Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ArkansasComet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by ArkansasComet »

Lou,
Great build thread, thank you for taking the time to take pictures as you go. I have been looking at your pictures almost daily to get an idea of how I want to build my car, especially the ones showing how you did your subframe & floor panels. Very informative & will be a great help when I finally have time to tackle mine. I am also excited to see the completed dash. You are a true craftsman & I really enjoy seeing your progress. Keep up the excellent work!
-Jim

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jim, Thanks for the compliments.

Definitely going to be more pictures, still have a long way to go .

Lou

loman

Post by loman »

Lou, my car has none of the stock engine bay, but I installed a radiator to grill filler piece. I did it to deflect the air and try to keep it from flexing the front of my hood at 130 mph. If you go to My showing off page and look at page 2, Johno posted a couple pics of my car at PF from the other year and you can see it pretty good in one picture. I had someone put a couple of bead rolls in it to give it more strength and to dress it up a bit. After it was installed, i got lots of compliments on how that changed the looks of the engine bay with such a simple add on.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

loman wrote:Lou, my car has none of the stock engine bay, but I installed a radiator to grill filler piece. I did it to deflect the air and try to keep it from flexing the front of my hood at 130 mph. If you go to My showing off page and look at page 2, Johno posted a couple pics of my car at PF from the other year and you can see it pretty good in one picture. I had someone put a couple of bead rolls in it to give it more strength and to dress it up a bit. After it was installed, i got lots of compliments on how that changed the looks of the engine bay with such a simple add on.
Checked out the pictures. Looks Great! Not something I am looking at doing right now.. Welded all the extra holes on my rad support shut and smoothed everything. Think it will look good.

Though this is something I very well may do later on, just not right now. Trying to get everything ready so I can start painting soon. Not really looking to add to o the longggggg list I already have lol

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Roy made a nice piece for his car, it went from top of the grill to the rad support & was made from aluminum. had a neat little cover around the hood latch. it was well made & neat as I believe he worked in sheet metal. I really cant tell about Loman's but it looks good too. but Fred has the most efficient one IMO. it goes from the bottom of his hood to his rad support, not allowing any air to go over the rad. forcing it thru the rad. It made me wonder if something made from dense foam or rubber could be attached to the hood to seal like Fred's when closed. I also had a crazy idea to make one from the front of a hood. I guess that is from hanging out under the tent with Ratical. :lol: :lol:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Roy's controlled the air good. Image
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Love Roy's Comet! IMO the definition of cool.

Only knew Roy thru this forum..... He is missed

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Got a little bit further with my Comet. Actually got some of it painted Black. Not much but it is a start lol.

Got the dash pieces wet sanded and painted black this week. Happy with how they came out. Spent the day before cleaning shop so got very little dust/dirt in it. Like one speck in the dash cluster and another one in the pass end cap so very happy!! In a week or two I will wet sand and buff them but if it wasn't for the couple specks not sure I would sand and buff.

Couple pictures of progress. The Dash pieces I made.

I also painted the speaker grille, ash tray, original glove box, and the brackets for mounting the hood pins to the rad support.

Been back and forth with the Sargent bars, first I was going to eliminate them then decided to keep them after I seen a Comet with new repos on it. Gone to a few machine shops seeing if I could get some made and nobody was really interested in making them. Was talking to a good friend about them and he said he could make me what I wanted. Bought some aluminum bar and rod and he made them for me. Which is way cool.

Here is one after I polished it and put some black in the recess, the ones in the background are how I got them from my buddy and not polished yet.

I'm really happy with how they are turning out, little more polishing and they really shine. Solid aluminum. I actually like them better than the originals. With the black going from end to end I think they match the tail panel trim. Plus doesn't have the higher ridge going down the center. They fit the fender real nice and bolt on like the original.

Couple photos of the glove box piece and Sargent bar in the sunlight.

The clear layed like glass, paint is going to take very little cutting and buffing, really psyched on how everything turned out so far.

Lou

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Looks great Lou. Those Sgt bars look great.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The black looks great! Uh I think he & you could do better on the second set of sarge bars! & then just send me that first set ! :P jk! but they look great! :D :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That first picture in the sunlight with your reflection in it....the glove box looks like a piece of tinted mirror. That's some shiny paint! 8)
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Very nice Lou. Does your friend want to make more Sgt bars?
tomb's 65

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Nice updates Lou, those sarge bars are really cool!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: ....... :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lou after seeing your work I feel as though I may as well get back to work on my Falcon using a dull wood saw and a 5lb sledge! :lol:
Beautiful work! We've been waiting for a couple of years to see this one come together. It's going to be a badass machine!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed