header wrap

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
hot65rod

header wrap

Post by hot65rod »

OK so I purchased a set of Doug's headers, painted them with 2000 degree rust proof paint and let it dry for 3 days, wrapped the headers with DEI wrap ( butt ugly stuff, looks horrid to say the least). Am I going about this the right way ? Any pros , con's on this. HELP

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: header wrap

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I have no experiance with the wrap but have heard from many sources that it holds moisture and will cause rust! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

MY Hedmans specifically said to not use wrap as is will greatly shorten the life of the headers!!! and void the warranty I believe
ImageImage

hot65rod

Post by hot65rod »

Thanks for your help. Gotta be the ugliest I've seen. Taking it off and buying a starter wrap instead glad I didn't put the sealant on yet

cobralee1

Post by cobralee1 »

I bought a car with header wrap already since the headers were too close to the starter and affected the performance of the starter...and was pretty ugly........so after I got my headers ceramic coated, I didn't use the wrap and got a heat shield that goes on one side of the starter which reflects the heat away....much better.

hot65rod

Post by hot65rod »

Took header wrap off. Started putting Doug's headers on yesterday. Wow 7hrs later one side on and its so tight to the frame rail that the motor would not slide back into its mount. So much for the idea of from box to block. Gonna finish that side today or at least try. Getting very discouraged but can't send them back way to late and I had to use my bfh a lot .

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

I must have been lucky with my Dougs Tri-Ys,they went on on both sides not even touching anything,frame,body or engine,did not even have to loosen the engine mounts!!!The car is my 65 Comet wagon,302 four speed,stock clutch linkage!! ROY.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

you might check and see if they sent you the right headers, I got mine from summit and spent a few hours putting them in had to pull the trans and bellhousing and then they hit everything including the pitman arm only to realize that they sent me headers for a mustang and they WILL NOT FIT!!!! summit sent me the right ones for a comet and they went right in the car, they are close in a couple spots but do not hit anywhere.

Ant

hot65rod

Post by hot65rod »

To late a few dents here and there but I'm going to make them work. Would of helped if I would of shaved the shock tower. Going to add a little heat to the one on the drivers side and bend away from frame rail. Moving forward slowly but at least moving lol

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

WOW,sorry to hear you are having so much trouble,I know every chassis is a bit different,but no heat or hammers were necessary in my installation,BUMMER!!!! ROY.

hot65rod

Post by hot65rod »

Oh well live and learn. Won't do this again. I'll pay someone else. Do I regret this no I love a challenge . car sounds real good tho.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Tri-Ys are a great street addition,should work out for you!!! Figure ol Shelby got over 300 HP back in 1965 using Tri-Ys on a 289!!! ROY.

hot65rod

Post by hot65rod »

I never realized how much room there wasn't under the hood till this experience. That will change in the future. My next step is to connect the frame rails really looking forward to that. Couldn't put my new springs in the front because previous owner welded in the perch mounts on both sides so next year new upper a-frames. I'm slowly getting the car ready for more HP about 8,000 new motor and trany . I have high hopes for my old girl. Will I ever finish this no there will always be room for more improvement some where. Gonna post more stuff for sale soon got to clean out the garage I'm running out of room to put things lol

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Hey Hot
Dont plan on finishing it, get it runnin and keep improving!
That has been my plan for 40 years, just didn't know it :lol:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about