassy's gonna get another hack attack.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:42 am

Yo! That looks like a nice upgrade 8)
What are we talking about, as far as installation? Press-fit, welding, etc.? I have a tiny bit of slop but slop, nonetheless.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:42 am

Yo! That looks like a nice upgrade 8)
What are we talking about, as far as installation? Press-fit, welding, etc.? I have a tiny bit of slop but slop, nonetheless.

Joe
Looks pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbyBmjomwo

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Might want to look at your shaft before you order it Lou. I think this is the one Joe used, read down at the bottom the FAQ where he says which is better;
https://mustangsteve.com/product/Ball-B ... Shaft-Kit/
I think someone like Fred or Mike could go find the bearings & washers at the partstore for a lot less. & Joe63 this is the one that needs a little welding,just weld the washers on I think.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:30 pm
Looks pretty easy.
Thank you, Lou! Yes, not bad @ all. That's easy affordable upgrade to help keep the old T-10 happy.
See the benefit w/ different bearing for HD applications, John but I'm not going that far w/ the car. Thanks amigo!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have the mustang steve kit in my Cyclone. Did it a long time ago, maybe 20 years or so ago, along with his cable clutch setup.
You can see the cable over by the master cylinder in this picture of my engine bay.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

[/quote]

Not to hijack this thread but I had a NOS pair of those valve covers. They were never installed, the nuts, studs, etc. were still in the shrink packaging. I sold them a few years ago when I decided to use the stock Boss valve covers on my Cyclone.
I was told they only made about 100 sets in a few different versions.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:58 pm

See the benefit w/ different bearing for HD applications, John but I'm not going that far w/ the car. Thanks amigo!

Joe
What I meant was if you read where mustangsteve says the roller bearing type like Lou posted rides on the shaft,& if your shaft is wallered out or wore down it may not last long. & I kept thinking about all the dirt & dust that gets behind a dash can get in the roller bearing. wont have that problem with a sealed bearing ,& like he says it has its own race on the sealed bearing. I dont think ,,,well I know I wouldn't try the install without pulling the support out of the car for either one so the welding wouldn't be much hassle. BUT! I'm not going that far either! if I ever have to take it back out I would. & I'm not suggesting anyone do it, I'm just making guys aware of the differences so they do it if they want to, & they wont have to sit around like me saying dang I wished I'd known about that when I had it apart.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:05 pm
What I meant was if you read where mustangsteve says the roller bearing type like Lou posted rides on the shaft,& if your shaft is wallered out or wore down it may not last long. & I kept thinking about all the dirt & dust that gets behind a dash can get in the roller bearing. wont have that problem with a sealed bearing ,& like he says it has its own race on the sealed bearing. I dont think ,,,well I know I wouldn't try the install without pulling the support out of the car for either one so the welding wouldn't be much hassle. BUT! I'm not going that far either! if I ever have to take it back out I would. & I'm not suggesting anyone do it, I'm just making guys aware of the differences so they do it if they want to, & they wont have to sit around like me saying dang I wished I'd known about that when I had it apart.
I caught your drift after reading Steve's installation instructions and the pictorial. He has a really good site.
The shop manual doesn't mention removing the support to change the pedal shaft bushings on the early Comets. If that is the case, the roller bearings look to be a shoe-in. Boss' clutch setup seems to be the way to go for pedal stomping

I have plans for the transmission and clutch on my car but they are sitting on the back burner for now. In the meantime I'm taking it easy w/ the lead foot. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:45 am

The shop manual doesn't mention removing the support to change the pedal shaft bushings on the early Comets. If that is the case, the roller bearings look to be a shoe-in.

Joe
True for the plastic bushing, but to put either style of the bearing kits in you must grind out the metal bushings that the plastic ones are inserted into. if you look at the youtube video Lou posted on the roller bearing install;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bbyBmjomwo
about 30 seconds in she says to grind out that bushing. So the support has to come out so the roller bearing doesn't look so rosey to me & not a shoe in. if not for that I would agree with you 110% & if the roller bearing was that easy to install it would already be in my car cause my shaft looked good & factory plastic bushings looked good & all snug. but the dirt getting in the roller bearing would be my deciding factor for me.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:43 pm
True for the plastic bushing, but to put either style of the bearing kits in you must grind out the metal bushings that the plastic ones are inserted into.
Thanks for the work-thru. Got a little cross-threaded between videos, website and the shop manual :wink:
My clutch set-up looks to be modified just a bit from the shop manual diagrams for '62-'64. I'll post it somewhere else when the time comes.
Back to Lou's show-

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop