Running brake lines, fuel line and Batt cable

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
TwoRaptors

Running brake lines, fuel line and Batt cable

Post by TwoRaptors »

65 post. installing a fuel cell, battery in the trunk and all new brake lines. trying to figure out the best route to run everything from the rear to the front. My biggest concern is routing everything at the torque box.

Starting at the rear, I was thinking of running everything on the outside of the Subframe connectors then make a hole through the right sub frame connector, into the tunnel next to the tranny then the fuel line to carb and the batt cable to the starter cyl. Then the brake line run down the left sub-F connector then into tunnel next to tranny then up to the master.

How did you run yours? will this work?

I really dont like how there is no channel in the torque boxes to route anything.

popscomet

Re: Running brake lines, fuel line and Batt cable

Post by popscomet »

I would wait until ROY reads this ,then go by his suggestion...JMO....POP
pop/glenda

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

what path does the stock fuel line take on the 65? I have pics from Johno on another post "65 Front end upgrade Brake line routing" It shows of a tubing running down the drive shaft tunnel and then under the cross member.. Is that brake line or fuel ?
I have also been battling back and forth about running the brake fuel lines and wiring from front to back
I have crites subframe connectors and welded small angle tabs high on the outside of the connectors to support the rear to front brake line ,then a stub piece of pipe welded in and out of the torque box for the line to pass through (the tubing prevents a sharp edge even though I am using the stainless spring gravel guard as additional protection .Initially I was going to have the brake and fuel lines on the inside of the sub-frame connectors for aesthetics and to offer more protection .I changed to the outside as i was wondering about dual exhaust running close to the connectors and lines
i am probably going to run the wiring harness down the same location as the brake line o nthe high outside

Now i need to run a 3/8 supply and 3/8 return line for the fuel injection I am hesitant to run the fuel lines outside of the sub frame connectors because they could easily be severed in a side impact so would like to run them on the inside.I am not sure about exhaust clearance .Especially up around the header collectors as I remember that being tight.
My car is gutted of trans and engine so don't have a real good idea of available space

anyone with the subrame connectors know if there is room to run the fuel down the inside of the connectors without them being close to the exhaust?
should i run them up in the drive shaft tunnel if that's what those lines are?
I don't really want to transition from fuel lines underneath across the frame rails where they are exposed to damage
Any thoughts? or pics or posts that may help?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:what path does the stock fuel line take on the 65? I have pics from Johno on another post "65 Front end upgrade Brake line routing" It shows of a tubing running down the drive shaft tunnel and then under the cross member.. Is that brake line or fuel ?
I'm not sure where that thread is,,,but if it was a pic similar to this one it is the factory routing for both brake & fuel lines;

after I put in SFCs I ran both lines inside of the SFCs up to where the frame rails turn up & crossed under the rail like the factory did. in one area before it crossed under the frame where the headers were near it I made a little heat shield out of aluminum.
Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

if Running them across the frame is good enough for the factory its good enough for me. It just looks liek an after thought .Thanks for the tips and the Pic ..again

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:if Running them across the frame is good enough for the factory its good enough for me. It just looks liek an after thought .Thanks for the tips and the Pic ..again
Yes they did . though it was in front of where the frame turns up;

but they did go under the crossmember with a protective wire wrapped around it;
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Inline Tube sells the protective spring cover for 3/16, 5/16 and 3/8 lines.
I got mine off eBay.
Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I welded a tube through the trans crossmember to keep the fuel lines out of harms way.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about