My Comechero

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
SASSY

Re: My Comechero

Post by SASSY »

Sounds interesting! I would assume that it offers one level of assist. Which for our cars is probably fine because it doesnt take much turn on the brunno box to make a big difference.
Looks to like you were having a great time at the show!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

SASSY wrote:Sounds interesting! I would assume that it offers one level of assist. Which for our cars is probably fine because it doesnt take much turn on the brunno box to make a big difference.
Looks to like you were having a great time at the show!
Fred
The guy who installed the Prius unit never said but I assume it had one level of assist. And yes i seldom ever touch the setting on mine just stays in the lower 1/3rd of range. I think you can hook up a vss signal that should give it assist level based on ground speed. I may get over across the bay one day soon and find out who the guy was and maybe i can contact him and learn more.

It was a nice show lots of beautiful cars just not many falcons. I saw a 65 comet down the way from us but never got down there to look at it more.

Ron

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Just returned from a nice carshow at the Falcon Regional show In Sacramento. We had about 75 very nice cars. Weather was great, food was good. Comechero ran like a champ all the way there and back. 18.6 mpg round trip running 70+ mph with ac on all the way and two people aboard. Some traffic but not too bad. Was the longest run Comechero has been on. Couldn't be more pleased how it ran and drove for the whole trip. My grandson occupied the pass seat and my son followed in the Saturn.
Lots of nice cars, food was great, nice group of people. Was unindated with questions and curious people. Many with cameras. Half the onlookers took a pic of my COMECHERO emblem on the side. That happens everywhere I go. Quite a few were very interested in the Electric Steering. The response is always great.
We had I think 5 or 6 very nice Comets as well.
Will be returning to the same general area next July for the Falcon Nationals. Should be an even larger turnout as people come from all over the country.

Figured out the link:
https://www.facebook.com/goldengatefalconclub#

Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL RON,,YOU AND THE COMECHRO are deserveing of the praise.....you did a good job !!.....POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:WELL RON,,YOU AND THE COMECHRO are deserveing of the praise.....you did a good job !!.....POP
Thanks Pops.
Comechero drew a lot of questions and interest but that's as far as it goes. Those who do the voting just don't recognize a good thing when they see it. Someday they'll figure out it's not a run of the mill Falcon. Too many there that are nice but are still just stock vehicles redone as they were built on the assembly line. Nothing special about that, right? Oh well I still enjoy the involvement and more than anything It's great to just drive it and feel it running so good. And sharing the experience with my son and grandson makes it a better time. Will continue attending the shows anyway.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WHEN you go to a brand only show,,you can't exspect to win the votes,,,,,you will have and there are some who if they were honest,had rather see your PU as a full blown falcon,not the way you built it...POP has had many tell me I messed up my comet with the tear drop hood ,the 2-4's and when some find out it was a AT,pwr brks pwr dteering with AC,,,they frown big time....I let that crap go in 1 ear and out the other...fast !!,,,,so just drive the half breed and be proud and thankful you have been blessed with owning it.....pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

popscomet wrote:WHEN you go to a brand only show,,you can't exspect to win the votes,,,,,you will have and there are some who if they were honest,had rather see your PU as a full blown falcon,not the way you built it...POP has had many tell me I messed up my comet with the tear drop hood ,the 2-4's and when some find out it was a AT,pwr brks pwr dteering with AC,,,they frown big time....I let that crap go in 1 ear and out the other...fast !!,,,,so just drive the half breed and be proud and thankful you have been blessed with owning it.....pop
Well I tried that last year entering it as a ranchero with no results. This time I entered it as a modified. Sad part is there were a couple others that were stock except for a v8 replacing the 6 and so they entered as a modified. Mine features many modifications not just one and it still doesn't matter. I guess it would do better in a non brand show. I got a trophy last year but it was a non brand show so apparently the chances are better there of getting votes. Even though they show interest in something different, apparently those that vote are biased. I also wonder if there isn''t some favoritism with the members who prefer to vote for their own members.

I guess i'll just continue to show mine and enjoy driving it and know what it is and all that went into creating it. That's something I am so proud of and know it's one of a kind. The recognition it attracts as I drive it around is nice but doesn't garner any votes just a lot of nice compliments and thumbs up. Only I and a limited circle of people appreciate what it is and what went into creating it.

Comechero traveled the farthest distance ever on this trip over 300 miles, got 18.6 mpg running 70+ with the ac on and two people aboard. Made the trip on one tank of gas and ran perfectly the whole way. I think the grandson enjoyed the ride. The electric steering worked perfectly and it drove with nothing weird in how it rode and handled. Couldn't be more pleased.

Will be back in Sac next July for the Nationals but won't get my expectations up, will just enjoy the time and friendship and the trip up and back.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Trophy or not it is a nice car/truck sometimes might fit more as a Comet than a Falcon with the things you have done to it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

"If ya want a trophy buy an orange Camero"
Lol
A good friend has a beautiful original 69 rs ss and he losses to an orange one every time, lol

Ron, I have seen your car, without a doubt the skill and execution that went into it is amazing!
Understated can have its challenges, big wheels, chrome and in your face hp is the answer! Lol
Falcon clubs, like Corvette clubs, like Mustang clubs, hell like Comet clubs can be narrow minded
We all have some sort of prejudice, me, put a sbc in anything u want 'cept the Fords!!!!!
Enjoy that beautiful ride everyday you can, and keep showing it the rewards will come.
Last year I went to see my gearhead brothers in Lethbridge and we entered 4 cars side by side.
It was really to show off my brothers just completed Henry J street rod.
I ended up with a top 5 Ford trophy, couldnt believe it! The guy beside me had a stunning Model A 2dr
street rod, nothing, ya never know when the trophy gods will shine on you!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

StPro

Post by StPro »

I went to the National Falcon Show in Wisconsin Dells this summer. There was a lot of nice cars there and a lot of nice people there. The opinion I got when I was there is that if it isn’t a Falcon it doesn’t count. If it isn’t stock it counts less. If it is a ford product it’s ok. JMO.
There are groups of car owners that think there poop doesn’t stink, Corvette owners, Hemi owners, Shelby owners, and the Falcon owners were real close that day.
I like stock cars. Stock vehicles give us something to compare modified vehicles with so we can say that helped that didn’t. Every car owner should personalize their car even if it is just fuzzy dice on the mirror.
Someday I will share my story about looking for parts at a Shelby meet.
Good luck with the car shows. You get my vote.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

It is too bad their are SO MANY PURISTS,to me there are more than enough restored cars,it is nice to see a WELL done modified car!!It is fun to stand by my COMET at a show and listen to purists whine about it being modified!! As for trophies,Dale Snoke and his "The ROCKET" 64 got first place,I got second place at last weekends MERCURY Show!!Unfortunately there were only FOUR COMETS,1-64,2-65s and 1-66!! I agree with FRED though,if you go looking for a trophy you need an OUTRAGEOUS car and combo!!An EX-Drag Car,69 Cougar Eliminator that was built into a Drag Car,beat out TWO other RESTORED 69 Eliminators for a win in class!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

There are so many nice cars at the shows, all restored and nice paint and clean and all mostly stock. Other than many different colors, how do you choose one that looks just like the next? A black roundbody entered in the modified class took second place, looked good but the only non original feature was a v8 replaced the the 6. I can't count on all my fingers the mod's on mine as a comparison and in the same modified class. I think you are right about the purist. If it isn't stock it isn't s--t! Or if you are not part of the "in" crowd you don't get their vote. People aren't always rational or fair but I knew that.
Ron

StPro

Post by StPro »

Well I guess now I will have to tell my Shelby story.Don't laugh too hard
Many years ago I was building a 65 Mustang (the car was a POS no floors) I decided to chop, channel and section the car. I took 3”out of the roof 4”out of the body. The body was narrowed to meet the chop in the roof. Then 2”were added to each side through fenders, doors and rear quarters to widen the car. The thoughts were to build a street can am car. One nice sunny Sunday I agreed to meet a couple friends at the Shelby club Swap meet. As we were wandering around I ran into a friend in the Shelby club and I inquired about wanting to see an R model Plexiglas rear window. He asked what I was building. So as I was explaining what I had done to the car someone from behind me opens his loud mouth and says in a voice loud enough for anyone within 100 ft would hear. YOU CUT UP AN R MODEL SHELBY!! YOU BUTCHERED A SHELBY!! Then he repeats himself, YOU BUTCHERED A SHELBY!! I had no choice but to reply WHAT IS A SHELBY BUT A BUTCHERED MUSTANG! The whole swap meet went dead quiet. It seemed like 5 min. Then my buddy says you sure know how to shut up a crowed. We all laughed at his wrong assumption and eavesdropping.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

albert

Post by albert »

I like originals and modified and resto mod, doesn't matter. What I don't like are people criticizing anybody's car. We all must realize that we are individuals that can see things differently. If the owner likes his car in pink with polka dots I am OK with that. I do however like busting the chops of the "stock original" group when I look for anything that has been replaced and suddenly find a repo part Made in China, examples could be gas tanks, front end parts, master cylinders etc. Hey guys it's only a hobby and a really great one, made up of a lot of different kinds of folks and cars.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

around here if it ain't got a bow tie on it ,,your pootin in the wind......we car showed for yrs,we won a lot,,but I got into a bunch of flak over someone's mouth running a ford down.........nuff said.....we don't car show anymore.... and you can put 50 cents with a trophy and buy you a cup of coffee,they just collect dust..we have them everywhere and in the shop .......been there ...done that////pop
pop/glenda