Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Joe Travers »

Paint buffs out great, Lou! Yeah, chrome trim will really set her off nice :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Looks great!
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Colour! Well sorta they say black isnt a colour, anyway, thats a big hurtle! Congrats!
Being able to move on usually promotes renewed energy,,,, this year?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking really nice :D
Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys!

Fred,,, I think going to Mecum may have promoted the renewed energy. But anyhow I have cleared my schedule at the shop and plan on dedicating next few weeks to the Comet. As far as getting it done this year, that is the goal. Now getting parts may screw with that, and even though paint is done still a lot to do. The nice thing about where I am right now with the build is that there is so much to do. If I run into a problem with getting a part or such, I can just move on to a different area to work until part is available.

No "black" in the rainbow??

Thanks guys for the encouragement !!

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Lou: It is great to see your car in color. I can tell from the photos that it will be laser straight. Takes courage to paint a car black.
I have decided on the color combo for my build and I hope to get it in color by September or October. Still working for a few more months but I am out the door by Labor Day if not sooner. Your build is inspiring to me! Thanks for posting.
DR
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:37 am
Lou: It is great to see your car in color. I can tell from the photos that it will be laser straight. Takes courage to paint a car black.
I have decided on the color combo for my build and I hope to get it in color by September or October. Still working for a few more months but I am out the door by Labor Day if not sooner. Your build is inspiring to me! Thanks for posting.
DR
Thanks Doug, I don't know about courage, but very happy with how straight the car came out. Plus Black is cheap compared to other colors. What color did you decide on? Also enjoying your build. Actually like seeing all the builds that have been posted here.

Lou

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wow looks great Lou!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

comethead wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:35 am
Wow looks great Lou!
Thanks Joe

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been all over the map with the Comet. Wet sanded and buffed the quarter's, taillight panel, and panel between rear glass and trunk. Still have to do the cowl. Not doing roof because it will be covered in vinyl.

Needed a little break from the sanding and buffing so I rebuilt the door hinges and painted some small parts. The levers for the lower door hinge springs needed painted so when I did those I also painted a bunch of body shims. With the shims painted black they won't be as noticeable or rust. Only needed a few of them for each fender but decided having some extras just in case wouldn't be a bad idea. Stuck them on some tape so they didn't move around when spraying, did both sides.

Also started doing the sound deadening. Inside of Comet pretty dirty from sitting in shop so I have been cleaning it as I go. Started with rear wheel wells and inside rear qtr's.

Ordered the short block, and some engine stuff. Been going thru all my parts to see what I am missing, (another list lol). Found my rear gas door! Actually found 2 :) Got my headliner. After I finish the sound deadening inside of rear qtrs I will get back to the sanding and buffing. Hopefully get a lot done this week!

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:06 pm
Ordered the short block, and some engine stuff.
Hey Lou! Know you have this going on in the other thread but what did you settle on?
Great work on the body, BTW. I'm an engine nut, if you can't tell :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:20 am
Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:06 pm
Ordered the short block, and some engine stuff.
Hey Lou! Know you have this going on in the other thread but what did you settle on?
Great work on the body, BTW. I'm an engine nut, if you can't tell :roll:

Joe

363 Stroker. Man of War block, 4.125 bore, 3.400 stroke, 5.400 rods, forged internal balance crank, forged H beam rods, forged Mahle pistons. Got AFR 185 Renegade 58cc heads. 10:1 compression. Custom hydraulic roller billet camshaft, installed and degreed. Front sump oil pan package. Haven't decided what intake, carb, or distributor. Or clutch, water pump, etc lol.

But getting a short block is a big step forward.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Got yourself a stump puller 8)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Lou,getting everything you want on top of the motor and keeping it under a stock hood is probably going to be a challenge.The air cleaner thing is usually the big obstacle for me.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Pretty cool how engine technology has advanced since these cars were new. Streetable 302 now makes more power than Shelby's wild racing 289. Small-block stroker makes more power than FE 427 hi-riser. I'm old school, before aftermarket but did buy a few things from Ford Motorsport for my son when Fox bodies were his thing. :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop