65 comet, will 63 bucket seats work

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ants875

65 comet, will 63 bucket seats work

Post by ants875 »

So I got to looking at the buckets seats that I got with my car and I found a date code on the bottom of the seat (I didn't write it down) but it said 1963 will these fir my car? are they the same basic frame?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

ants875

Re: 65 comet, will 63 bucket seats work

Post by ants875 »

So I ran the code of the seat and it seems that they are 63 Falcon seats, does anyone know if they will work in a 65?

code C3DB-6363100-B
AMP 19 1963
Thanks
Ant

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used 63 falcon buckets in my 65, frames are the same but the foam needs some changes due to the different patterns of the covers. convertable frames are different with the springs running side to side where the hardtop springs run front to back. also verts are lower due to the added floor brace & the tracks are different.
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Thanks for the help
ant

thos25

Post by thos25 »

I have an interesting story about bucket seats. I was looking for a set to temporarily put in my 65 CYCLONE while I searched for the correct set. A friend said he had a set in his 63 FALCON but he thought they were 66 MUSTANG seats. I bought them cheap and they bolted right into my COMET, tracks and all. When I located and rebuilt the correct buckets I took the "MUSTANG" pair out and the aluminum tag on the bottom of both read C2S... which you all read as I did; 1962 THUNDERBIRD!!! I guess you never know what you are going to run into in this hobby. If only our cars could talk we can only imagine the stories they could tell!
TOM :shock:

ants875

Post by ants875 »

thos25 wrote:I have an interesting story about bucket seats. I was looking for a set to temporarily put in my 65 CYCLONE while I searched for the correct set. A friend said he had a set in his 63 FALCON but he thought they were 66 MUSTANG seats. I bought them cheap and they bolted right into my COMET, tracks and all. When I located and rebuilt the correct buckets I took the "MUSTANG" pair out and the aluminum tag on the bottom of both read C2S... which you all read as I did; 1962 THUNDERBIRD!!! I guess you never know what you are going to run into in this hobby. If only our cars could talk we can only imagine the stories they could tell!
TOM :shock:
Tom,

Does make you wonder, I ran the numbers and they say 63 Falcon though after sending a pic to someone he says they are 63 comet S22 seats and that they will fit though they will take some work on the foam to let the seat covers fit.

Anyone have a good place to get new Caliente covers?

Ant

Bagger

Post by Bagger »

So I’m kind of lost here. The aluminum tag on the bottom of the “Mustang” seats indicated they were from a 62 Bird but then it turns out they were really 63 S22 Comet seats?

Aside from Falcon and Fairlane buckets, I am desperately trying to find out what other buckets would be a direct fit in my 63 Comet Custom. I’ve seen some people say 67 Mustang will work but will need risers and now I’m wondering if 62 Bird will work, of course using 63 Comet foam.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I had a pair of T-Bird buckets in a '68 Mustang back in the '70s.
Doesn't answer your question but another side note about interchangeability.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Bagger wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 9:16 am
So I’m kind of lost here. The aluminum tag on the bottom of the “Mustang” seats indicated they were from a 62 Bird but then it turns out they were really 63 S22 Comet seats?

Aside from Falcon and Fairlane buckets, I am desperately trying to find out what other buckets would be a direct fit in my 63 Comet Custom. I’ve seen some people say 67 Mustang will work but will need risers and now I’m wondering if 62 Bird will work, of course using 63 Comet foam.
Fitting seats just takes some thought. Here is what I used- 1964 T Bird seat frames and foam with the original ‘64 Comet seat tracks adapted. They bolt in because of using the stock tracks, if you need them to be taller just make some spacers and mount them between the seats and the tracks not the tracks and the floor pan. I did not need any spacers. The T Bird seats a so much better than stock Comet, you sit in them not on them.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Bagger

Post by Bagger »

A/FX wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 am
Fitting seats just takes some thought. Here is what I used- 1964 T Bird seat frames and foam with the original ‘64 Comet seat tracks adapted. They bolt in because of using the stock tracks, if you need them to be taller just make some spacers and mount them between the seats and the tracks not the tracks and the floor pan. I did not need any spacers. The T Bird seats a so much better than stock Comet, you sit in them not on them.
Jim
Thank you so much for the reply! My reason for asking is because I need as close as possible to actual Comet seats for a simple yet goofy reason: I NEED the shape to match so I can buy very specific seat covers for the buckets. The Comet S-22 seat covers are awesome and so I know I’ll need the foam to be correct. Just wondering if the foam will fit to the seat frames. I’m guessing T-Bird seats are slightly bigger than the Comet?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Bagger wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:35 pm
A/FX wrote:
Jim
Thank you so much for the reply! My reason for asking is because I need as close as possible to actual Comet seats for a simple yet goofy reason: I NEED the shape to match so I can buy very specific seat covers for the buckets. The Comet S-22 seat covers are awesome and so I know I’ll need the foam to be correct. Just wondering if the foam will fit to the seat frames. I’m guessing T-Bird seats are slightly bigger than the Comet?
Actually T bird seats are slightly smaller overall. A stock Comet seat is very square, the T Bird seat has more of a slimmer shape and is much more comfortable. I doubt if your ‘63 Comet seat cover will fit a T Bird seat, my seats covers were custom made to fit the T Bird frame/cushion but look exactly like the Comet design.
Jim

Bagger

Post by Bagger »

A/FX wrote:
[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/BZBWPxPw/AB77-C6-
Actually T bird seats are slightly smaller overall. A stock Comet seat is very square, the T Bird seat has more of a slimmer shape and is much more comfortable. I doubt if your ‘63 Comet seat cover will fit a T Bird seat, my seats covers were custom made to fit the T Bird frame/cushion but look exactly like the Comet design.
Jim
Thank you again! The thought of the T-Bird bucket is very appealing. May I ask where you got your seat covers done? The main reason for trying to stay stock is because of the very specific design.

I’m thinking 62 Bird is probably a really good match to the 63 Comet.
Attachments
CA4D0037-6BEC-4A72-9AAC-CE5EDCD2B6FC.jpeg
CA4D0037-6BEC-4A72-9AAC-CE5EDCD2B6FC.jpeg (180.36 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thank you again! The thought of the T-Bird bucket is very appealing. May I ask where you got your seat covers done? The main reason for trying to stay stock is because of the very specific design.

I’m thinking 62 Bird is probably a really good match to the 63 Comet.
[/quote]

I have a local guy who works out of his home garage, he has done all the interiors and tops on the cars I have built/restored. I have not used any pre made seat covers so I cannot offer my experience with them. I purchased yardage of material then took a percentage of it and had it perforated, the seat inserts and headliner are perforated vinyl, the dash pad and steering wheel are leather.
Jim
Imagehow to do a screen shot

Bagger

Post by Bagger »

A/FX wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm
I have a local guy who works out of his home garage, he has done all the interiors and tops on the cars I have built/restored. I have not used any pre made seat covers so I cannot offer my experience with them. I purchased yardage of material then took a percentage of it and had it perforated, the seat inserts and headliner are perforated vinyl, the dash pad and steering wheel are leather.
Jim
Absolutely beautiful and fantastic work!

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Bagger wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:40 pm
A/FX wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:03 pm
Jim
Absolutely beautiful and fantastic work!
Thank You! I appreciate the compliment.