Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:51 am
Lou beautiful craftsmanship!!
Im sure if I was to come by your shop and walk around your car not much would be said,, probably "FU" and my mouth would hang open,,,
Thanks Fred!
I think if you came to my shop we would have a lot to talk about..
Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:37 am

If I was in his shop I would beg him to work his magic on my car!
Some skills are learned over a lifetime and worth every red cent you can afford. Professional work.

Joe
Thanks Joe, been doing this for a long time.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Caveman49 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:38 am
Beautiful work Lou 👍 There are quite a few craftsmen here working their Comets, you, Jim and Jim, Fred, Joe, Johno, and so many others, really helps backyard mechanics like myself. Thanks for what you do.
Thanks Caveman!

I agree with ya, a lot of good people here, and a few that are no longer posting but have left their mark here, like Mike, Roy and Ron.

To me a cool car/build is not just a couple things like paint and engine, it is many things and details. And that is why this is such a cool place. It is all the people here.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:40 am
Thanks Joe, been doing this for a long time.
I figured that out when you started posting new black paint on the internet 👍

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been working on Comet here and there.

Been working at reassembly. Finished the vinyl roof, put rubber edging on the rear vinyl roof trim, where trim touches paint.

Picture of vinyl roof done,,,

Was going to start putting glass in but decided To look into new smoked glass??

Did a little paint work to engine.really didn't like the aluminum timing chain cover and water pump color, decided to paint them black to go with the block and pulley's.

Before

After

Also painted the tanks and brackets on the radiator black,

I really like the process of putting the car back together and how to tweak stuff to my liking. Decided since I wouldn't be using springs on my hood hinges that I had no need for the tabs that hold the springs. So I cut them off to tidy up the hinges.

Moved on to front fenders, and hood. I did pin the parts but that is no guarantee. So I took some commercial rubber floor coving and made some rubber washers for my fender, hood, and hinge bolts..

I will use these under the metal washers for initial assembly. Then once I get everything aligned and where I like it I will snug everything up. Then go back one at a time take the bolt and rubber washer out and replace it with a new fender bolt. This keeps everything from getting all scratched up during final assembly. And bolts all look nice when done. All the new bolts have been cleaned and painted satin black so all the bolts will match and have same color black for final assembly.

Fenders and hood hung

Also decided to get rid of the red on the V8 fender emblems, thought they would look better black.

Here is a picture of the hood hinges installed, like them a lot better with the tabs cut off. You can also see the rear rubber stopper for the rear of the hood. Makes it real easy to align the hood without having the tension of springs on the hinges. And it screws right into a existing hole, just add washer and jam nut.

Got 3/4 days before my next job comes in so I am hoping to get the front clip finished. Need to finish polishing the trim and Sargent bars. Also need to make my hood prop(s) before I screw something up with the broomstick :(

Also just to test fit I have 215/70/15's on front. Thinking they may be big and maybe should go with 205/70/15. Is anyone running 215/70/15 on the front of their Comet?

Looking forward to having some fun the next few days :) :)

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:58 pm
Also just to test fit I have 215/70/15's on front. Thinking they may be big and maybe should go with 205/70/15. Is anyone running 215/70/15 on the front of their Comet?
Lou, I'm running 215/65/15's on the front of mine. I occasionally get some scrubbing on the front edge of the fender lip on a turn with a dip in the road. Also, I get some scrub on the inside of the inner fender liner on a full lock turn in either direction. I only notice this when backing out of the garage. I will probably end up going to a 205/65 or 205/60 to solve the problem. I'm running 7" TTII's with a 3.75 BS.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou I wouldn't worry about tires till the weight and any rake you intend to have are in the car.
That will help dictate size for fender clearance.
I'll probably end up with a 205/50-15 front to stay off the fender for the most part on mine.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Love the way the panel in front of the trunk looks shorter now with the vinyl top & trim & the deleted trim pieces, the fake brake air ducts or what ever they are supposed to be,ski rack? :? Crack covers? but anyway all of that area looks way better your way. motor & all looks right at home.

I have 215/60/15 & still have a little rub on the rt front. Probably from trying to get more caster with the adjustable strut rods. but I'm hoping Jim's tip about adjusting/pulling out the front fender will help. I made some little extensions for the fender braces to be longer.
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Sweeeeet looking ride Lou!
Motor Safe,
Lee

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Guys!! Think I am going to try 205/70/15's on the front.

John yea not sure what those trim pieces where called but glad I deleted them.

Been making some process, cleaning and polishing trim pieces, installing and aligning front clip, and just picking at whatever..
When installing pieces I use white lithium grease on all the fasteners, helps things go together and saves the paint. Especially when installing J nuts. Also easy to clean off when done.

After I got the fenders on and aligned had to move the doors just a little for gaps to be right. Once the doors where aligned I aligned the door latch post's. Easiest way to do this is with some tape, wrap some masking tape around it then close the door. You will see the mark in the tape to help ya center the post.

Moved on to sanding and polishing my new Sargent bars. While I was sanding them I thinking of what to use for the original rubber blocks for mounting them. Then I laid the sanding block down beside one of the original rubber blocks and Duh! Same thickness, and same firmness! Just laid some 3/4" tape on sanding block for guide and cut some 3/4" squares, then drilled some 11/32" holes in them and done,,, just like the old ones. In the picture I have the old ones circled in blue.

Sanding and polishing the Sargent bars, grille emblem, and other small pieces is easier when mounted to a small piece of wood or a couple paint sticks taped together.

Got the trim all done and mounted for the drivers side. Close up of the fender with the new Sargent bars and V8 emblem done in black.

Here is a picture of the drivers side with trim installed and panels aligned.

Starting to look like a car again! Really happy with how everything is going together. Got to admit big smile when I light up my shop in the morning!

Lou

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Beautiful work Lou! Your attention to detail is amazing.
Motor Safe,
Lee

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:00 am

Got to admit big smile when I light up my shop in the morning!

Lou
Got to admit big smile down here 600 miles south of it too! :D looks fabulous!!!

looking forward to tips on windshield install, rear window & package tray cover.

does rear window need to come out to re cover the package tray?

I would like to put off putting a new rear window seal in but looks like it'd be much easier with window out.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

She's looking sharp, Lou 👍

Nothing cleaner than a shiny black straight paint job.
Nothing dirtier than a wavy one.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Everything looks fabulous, Lou! That trim against the black just POPS. 8) What are you using to sand/polish your bars and center emblem?

Jim

comethead

Post by comethead »

Wow the car looks awesome Lou! Digging the vinyl top and all that purdy trim!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Caveman49 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:55 am
Beautiful work Lou! Your attention to detail is amazing.
Thanks Lee,, appreciate the kind words,
poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Got to admit big smile down here 600 miles south of it too! :D looks fabulous!!!

looking forward to tips on windshield install, rear window & package tray cover.

does rear window need to come out to re cover the package tray?

I would like to put off putting a new rear window seal in but looks like it'd be much easier with window out.
Thanks John. I bought the board for the rear package tray at Carlisle last month, forget what it is called but it is already black and has a little grain to it. It is big enough to make two if I screw one up. I don't think the rear window would need to come out to replace the rear tray but not positive. I would like to put the rear window in first then the tray just so I don't damage tray during window install. Probably going to be awhile before glass install. Thinking seriously about getting new glass, prob smoked.

Thanks again for the latch bracket, I cleaned it up over weekend and will paint it in the next few days. Your definition of rust and mine are different, LOL, But hey I am from pa. Very happy with how nice it is!!

Lou