poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Just my opinion but I think it look WRONG to have the rearend back!!! It is your car,do it how you like it!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Jim ! I'm kinda leaning towards stretching the opening . I have quarter work to do, might as well get it over with. but may do the spring holes in an old set of springs so I can put it off a little longer :wink:
Johno

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Roy your probably right. With my new leafs my car is about six inches higher than it should be and it may have been an illusion. While I had the rims and tires off for the rim swap and a little time on my hands I drilled new holes. With the rims and tires back on I am going to put a bout 10 bags of cement on the rear end. If it doesn't look right I'll switch back. Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This pic of Lous comet is why I'm leaning towards the stretch. although it was fine for stock tires it , to me it looks like the opening should have been more forward to match the wells. I guess they were trying for the illusion of lenth.
Johno

thos25

Post by thos25 »

Hey Man, All I can say about your picture gallery and your car is: DYNAMITE!! You really did a beautiful job all around and sh :D ould be very proud of your ride and your fine work!!
CONGRADULATIONS AND KIND REGARDS,TOM :D

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks Tom! I appreciate you saying that although it looks better in pics than up close.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I hope I'm getting close to ready to weld all this in. I opened up the front torque boxes to drill for some plug welds. Picked up some 1 1/2''x 3 tubing , gonna use for braces in line with the crossmember
more drilling
same tubing in front of rear t boxes. I plan to reskin the tops of t boxes after all this frame work.
I drilled 1/8'' holes up thru the new frame rails then enlarged the holes in the floor to 3/8''
I left the part of the donor cars floor skin on the rails for strength, so I used a 3/8'' spot weld cutter to drill thru the skin only. I'll weld from inside the car & wanted good penetration thru to the frame flange
The new rails will be 4 7/8 inches inward from the old ones.
still need to get some rust off & treat the areas that will get covered up before welding.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Keep 'em coming. Looking good. I wish I had filled my front frame rails like that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

John;WOW,your Comet is really going to be solid when you finish!! It is a lot of work but you will be glad you did it when you get it on the road!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

Man thats looking awesome!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Too Cool!

Looks like you made some real progress! Some nice work.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks guys, time to get away from it a while & head for the mountains!
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Thanks guys, time to get away from it a while & head for the mountains!
Have a few cold ones for me amigo!!! :x

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I got the car level by making some adjustable add ons for jack stands. my floor isnt level ,car is on ramps but since it didnt sit level beforehand, I tried to get it better. we shot it with a transit & checked it at the rockers & corners of the frame . side to side was all we could check but its good. put doors back on & they shut & open good.

also have stands under the rockers, sooner or later I'll take the rearend & old framerails out & I wanted it to stay level.
I bolted on the rails with screws & checked measurments, got it right then tightened it down & checked measurments again.

opened up the t boxes

made some tops with extra on the back to patch the rusty lapped seam. I put angles on both sides to keep that part flat while I curled the back patch.

I cut the inner flange off & screwed the tops down. also made some floor patches for next to the hump & screwed them on

Made some little round patches with a holesaw for the drainholes & welded them in to practice welding a little. I figured if I need a hole to drain I can drill one!

I think I'll get plenty of practice

I'll put another bead around the perimeter of these lapped patches when I get under there

A buddy said he could weld good & needed some beer money. said he could weld overhead too! :D

I thought I might start him out INSIDE the torque box , out of sight. It was a good idea ! I bought him some beer anyway. :roll:

I think he was used to thick metal, like 1/2''. :roll: I'll do the rest of the welding, be it good bad or ugly! :lol:
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Wow, John. That's a lot of work you've put in since the last time I checked, but it continues to look great. It sure will be solid. Your engineering continues to impress me. Can't wait to see it.... next summer ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...