Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:22 am

On a different note. I seen on a different thread you are repainting your dash? I have been kicking around repainting the top of my dash. Right now it is gloss black like the rest of the car and a little afraid of glare when all is said and done. Think you may have already warned me in the past about it. But anyhow what do you plan on using for your dash? Flat? Satin? Semi gloss? You doing just the top part? I have been thinking of just using SEM trim paint in a spray can. Kind of a satin. I am using it on the inside of my hood scoops so will get a idea on its appearance later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your help John!

Lou
As flat as I can get. I cant stand any glare from the windshield, even a letter on the dash will drive me crazy. even a little post it note !!! the factory uses flat & so will I. Yea while I have the windshield out gonna scuff & paint it. Probably use the sem trim paint like you. I've had good luck with it. even painted my steering wheel & it held up for a few years till I covered it.

Here is a pic of Ron's (comechero) dash with shiny paint on it,gives you an idea what ever you paint it you gonna be looking at . it reflects right in the line of site to the road.this is just a reflection with no glare. add glare & it gets dangerous. so better to make it something that doesn't aggravate you. lol :wink: :lol:
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 am
My dash does the same thing on a bright day :roll:
Better be 100% sober driving it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Has it been painted Joe ? red?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:25 am
Has it been painted Joe ? red?
Yep, glossy red. Doesn't have a pad.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

https://www.npdlink.com/product/interio ... lic/146355

Lou,Assuming you are going with black and want an original type look,spray it with a couple coats of semi gloss black and then 2,3 coats of this stuff. Not heavy coats...more of a dusting from about 15 inches.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou I just stumbled in to this & I may order a bottle & do a little test.
https://www.culturehustleusa.com/produc ... 2YQAvD_BwE
I found this 3.0 first , then saw the 2.0 above, which is cheaper
https://www.culturehustleusa.com/produc ... aint-150ml
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

After reading a little more it said not very durable so as I was making an amazon order already ,,,,I threw in a can of the sem flat black, looked at the ''ultra'' but went with flat;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P ... UTF8&psc=1
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I remember you guys telling me the same thing about not ending up with a shiny dash. So I painted it with the same red base coat and then sprayed it with a can of Rustoleum satin clear enamel. It turned out perfect and does not reflect. I also have a stock padded dash that I recovered installed. :D
Tom
Last edited by tomb22 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomb's 65

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Just a thought-
Dash pads are available for '64-'65 and they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Skip the Armor-All, park in a shady place :|

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:53 am
That SEM is great stuff, used it on the dash pad and
did the dash in vinyl years ago, like 20 geez! Anyway it still looks good, isnt shiny but still shows in the right conditions.
Pretty hard to beat the problem completely.
Bought the SEM trim paint and was a little disappointed, when I used it before(few years back tho) was pretty impressed with it. This time not so much, the spray wasn't as fine/nice as I remembered. Took a lot of coats to get the inside of my hood scoops nice. Did buy a extra can but not sure that is the direction I will go.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

vicegrip wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:44 am

Lou,Assuming you are going with black and want an original type look,spray it with a couple coats of semi gloss black and then 2,3 coats of this stuff. Not heavy coats...more of a dusting from about 15 inches.
Thanks, is that the color you used? Dark Charcoal Met.? I would think the Metallic would mess with the color.
poboyjo65 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:38 pm
After reading a little more it said not very durable so as I was making an amazon order already ,,,,I threw in a can of the sem flat black, looked at the ''ultra'' but went with flat;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks John, yea I was a little curious about the first ones too. Seemed more for arts and crafts than dash paint.
tomb22 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:16 am
I remember you guys telling me the same thing about not ending up with a shiny dash. So I painted it with the same red base coat and then sprayed it with a can of Rustoleum satin clear enamel. It turned out perfect and does not reflect. I also have a stock padded dash that I recovered installed. :D
Tom
Thanks Tom, this is a route I may take. Although I will probably just get some flattening agent and add to my clear. This way I can spray it out of my gun and not have to worry if the spray can gets a little temperamental. Thought the SEM would have done the trick but wasn't real happy with it. Looks ok inside the scoops but not the look I wanted for dash.

How did you recover the dash? I was just going to buy a repo.

Thanks everyone! Been staring at the top of my dash lately and remember what John said awhile back about the glare. I was going to chance it and leave it glossy but decided to much work to redo it later, better to just make it flat now.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

When we painted the interior of my Cyclone I wanted to make sure that I did not have glare on the windshield, the metal interior panels were painted red with a flatting agent added to the color. The top of the dash was painted a satin black, the padded portion of the dash was covered in red leather to match the rest of the interior and acts as a dividing line between the red and black paint. I have no glare and the black works real well with the factory dash mounted tach and camera case finish on the face of the dash panel.
Here is a poor photo of how it looks:
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

vicegrip wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:44 am

Yeah,Lou,the big money Mustang guys say this is "correct". I did use it. The NPD paint is just a top coat,not much metallic or pigment in it. IMO,looks really good...not jet black,not glittery or shiny.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

How did you recover the dash? I was just going to buy a repo.

I had bought some good black vinyl that I used for the back window shelf and used it to cover the old dash pad also. I used a 3M spray product to clue it to the old pad, but I had problems gathering it up on the ends. That's why I made some aluminum trim pieces to make it look cleaner. Somebody told me I could have shrunk the vinyl with a little heat. I don't know but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Here is a picture of the aluminum trim piece.

Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been moving along with my Comet. Finished painting my doors, fenders, hood and trunk at the end of Oct. I now have everything painted except for the front bumper gravel shield (forgot) and the gas filler door (MIA).

Been a few months since I painted, so I decided to start color sanding and buffing. I have everything sanded except the doors. When I originally cleared the doors I tripped on air hose and put the biggest run in the drivers door, then did it on a smaller scale to the pass door. So I waited a month and re-sprayed the doors. So I will sand and buff the doors last since the paint on the doors isn't 90 days old yet.

I should have most of it buffed by the end of next week. I will start with the sound deadening next, dash, wiring, headliner, etc. interior stuff. Then toward end of Feb I will sand, buff, and install doors.

Started making lists of things I need to get, the lists are long :(

But really cool seeing what the paint will look like after sanding and buffing. Adding some trim will really brighten things up !!

Looking forward to reassembly :)

Lou