Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:55 pm
I will use a butyl type sound deadener for the inside floor. Something like dynamat but prob a cheaper version like the summit brand. Used ram audio mat on a few other builds but can't access their website. Thinking they went out of business.. so I need to find a new brand.
Thanks for the recommendation. My floors are very solid original but very small peek-a-boo along the rocker on both sides. It may outlast me. If not, I'll take it into consideration. Nice job and thanks again :)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Lou! Are you planning to deaden the inside of the doors, roof, passenger portion of rear quarters? If so, with what?

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:58 pm
Looks great, Lou! Are you planning to deaden the inside of the doors, roof, passenger portion of rear quarters? If so, with what?

Jim
Thanks Jim.
Yes, I plan on doing inside everything, floor, doors, quarters, roof, trunk, firewall, etc. used Raam-mat in previous builds and was happy with results. Their Website has been down and I think they may be out of business. So I bought some of the Summit brand. This here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-879024

Seems a little thin compared to the Raam-mat I used before. My buddy has some Kilmat I can compare, and I am probably going to get some dynamat to compare it too also. Be a couple 3-4 weeks before I get to messing with that tho. My goal right now is to get the car painted. I want to get all the paint done in the next month before the weather turns cold. But I will let you know what Differences I find in the mat's,

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks pretty awesome Lou. love the pictures. Thanks
Tom
tomb's 65

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Great! I'm glad to see you posting your build again, your work is an inspiration to me for my 65 build. I am happy for the resources of all the builds on this site. I just hope Y'all don't mind me copying some of your ideas. I am trying to decide on the color of my car now, seems most of them are either red or black. My car was born red so I am thinking about it. I don't have the bodywork skills or patience to paint any car black though. I am in the stripping and priming state with mine so it won't have color until next year. I have most of the brightwork for my Cyclone at the chromer for refinishing now so I will be able to put the Cyclone specific bits back on the car. Thanks for posting your work, it is great to follow.
Douglas--------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:43 pm
Great! I'm glad to see you posting your build again, your work is an inspiration to me for my 65 build. I am happy for the resources of all the builds on this site. I just hope Y'all don't mind me copying some of your ideas. I am trying to decide on the color of my car now, seems most of them are either red or black. My car was born red so I am thinking about it. I don't have the bodywork skills or patience to paint any car black though. I am in the stripping and priming state with mine so it won't have color until next year. I have most of the brightwork for my Cyclone at the chromer for refinishing now so I will be able to put the Cyclone specific bits back on the car. Thanks for posting your work, it is great to follow.
Douglas--------------

As far as color, I went from red to black, then was kicking around a blue or purple. Then back to black with flames, but in the end just went with black. I think bodywork requires more patience than skill. Been following your build thread and you are doing very well with your build. I think you would be surprised how well your car would turn out black if that is what you decided.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

All down hill now!

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

Your Comet looks great Lou!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 am

All down hill now!

Lou
slick ! :D looks like it should be dripping !
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Cool shoot! 8)
Early last year I tried to find a black on black '65 Cyclone drag car that resided in the next town down the road many years ago. Drove around the old neighborhood, even dropped by the police station to find the owner but everything was locked up due to the Covid thing. Also had my eye on another but owner wouldn't sell. It's still sitting in a pasture, as far as I know. Always loved those cars.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Ooooo....Shiney!! 8) Looks great, Lou. :wink:

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys!

I have been working on the Comet, wasn't quite as ready for paint as I thought. Started getting things ready to jam, inside of doors, underside of trunk and hood. Was sanding inside of doors and noticed the 3 long slices/slits on the lower part. Outlined in red.

Didn't really see a reason for them. Also when you tapped the inside of the door it sounded pretty tinny. So I welded some steel rod into the slices and sealed with 8115. Made a huge difference when tapping on the metal, sounds a lot more solid.

One of the things top of my list during this build is I want the car to sound solid. So when you close the doors I want it to sound like my Tahoe, solid, not like a car from the sixties. After filling the slits I was looking at the three big openings in the door, and thought while I was at it I would make some plates to fill the openings. First made some "cheater strips"?? And welded those around the perimeter of the openings.

Then I cut some 16 gauge steel to make block off plates for the openings.

When all is done these will be installed with a silicone seal and screws to tighten the doors up and help quiet them some. The inside of the door skin will have Dynamat installed after doors are painted..

I did get the inside of the doors and underside of the trunk and hood sprayed. Tomorrow I will finish prepping the outside of doors, fenders and top of hood and trunk for paint. And hopefully get them sprayed Thursday.

Hard to believe Comet will finally be painted.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

As I was putting new moisture barrier plastic behind my door panels I was wondering about those slots. It must have been for any condensation getting on the plastic from inside the door can drip back in the door thru the slots & out the weep holes in bottom of the door. the factory dum dum holding the barrier on was right under those slots ....if I remember correctly. I think you got that problem covered :roll: 8)

congrats on the milestone! :D
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:10 pm
As I was putting new moisture barrier plastic behind my door panels I was wondering about those slots. It must have been for any condensation getting on the plastic from inside the door can drip back in the door thru the slots & out the weep holes in bottom of the door. the factory dum dum holding the barrier on was right under those slots ....if I remember correctly. I think you got that problem covered :roll: 8)

congrats on the milestone! :D
Thanks John!

I thought they may have been to hold the barrier, but has been so long since I disassembled them who knows.

On a different note. I seen on a different thread you are repainting your dash? I have been kicking around repainting the top of my dash. Right now it is gloss black like the rest of the car and a little afraid of glare when all is said and done. Think you may have already warned me in the past about it. But anyhow what do you plan on using for your dash? Flat? Satin? Semi gloss? You doing just the top part? I have been thinking of just using SEM trim paint in a spray can. Kind of a satin. I am using it on the inside of my hood scoops so will get a idea on its appearance later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your help John!

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That SEM is great stuff, used it on the dash pad and
did the dash in vinyl years ago, like 20 geez! Anyway it still looks good, isnt shiny but still shows in the right conditions.
Pretty hard to beat the problem completely.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about