poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: poboyjo's ride

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks guys, I'll go to the parts store & save a few dollas. Thats what I used in the trunk. I'll ask about something better behind the counter.
The gm dist is coming out sooner or later. it was easy on another build, because of the one wire hook up. it will go in the trunk, just in case I ever have firing trouble out on the road. Ratical I sent you a pm.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:I hate to tell ya but that's a GM distributor. It goes in the back of the engine not the front. :shock:
KINDA makes that FORD motor look like a MOR-FA-DITE,don't it :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I put the motor in to mock up some things,
rad/fan clearance
I'm moving the seats back for more leg room & I wanted the shifter back there with me so I found a toploader from a 70 torino with a long tailshaft
since I didnt know where my shifter was going to mount I made a long plate that I can mount it anywhere on it
front floors are bad

someones poor patchwork
need toeboards & torque box need some patchwork
I took the f torque boxes off my partscar as well as the upper toeboards which I need since the ones from autokrafters arent long enuff
I'll get some patches from the torque boxes. I will most likely have the outer part of them & maybe the whole passenger side one left over if anyone needs them let me know. I will also have some good rockers but it will be a while before I cut those off.
I put a seat in with the seatrack extentions that I made & found where I want my shifter
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Looking good! Sharpen up the Sawzall and lets have some fun!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had to cut a piece off the humpbrace for clearance for the linkages
The mounting hole for the crossmember was cut off so I had to make one
I bolted the brake cable bracket on in case I didnt get it in the right place
this is before I welded it together. I had to make the mount hole on the other side of the brake cable hole
I'm using a steering colume from a 77 truck which is the right length for my plan of rack & pinion. it is shorter than a comet & stops just past the firewall & had a ball bearing & a shaft collar lock. I removed the three speed linkage levers & shift tube, then cut a patch & welded up the slot
it has the shaft from a comet. I'll have to cut it & have flats machined on it for a u joint after I get the fatman strut kit & some headers mocked up.

Before I put the floors in I'm making some frame connectors ,so that will be next.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

John;looking good!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Groover

Post by Groover »

Yes it does, quite a plan you've got going and the progress looks good. Keep it up.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

John, nice fab work on those parts. Keep the pics coming. Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;meant to put this in the other post.Where did you get those work lights? They look like they are very handy!!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

thanks guys. here are the seat track extentions that I made, with a piece of rubber under the inside legs. you can see holes where I went back too far ( 5'' ) then drilled some holes in them 3 '' back from stock which is just about right for me. I have extra room too, for those long rides.
bucket seat tracks are different on convertibles
got my seats back. I had the center part from original bench seat covers sewn in to new borders. Thanks to Albert for the covers. I decided to go with buckets & had already bought them so....
the backs are aluminum speed limit signs (20 mph Pop & no , I didnt steal them :lol: ) covered with the backs of the benchseat cover

I'm making my steering wheel smaller
the chrome bands are clocked different but I like it . it's about 3/4'' smaller on both sides or 1 1/2 total smaller o.d.
I like having different projects going at the same time incase I get tired of one I just hop on something else.
I am making a shifter boot base out of the top of a shock tower
Roy the lights are black & decker snake lights. a buddys dad must have got a deal on a load of them. he gave them to all his buddys. I didnt like them at first (bulky) but they grow on you after you use them.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

OK wheres the order form for the modified steering wheel? :wink:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe just send me your steering wheel, I'll get on it as soon as I get done with this car! :lol:
I got a little more work done on it. I used the PC-7 epoxy. after filling in the cracks & sanded some I noticed the wheel was brittle on the back side. so I just coated it all over. I figure if it looks bad I'll slap a cover on it. It still needs another coat in places.
after a LOT of sanding, its easy to hop off this for a while.

I want to thank Lous comet, & everybody else on here that has a build thread again for taking the time to take pics, post pics, explain what they did & why. also anyone who just helps with their knowledge & inspiration, I appreciate it.

using Lous 65 comet build as a guild , I started on the subframe connectors. I have one built. I used 3x2 1/8 wall tubing 7 ft long. I have another set of rear framerails to move inwards almost 5'' like Lou did

I cut the top off the tubing where the front floors are
then made some relief cuts & bent down the sides
tacked in a top
capped the top & opened up the relief cuts for welds to the old frame.
the factory made the front rails from two pieces. I'm trying to connect everything. I'll do some plug welds
you can see how far it will go in the new rail by looking at the old rail behind it
the 3x2 tubing fits good inside both upper front & rear rails
I left all of the torque box on the new rail that was flat. had to flatten out a couple areas where it will overlap the old t box.

I opened up the left rear torque box, looks pretty good ! so now I'm getting that side ready & will build the other connector before I forget how I did the first one.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Looks like your moving right along. You deserve a pat on the back as well. Looking good. Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looking real good John, gonna be one solid ride when you're finished. Keep it up and keep the photos coming.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;WOW,looks very solid,nice work!! I stitch welded the pieces that make up the front subframes,could see where some spot welds had popped loose,also stitched the firewall to the subframes. ROY.