Joe's '65 Caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ants875

Re: Joe's '65 Caliente

Post by ants875 »

poboyjo65 wrote:this is one you can check it or clean it out without pulling the hose off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tefba-Inline-Co ... e2&vxp=mtr

I keep hoping someone will try it out but if not I will when I get er goin' :D !
Great idea but I don't like how it would look under the hood, also it looks like its plastic which makes me wonder how long it will last??

Ant

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

It probably is made of plastic but should be a type to handle the high temp of coolant and underhood temps. I have used the Gano filter and by comparison the TEFBA should be simpler to clean without having to disonnect the hose connection as with the Gano screen to get it out to clean. Can't look any worse than some of the modern day cars. It is a simple design but more serviceable. A good trade-off I think. I would use it.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

I like the way the inline filter kind of disappears:

Except for the extra clamps of course. I usually find some reason to drain the cooling system :roll: and when I do I check the filter.
I have maintenance records back to '71, looks like the engine had a valve job in '77 and that's it. So it hasn't been rebuilt. Maybe that explains the big chunks.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Old engines=big rust issues!!! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

I'm looking into both systems and haven't decided yet except both applications stand out! I think some black hose clamps would help.
NPDave

comethead

Post by comethead »

Adventures in hood weathering:
We knocked the shine off with 000 steel wool. Then worked a few edges with a scuff pad. Then worked through to the primer on the flat areas with 1500 grit paper. Then evened it all out with the steel wool again. Still need to fine tune it but it's getting there. Now to leave it outside for 50 years! :lol:

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;looks closer to the rest of the Comet,never noticed how much paint has disappeared,still looks a little too red!!! ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

I agree Roy. It's not a perfect match.
I gave the paint shop the correct Ford paint code. We were wondering if the paint mix was right, or maybe the original paint is just burned. Seems to match the door jambs and inner trunk ok.
Either way, it's a better match than the orange steel hood. It'll have to work til the entire car gets done. One day.

Joe

66sevets

Post by 66sevets »

Not a perfect match but fits in nicely with the car.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;I never thought about the ageing of the original paint,you may be correct!! It still looks better than before and better than the primered hood,get the hood lip trim on there!!!! ROY.

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Joe;I never thought about the ageing of the original paint,you may be correct!! It still looks better than before and better than the primered hood,get the hood lip trim on there!!!! ROY.
Ok here you go!

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;MUCH better,takes some 'edge' off of the paint!!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks damn good Joe! & looks right at home ,,,, for some reason your doors look a slightly different shade off which added with the ''just a shade off hood & quarter ,,,,all of the slightly offs go quite well together! if you know what I'm trying to say. :? :? :D :D :) :lol: How about an angled pic more from the side,,where we can see the door & the grill??
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Slightly off,sounds like Fred[SASSY]!! I just noticed,there is no 'peak' down the center of the hood!! ROY.

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

ants875 wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:this is one you can check it or clean it out without pulling the hose off

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tefba-Inline-Co ... e2&vxp=mtr

I keep hoping someone will try it out but if not I will when I get er goin' :D !
Great idea but I don't like how it would look under the hood, also it looks like its plastic which makes me wonder how long it will last??

Ant
I have the TEFBA filters on all our cars, they don`t look the best in the engine bay but they work great & radiators are too expensive these days to not look after, the engine in my daily driver has been in for about 10 yrs & still has junk caught in the filter every time I check it. The Comet has a new radiator & new aftermarket heads & block & still has junk getting caught in the filter too. they are easy to check each time before we go for a cruise, when you take the lid off no coolant comes out when you check them, except on the flatheads. on the flatheads on a long trip you can tell when they need cleaning out when the temp starts rising so when we stop for fuel we just clean them out before we hit the road again. John

Comets looking great Joe
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero