Lou's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: Lou's 65 Comet Build

Post by SASSY »

So Lou,,,, it's been a while what's happen here?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:So Lou,,,, it's been a while what's happen here?
Fred
LIFE. Few years ago son and his family moved to NC for residency, so last couple years when we had extra time/money we headed there to see them and grandson. This July he finished up and we moved them back to Pa. Figured I would get back on the Comet. Then in August fiancé started having bad pains chest/shoulder, they couldn't figure out at first what from. In Oct woke up to a crashing noise and found her out on floor. Rushed to hospital and found out she had four minor strokes and a mass in her chest pushing against heart, lung, arteries and nerves. Ended up being cancer. She had a lot of complications, a lot! some pretty scary stuff! She spent pretty much all of nov in hospital. Once she got stable the chemo and radiation started. Good news is they say she will be ok and they can get rid of it all, nothing has spread. But my shop has been shut down since end of oct and the treatment will continue till beginning of feb. but again she is going to be ok!!

Everything goes ok I will be back on Comet feb/March. Came close to selling it but didn't, but things are looking good! And got some summit gift cards I have been saving so going to order my wiring stuff soon.

Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Sounds like you got a double helping of life, some good some not so good. Hoping and praying it will all work out for you and glad you have been able to keep the Comet.

I think everyone here would agree that you are a great asset to this group.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Mike!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I think everyone here would agree that you are a great asset to this group.

See Ya,
Mike[/quote]
I agree with this 100% !!!good luck to you and yours in the on coming future !!! POP
pop/glenda

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Pop!
It is going to be a good year. Wish you and your family the best for the new year.

Lou

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks for sharing Lou. I have missed your input. I can relate to your experience with your fiance. My wife is a survivor of lung cancer. You and your family will be in our prayers.
Looking forward to seeing you complete your car.
tom
tomb's 65

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I, too, can relate, Lou. My daughter is a breast cancer survivor. She's back to running half marathons now. The hard part is putting up with the treatments, but they'll be over soon. Wishing both of you the best.

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks Tom, Thanks Jim, it is good to here about survivors.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Started painting my Comet. Been a few years since I did anything on it.
It is at the point where all it basically needs is wet sanded with 600 and sprayed.

I started with the front fenders. Got this Idea from Ripper a few years back. Already had the inside of the fenders sprayed with epoxy primer and primer/surfacer. Sanded the inside with 220 and sprayed 2 coats of Raptor bed liner. Did this mostly to help with sound deadening.

Did not spray the raptor on any of the mounting surfaces, didn't want to affect the panel alignment. Waited a day and scuffed the Raptor, then painted and jammed the inner fenders in black/clear.

Next I did the engine compartment, front aprons, cowl, etc. this was probably the biggest pain to spray. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Also before I sprayed the cowl I cleaned up the inside of it and did that with the Raptor too. This way when car is all done if you look through the cowl vents it looks good.

But anyways the plan is to get everything painted in the next few weeks. Will do the shell first ,then the hood,trunk, fenders,and doors.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Lou, great to see!
Pics look good, so hard to capture black but after following your build if you say your happy with it,, stunning is probably a better word to describe the results.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Oh WOW engine bay looks like hot wet tar! beautiful!!! :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Looking great, Amigo!
I like the bed liner idea on the inside of the fenders. I was very surprised and happy when I found that treatment under my '63.
Was also glad the floors weren't but plan on it if I get around to the front pans. Are you going to shoot the floor?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:27 am
Hey Lou, great to see!
Pics look good, so hard to capture black but after following your build if you say your happy with it,, stunning is probably a better word to describe the results.
Fred
Not sure I would call it stunning, but I am very happy with. Also nice to be working on it again. Got a lot of the remaining shell wet sanded today. Had no urges to modify anything so I am thinking shell will be ready for paint Wednesday or Thursday.
poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:20 am
Oh WOW engine bay looks like hot wet tar! beautiful!!! :D
Thanks John, thrilled with how well it flowed. Really didn't want to color sand and buff the eng bay. Came out nice enough I won't have to do anything.

Lou

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:16 pm
Looking great, Amigo!
I like the bed liner idea on the inside of the fenders. I was very surprised and happy when I found that treatment under my '63.
Was also glad the floors weren't but plan on it if I get around to the front pans. Are you going to shoot the floor?

Joe
Thanks Joe,

I already painted the floor(underneath)

Inside I have the floor shot in black epoxy primer. I will use a butyl type sound deadener for the inside floor. Something like dynamat but prob a cheaper version like the summit brand. Used ram audio mat on a few other builds but can't access their website. Thinking they went out of business.. so I need to find a new brand.
But couldn't use the mat on the fenders. I seen where Ripper used the Raptor on his Falcon fenders and copied his Idea. Pleased with the results.

Lou