poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by poboyjo65 »

Caveman49 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:36 am
You’ve apparently worked with adhesive before, it helps to have the tools. What did the adhesive dispenser set you back, $90 - $100?

Am I seeing that right, you cut the hats off 😲 might just patch ‘em like Jim mentioned.

Motor Safe,
Lee
Yes I have used it before Lee but Lou is my coach, :wink: & it's been so long I forgot what I knew about it,other than all the work it saved me & how easy it was. I'm so glad He has refreshed my memory on how to apply it. Here is the one I got ;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255313721411?h ... 3b71e23843

Lou as always I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me & anyone who reads & needs this. I was going to ask you about how much it might take for this. I was thinking 1 tube might not be enough for the cowl. I think I'll wait & make sure I dont need 2 more tubes. I've been calling this session of work to the car the ''Windshield snowball''. It's all of the little things I told myself I'd do when I put the windshield in. When I first started it I wanted to get done & back on the road quick. :roll: but with gas prices so high it's a good time to do it all,& old age creeping up on me I know for some of this work it's now or never for me & as Po as I am cant afford to pay someone to do it. So I decided let let that snowball roll. before the cowl gets glued down I have the hat covers,some patches at tops of the a pillars. & couple other hairbrained ideas have popped up so think I'll wait & make sure one more tube will be enough.

think I'll make & glue on some speaker boxes for outside of the kick panels while the fenders are off.

it just keeps staring at me saying look how easy it would be to cut the hole for the speaker from outside! :lol:
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:45 pm
A/FX/Jim my hats off to you! :)
Johno,
Im glad I could help, sometimes another set of eyes really helps when trying to figure something out. I have not had any real experience with the modern day adhesives, so I would have spot welded the panel in place, I have a Lenco spot welder that is perfect for an application like the cowl panel.
I do have another tip for anyone who is keeping the fresh air supply for the heating system. When my car was in bare metal after being chemically stripped I was mocking up the heater because I wanted to move the coolant supply line location on the firewall, I had a NOS rubber boot that connects the top of the heater to the underside of the cowl supply sleeve but it had become rotten from sitting on the shelf for 40 years.
I then looked for a replacement but the only units I could find were just as old so the could be as rotten as the one I had. I looked into what a Mustang used and found that they used a round foam ring. The ring would fit the top of the Comet heater but the cowl sleeve needed a round sleeve above the heater like the ‘Stang had. I formed up a cylinder of 14 gauge sheet metal and welded it to the Comet sleeve, installed the foam ring and the heater, it works perfectly. No more rubber boot that gets rotten and leaks air into the passenger compartment. I used this foam ring: https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics ... XkQAvD_BwE
Maybe this will help someone else.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:51 pm
Jim, thanks for the heads up.
I need to replace the cowl seal on the heater box on my car and found all '60-'65 Falcon, Comet & Mustang heater boxes to be identical according to suppliers. I'm assuming the seals are as well?

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:47 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:51 pm
Jim, thanks for the heads up.
I need to replace the cowl seal on the heater box on my car and found all '60-'65 Falcon, Comet & Mustang heater boxes to be identical according to suppliers. I'm assuming the seals are as well?

Joe
Joe,
I would think the seals interchange between those models but I know the Comet/Falcon seal is more expensive. Installing the sleeve as I mentioned is more difficult with the car intact but I would think it could be “glued” in place instead of welding it as I did. Any local sheet metal shop could roll the metal ring, I happen to have a roller so I fabricated my own.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea comet falcon & mustang all use same box. I ordered the heater foam kit for a mustang that replaces all the internal foam on the flaps & doors inside the box & it came with the heater to cowl foam ring (for a mustang ,which is the only thing different than a comet) . I ordered an extra foam ring & glued them together with super glue & it worked great. you can open the heater box door & feel up in the top to help install it & make sure it is all seated properly. 2 of them is about a half inch taller than it needs to be so it gets pressed down & makes a good seal .

Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

John, is that the area where you were talking about adding the cabin filter. I wasn't clear on your description earlier. All your work is looking great, as usual. You need to come to PF this year and show it off. 8)

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Recalculating the heater filter Jim, but yes that's the area. thinking about this square filter, which is thinner & with the hat closed off will have right at 2'' of space above it to breath from inside the cabin . looks like it has foam all around it & a little pull strap . I could build a little box on top of the heater.for it to slide in to from the driver side so it could be changed when needed.
pic of area. I could use part of the mustang foam ring glued to the filter box that I build so I could just have the box slide on top of the heater via mustang ring.

follow me now Jim?
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:18 pm
Yea comet falcon & mustang all use same box. I ordered the heater foam kit for a mustang that replaces all the internal foam on the flaps & doors inside the box & it came with the heater to cowl foam ring (for a mustang ,which is the only thing different than a comet) . I ordered an extra foam ring & glued them together with super glue & it worked great. you can open the heater box door & feel up in the top to help install it & make sure it is all seated properly. 2 of them is about a half inch taller than it needs to be so it gets pressed down & makes a good seal .

Actually your idea of stacking two foam rings together should work just fine. Much easier than fabing a ring and installing it with adhesive or welding.
See, the more eyes the better!
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A/FXJim yes it worked great,that's the way I did it the first go around. I found that tip on this forum somewhere. one idea spurs other great ideas so it's great that we can share with each other from so far apart .
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:15 pm
A/FXJim yes it worked great,that's the way I did it the first go around. I found that tip on this forum somewhere. one idea spurs other great ideas so it's great that we can share with each other from so far apart .
I'll second that
Tom
tomb's 65

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Yea comet falcon & mustang all use same box. I ordered the heater foam kit for a mustang that replaces all the internal foam on the flaps & doors inside the box & it came with the heater to cowl foam ring (for a mustang ,which is the only thing different than a comet) .
Checked my box, looks like the Mustang seal (1.5" too short). Found the Comet seal, has ring clamp around the top? Also two clips, appear to attach to interior hat like the driver's side vent on '63.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:31 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Yea comet falcon & mustang all use same box. I ordered the heater foam kit for a mustang that replaces all the internal foam on the flaps & doors inside the box & it came with the heater to cowl foam ring (for a mustang ,which is the only thing different than a comet) .
Checked my box, looks like the Mustang seal (1.5" too short). Found the Comet seal, has ring clamp around the top? Also two clips, appear to attach to interior hat like the driver's side vent on '63.

Joe
Pretty sure 63 is just like 65s . You gotta stack 2 mustang seals together with super glue . the comet seal is higher priced than mustang seal & heater foam kit combined . (& the foam kit comes with one stang seal). or at least it was 7-8 years ago when I did mine.
Johno

Caveman49

Post by Caveman49 »

[/quote]
Yes I have used it before Lee but Lou is my coach, :wink: & it's been so long I forgot what I knew about it,other than all the work it saved me & how easy it was. I'm so glad He has refreshed my memory on how to apply it. Here is the one I got ;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255313721411?h ... 3b71e23843

Lou as always I appreciate you taking the time to explain to me & anyone who reads & needs this. I was going to ask you about how much it might take for this. I was thinking 1 tube might not be enough for the cowl. I think I'll wait & make sure I dont need 2 more tubes. I've been calling this session of work to the car the ''Windshield snowball''. It's all of the little things I told myself I'd do when I put the windshield in. When I first started it I wanted to get done & back on the road quick. :roll: but with gas prices so high it's a good time to do it all,& old age creeping up on me I know for some of this work it's now or never for me & as Po as I am cant afford to pay someone to do it. So I decided let let that snowball roll. before the cowl gets glued down I have the hat covers,some patches at tops of the a pillars. & couple other hairbrained ideas have popped up so think I'll wait & make sure one more tube will be enough.

think I'll make & glue on some speaker boxes for outside of the kick panels while the fenders are off.

it just keeps staring at me saying look how easy it would be to cut the hole for the speaker from outside! :lol:
[/quote]

👍
Motor Safe,
Lee

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Great idea for speaker location!!!
But alas, I have the ecm on the right side :( .

And the ebrake on the left :(
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

ECM? whats that? Eric Clapton's Music? :D Yea Fred another tip I found on here,cant remember who did it. Hey thanks for the pics. wish it was zoomed back a little so I could see the floor but that hole gives me reference. I was wondering how close the heater was & how low it hangs.probably need to set the heater in before cutting the hole to be sure. thinking about 6x9's but round speakers might fit better. gotta cover from an old ac central unit that I'm going to make the boxes from,I know Mike would like that. :) decided to make them bigger at top & smaller at the bottom,hoping 4'' deep is good enough,afraid it'll contact the fender if I get too greedy.

Johno