Throttle linkage

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Tims1965MercuryComet

Re: Throttle linkage

Post by Tims1965MercuryComet »

Tim
Last edited by Tims1965MercuryComet on Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Caliente 4 door
1968 302
Edelbrock Torker manifold and carb

wgreggking

Post by wgreggking »

Tims1965MercuryComet wrote:I have a 1965 Comet Caliente with a 1968 302. Last March I replaced the lifters and scored a 70's Edelbrock Torker intake and a Holley 4160 600 cfm carb. I bought an adjustable universal throttle linkage from Jegs.com that worked great from the carb to the bellcrank. The throttle rod from the firewall was too short at full adjustment. I could hook it up to the bellcrank, but only had about 1/4 throttle. I bought an assortment of throttle balls from the local O'Riellys in Prescott, AZ. I drilled a hole in the bellcrank about 2 inches down so that the throttle rod link would snap into place. I now have had full throttle opening. Now I need to do something for the transmission kickdown rod.
I thought Id add my linkage to this thread, even ifs its old.I used a granada pedal and cable adapted it to edelbrock,4bbl, with kickdown rod .ten yrs ago not exactly sure, but it works.ImageImageImageImage
Image 64 caliente 302 auto

MoneyPit

Post by MoneyPit »

I am glad I saw this post the other day. The part shown in the pictures below is what holds the ball at the top of my linkage on my 64 caliente. It has worn out. Any one know where I can find one or even what it is called?

comethead

Post by comethead »

I dont think that clip is reproduced. You might find a used link though.
Or you can get a new link; p/n C5ZZ-9784-A from C&G Ford Parts. NPD sells the link too, but its listed for Mustang 6 cycl.

http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/showprod ... 640&t=3640

The reproduction link has the 65 style clips to retain the pivot knob. You just have to pull out the screw-in pivot knobs that come with it.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

In the second picture in the second post, there is a rod that connects the gas pedal asssembly to the carburetor linkage. Would there be a part number, name, diagram, or source for this little piece?

we are progressing
I am afraid when I die, the wife will sell my parts for the prices I told her I paid............

comethead

Post by comethead »

cam shaft wrote:In the second picture in the second post, there is a rod that connects the gas pedal asssembly to the carburetor linkage. Would there be a part number, name, diagram, or source for this little piece?

we are progressing
I am afraid when I die, the wife will sell my parts for the prices I told her I paid............
Not sure what it's called but it is not reproduced. You'll have to find it used.
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rmertz3282

Post by rmertz3282 »

I know this an old thread but I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to connect the original comet throttle linkage to an aftermarket manifold and 4 barrel Holley. The manifold has provisions to mount the linkage but I suspect the placement is not in the original location (distance from firewall and elevation). Is it safe to assume that I need to fabricate new linkage rods? I think I know the answer to my question but wanted to solicit some thoughts.
Randy
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well if you have to fab something why not just do a cable?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about