Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by Lou's Comet »

Been taking it easy from surgery. But doctor told me I can get back to it with easier stuff. So decided to start my vinyl roof install.
Marked the center of the vinyl top and also marked the center of my roof. Test fitted it to make sure the seams were right.
Then started to mask off where the vinyl will stop. Installed the chrome trim behind rear window and masked the outside edge. Then went in another 1/4" so the vinyl ended under the trim and not at the outside edge.

Then did the rain gutters. Ran 3/4" tape from upper edge down around the underneath. Then ran some 1/8" blue fine line tape around the bottom edge.

This way I used the blue tape as a guide so I would have a consistent line on the inside of the gutter, trying to do the inside without the guide tape sucked... I ran another 3/4" masking tape up against the blue guide tape rolled it over to the inside and it gave me a nice line inside the gutter

Sanded the roof with a scotch pad and cleaned with wax and grease cleaner. Masked off the rest of the car and started in the middle of the roof. Lined up the center line on the vinyl and the center line on the roof, clamped it and then folded it in half, ( with plastic in between ) sprayed the glue on the roof and vinyl a little past where the seams are. Put three coats on each, after it tacked up I un folded it and install half at a time, from the center to the seam. Then did the other half. Really wasn't too bad, had a friend to help. Used a rubber roller to press it down. Right now I hav the roof glued down from seam to seam. When I get back Sunday I will do from the seams to the gutters, the sails, and the rear part under the glass. Couple pictures where I am at.

The lumps above the windshield are screw I put in the holes for the clips. This way I don't have to hunt them.

This was one of those things The more I thought about it the more I dreaded it. And in the end wasn't bad at all. Breaking it down into a two day install helps. But for my first one I am really happy with it so far.

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looks great, Lou! You are definitely the King of Clips. :lol:

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Jim,

Yea been getting my money out of those clips! :)

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Finished installing my vinyl roof. Really wasn't that bad. Not perfect but I am very happy with it, extremely happy it is done.

Next day or so polish the trim and install it. Then need to look at my glass.

Lou

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

May not meet up to your perfection standards, but it looks pretty darn perfect to me! 8)

Jim

JimsHot66

Post by JimsHot66 »

Looks great!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Dang that looks great Lou! :D That stuff would look great on the package tray too! I've been looking at different stuff to do my tray with. Does it sell by the yard or how did it come?
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looks awesome Lou. Great job :D
Tom
tomb's 65

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys!

John it came with the seams already in it and rough cut. Had to form and trim it.

https://www.ecklers.com/falcon-vinyl-to ... 016-1.html

Did you try Joann fabrics for something for the rear package tray? Probably where I am going to go for mine. The sell by the yard. Was hoping to have a piece big enough left over from headliner but wasn't big enough.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Admire your patience and due diligence, Lou!

That would him driven me nuts. :?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Joe.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou beautiful craftsmanship!!
Im sure if I was to come by your shop and walk around your car not much would be said,, probably "FU" and my mouth would hang open,,,
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:51 am
Im sure if I was to come by your shop and walk around your car not much would be said,, probably "FU" and my mouth would hang open,,,
If I was in his shop I would beg him to work his magic on my car!
Some skills are learned over a lifetime and worth every red cent you can afford. Professional work.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

Beautiful work Lou 👍 There are quite a few craftsmen here working their Comets, you, Jim and Jim, Fred, Joe, Johno, and so many others, really helps backyard mechanics like myself. Thanks for what you do.
Motor Safe,
Lee

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Caveman49 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:38 am
There are quite a few craftsmen here working their Comets, you, Jim and Jim, Fred, Joe, Johno, and so many others, really helps backyard mechanics like myself. Thanks for what you do.
Ditto. Some folks are just naturals @ bodywork & paint. I am not one.
Cut my teeth on a '78 Econoline, needed dentures by the time I finished.
A rational guy would start with a Harley or a VW, work your way up :roll:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop