poboyjos ride

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: poboyjos ride

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

JOHN;Looking very solid,keep after it and it will be done in no time!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:John;WOW,your Comet is really going to be solid when you finish!! It is a lot of work but you will be glad you did it when you get it on the road!! ROY.

+ 5 - AGREED!
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Looks great...
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

comethead

Post by comethead »

John that's some legit metal work there. Looks great!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks guys! I want it solid in case it goes wild like Roys did. :lol: Joe I dont know if it's legit but I am feeling better about my welding after seeing my buddys.
I did the vertical plugwelds on the sides of the torque boxes. still lots of welding to do under there.

was wondering if it was burning in good enuff on the rear framerails -plugwelds. I think I'll stitch weld some on the bottom, edge of frame flange to bottom.
I'm a little burn out on squatting in the back floor welding so I'm gonna get some metal ready to finish boxing in the rear rails. being back in the trunk wont seem so bad after the back floors, at least I can stand up!

Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;I really like how you tied your subframe connectors into the floor and the rockers!After 48+ years,and a lot of use,abuse,and possible rust issues,these old Comets need all the help they can get! Looking good so far,keep it going!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Roy I cant take credit for that. I'm just following the lead of Lou,Sassy & few others on here who have build threads with pictures. I bought a welder about 5 years ago & have been trying to learn how to weld, since I havent welded since high school & that was a stick welder. I quit saying I cant & started saying I'm gonna try it! I did work at a machine shop but I ran some crazy ass high speed drilling machines, but I did alot of watching & asked alot of questions. monkey see- monkey do!
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

John ya made some real progress that's great! Looks good!

At the rate your going yours will be done before mine :cry: LOL

Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;like you,I had stick welded and some gas welding before I got my first MIG welder.I also,like you,watched and asked a lot of questions before I struck my first arc with a MIG.I started on the floors on my wagon,figured I could not hurt anything as they were junk anyway.I progressed to where I felt good enough to try a 12X8 patch panel,turned out great,no stopping me now ,still learning every time I strike the torch!!I would still like to learn TIG welding!!To me,welding is like painting,the more you do it,the better you get!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Roy I jumped in the deep end right off the bat. I bought a new bed from LMC truck for my 76 F-100. couldnt get a short bed so I got a long one. several ppl told me they could shorten it, but after a year of waiting I bought the welder & did it my self. I practiced a little on some old truck bedside metal then jumped in on the bed. since the new metal did much better than my practice metal, I did a fair job I think. when I did some 6'' X6'' patches on 1 of the doors it got even easier since I could lay the door on a table & see it better & gravity wasnt working against me. I was really nervous when I first started on the new bed but now I feel good about doing sheet metal. I'm still concerned about doing these frames but not ''nervous'' because I havent cut the old frame off yet. it is fun to learn new things & no stopping me now either unless this frame falls off! :roll: but it seems that welding thicker stuff is easier , faster & less burn thru after a couple million tackwelds on the thin stuff! smaller tig welder prices have been dropping over the last several years, I've been wanting to try it too, maybe someday!
Lou's Comet wrote:John ya made some real progress that's great! Looks good!

At the rate your going yours will be done before mine :cry: LOL

Lou
I really dont think so Lou! & I KNOW it wont look as GOOD as yours!
Thanks guys,for your inputs & a pat on the back always feels good!!!! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote: monkey see- monkey do!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some of the best creations come from guys like you because you have no idea what you can't do!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Fred;I Like that comment,PERFECT!!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: Fred I like that too! coming from the king of "use what you got & make it fit", :lol: Thanks! it reminds me of a quote I saw somewhere of Henry Fords, " whether you you think you can or you can't, your usually right" .
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I got a lot of the welding done on the bottom. I also cut my rear end out. It was So easy ! cut the shackels & front leaf mount & slice of the old frame

Then I cut the old frames out & one of the inner wheel wells

I set a 10'' wheel in there just for an eye test

10'' torque thrust Ds are what I'm thinking .
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Munssey

Post by Munssey »

Looking good!