65 cyclone grille emblem

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

65 cyclone grille emblem

Post by Lou's Comet »

The center grill emblem with the red/white/blue strips. Was just wondering what they are made of? Seems to me they are anodized aluminun but just wanted to check.

Thanks
Lou

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 65 cyclone grille emblem

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Lou;the emblem is aluminum,VERY THIN,the housing is chromed pot-metal. The emblem is reproduced,you have to take the Mercury Man off,peel the old emblem off then stick the new emblem on and reinstall Mr.Mercury!!Or you could spend $300.00 on a NOS one on Ebay!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think Roy is talking about a caliente emblem. I have a cyclone emblem in hand, it appears to be cast aluminum,maybe anodized, with the red white & blue painted on. a magnet is not attracted to it.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

OOPS,I guess I need to pay closer attention to what I read ,John is on the ball on this one!!! ROY.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Thanks guys! Thought it was aluminum was just checking before I start sanding it.

Lou

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I reserve the right to be wrong , but it looks like aluminum. I'd say a man sanding on one would know for sure! :lol: Boss your pic is upside down ! I think. :D
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:I reserve the right to be wrong , but it looks like aluminum. I'd say a man sanding on one would know for sure! :lol: Boss your pic is upside down ! I think. :D
Reserve the same right lol.
Pretty sure it is aluminum but wanted to be sure, it seems a touch heavy for aluminum. Haven't sanded it yet.
Same emblem as picture Boss posted. Long story short bought some Comet parts this week and the guy had the emblem, I know they are kind of hard to get so I bought it too. Knew i would need one and figured why not. Yesterday I was going thru my parts boxes and found another one :oops: . Did get a pretty nice right fender, the rear cyclone wheel trim although pass side is pretty bad, a nice dash gauge bezel, a nicer hood moulding, and cyclone inside door emblems, but now thinking I may already have the inside emblems too :oops:
Been buying parts for the car for about 6 years now maybe I should make a inventory??
Met a great guy and got to spend a couple hours talking about Comets so it was all good.
Thanks guys when I sand and polish the emblem I'll post pictures.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou,, KEEP BUYING THE PARTS!!!
Take inventory when your done TRIBLK
Spares are rare
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou the weight is what has me uncertain, although it is thick, it seems a little heavy . sounds like you had a good day with the parts score! :D
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Lou;are you installing a Cyclone 'Horse Collar' to your grill too? ROY.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote:Lou,, KEEP BUYING THE PARTS!!!
Take inventory when your done TRIBLK
Spares are rare
Fred, I am still buying parts. But need to focus a little bit more on the ones I need and not so much on spares right now LOL

TRIBLK ???
poboyjo65 wrote:Lou the weight is what has me uncertain, although it is thick, it seems a little heavy . sounds like you had a good day with the parts score! :D
John, yea the emblem face is about 1/4 inch thick and I'm going with it being aluminum. Yea did ok with the parts. Got a really decent fender that will take a lot less work the any of the ones I have. And one good cyclone wheel trim. We now
need to find someone that has a rear set and split it :D
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Lou;are you installing a Cyclone 'Horse Collar' to your grill too? ROY.
Roy, yea going to use the Cyclone "horse collar" on the grill. One of my grill's is actually off a Cyclone with the ring. I thought the emblem was missing, reason I was excited to find it. But my grill did have it so now I have a extra. Which is good, I'll take the worse one and sand and polish it to see how it works out. Not sure if I am going with the black on the grille just outside the the ring like factory. Or doing the whole grill black with the ring. Got three grills so I'll do one factory and one all black and see which I like better. Right now I am thinking all black. But plans always change :)

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea sounds like a plan Lou, we'll split a whole set if we have to ,if it isnt too crazy high priced.

that TRIBLK has got me stumped too! some of the Canadian slang I guess ? :?
Johno

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Maybe "Triple Black" black paint, black interior, black vinyl top..
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I think ratical has it,Triple Black!!!!!! ROY.