Throttle linkage

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
mercuryman

Throttle linkage

Post by mercuryman »

Does anyone have any pictures of the throttle linkage from the firewall to the carb on a 65? Mine is a coppled up mess. Trying to get it right.

comethead

Re: Throttle linkage

Post by comethead »

V8?
If so, here you go; stock linkage on a stock intake:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

66 2 barrel,not sure if it's the same.

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Sorry.. It is a V8. An aftermarket 5.0 with a 4 barrel. Thanks comethead, its set up exactly like the pics you have. I thought the PO just coppled it up like that. Doesnt seem like a very good design, does it? Carb doesnt seem to open all the way and linkage has some slop in it. Does it just need adjustment or are there aftermarket kits with a better design?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I use a cable setup from a 73 Lincoln,works slick!! I had to make a small bracket to space out the pedal pivot.I use a universal cable bracket at the carburetor. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Post by comethead »

mercuryman wrote:Sorry.. It is a V8. An aftermarket 5.0 with a 4 barrel. Thanks comethead, its set up exactly like the pics you have. I thought the PO just coppled it up like that. Doesnt seem like a very good design, does it? Carb doesnt seem to open all the way and linkage has some slop in it. Does it just need adjustment or are there aftermarket kits with a better design?
Cobbled together?? C'mon! Thats some high-tech monkey-motion going on there!! :lol: :lol:

If you decide to stick with the stock stuff you can adust the WOT at the vertical rod (bellcrank to firewall linkage) and at the bellcrank to carb rod. I had trouble with it too so I made an adjustable bellcrank to carb rod out of a threaded 65-66 Mustang throttle rod. I cut it to length and bent it to resemble the original non-adjustable rod. Now I can fine tune it at the carb.

I made a diagram of it for another guy:

In Bob Mannels SBF book he mentions that Ford made both fixed and adjustable links depending on year/carb/trans. I couldnt find a used adjustable one so I had to make it.

Joe

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Thanks comethead. I guess cobbled is a bit harsh but it does kinda look like monkey bars. :roll: It just so happens that I have a spare 65/66 throttle rod in the shop. Gonna give that fix a try and hope for the best.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I know this sounds basic...but be sure your carpet isnt crumpled under the gas pedal.
I think the 65 shop manual gives a measurement for the full sweep of the pedal. Disconnect the carb rod and measure that. If you have it right then you can move on the the intermediate vertical link. Then to the carb rod. At idle the throttle spring should snap the linkage to the 'stop' on the bellcrank with no pressure on the carb rod (carburetor throttle shaft bushings wear out that way). An adjustable carb rod comes in use here, it should not be too long that it affects the rest of the linkage. Should just slide into the bellcrank and carb linkage holes.
Good luck!

Joe

anthony

Post by anthony »

thanks for posting the photos comethead i am working on the same linkage and was scraching my head to,the photos saved the day,thanks

anthony,65 cyclone

comethead

Post by comethead »

Glad I could help!

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Had another Mustang throttle rod, so I opted for a straighter link:

Just following up! (Im not anal Fred... :evil: )

BTW looks like Lokar has a nice throttle cable kit that gets rid of the bell crank and too many moving parts! http://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/thrott ... -main.html

Joe

mercurycyclone

Post by mercurycyclone »

I have attached a photo from the 1965 Lincoln Mercury Master Parts Catalog 1965 Comet V8 Accelerator Linkage.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I was just in the garage finishing up my linkage and remembered this thread - took a couple pictures.
To start I shortend the linkage at the firewall - took enough out so the pedal arm was directly aligned with my carb linkage. Then with my gas pedal as high off the floor as it would go indexed, cut off and re-attached the pedal arm so it wasn't touching my intake. Used this 12" univeral rod, and wallah...good to go. You probably have it figured out by now...sorry to be late to the party

67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

mercuryman

Post by mercuryman »

Very nice set-up. That`s similar to what I was thinking of doing. Is your accelerator linkage on the firewall, original for a 67 or is that from another car? My 65 has a different linkage than that. I have a 68 mustang linkage I was hoping to make work. It looks like the one you have in your pics.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

The previous owner converted from six to a 302 and column shift to floor. No idea what belongs and what dosent. I had my suspicions that this was not OE cause things didn't line up very well. Sorry cant be more help there.
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun