65 Caliente Passengers Side Mirror

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

65 Caliente Passengers Side Mirror

Post by kevinshi »

As I understand it (I'm new to this and still in early learning period... ;-) my 1965 Caliente had an option for a passengers side outdoor mirror. I am now seeking such a mirror to match my original drivers side outdoor mirror. See picture via this link to see the style of my driver side mirror I am trying to match: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... oto%2c.jpg

If you have any advice/suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
kevin
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

Comechero65

Re: 65 Caliente Passengers Side Mirror

Post by Comechero65 »

I have the same remote mirror on Comechero (65 Ranchero). Typical for the 65/66 years. There were a couple slightly different versions used on Mercurys and T-birds. Supposedly there was a pass version of the mirror but have never seen or found one.
Here is the closest I could find that looks kind of similar and is a fixed not remote type. What I ended up using.
http://dennis-carpenter.com/mirror/p/C5AZ-17696-F/
If you find a pass side one to match please share with the rest of us.
Ron

comethead

Post by comethead »

This one looks pretty close but I haven't made a side by side comparison. It's advertised as 64-65 Comet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111375502033

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

That it!

Thanks Joe!
Thanks,
kevin

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

comethead

Post by comethead »

Comechero65 wrote:Found another one $10 cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-65-Lincoln ... 2c84e23268
Ron
Same seller! Wtf? Does he think Comet owners have more money??!! :lol:

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Hey Guys,

I found these at C&G Ford Parts, courtesy of a another Comet fan on Facebook:

http://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgcat.ph ... Search+%23

What do you think?
Cheers,

Ken in SSF CA
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The problem with those are that they do not fit the 64-65 Comet door curve,it sets them at the wrong angle!A friend bought them for his 65,we could not make them work!! He ended up selling the pair to a guy with a 67 Fairlane!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Here is the best deal I found for the matching right side mirror. Non-remote, flat glass not convex.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund ... -1963.html

Couldn't pass it up at the price so went ahead and ordered it. Comechero will now have matching mirrors. I have all the parts but one so if it's made to be a remote I could turn it into a pass side remote as well. Just need the large bezel nut that mounts the control to the door. Macs may have the right one for it as well. Only problem is my arms aren't long enough to reach the control. Need longer cables for a dash control.
Anybody have an old mustang II with a pass side remote mirror? That would have the cable I need. I may have even installed it at the ford plant.
Ron

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Well had I been a bit patient it would have cost me less... and man its annoying to now see Mac's has it - I searched their site a TON. Geesh.

Anyway I ordered from the first ebay link and got it installed. It is a perfect match. The placement is awkward - can't see the entire mirror due to the pillar but it gest the job done. Thanks again.
Thanks,
kevin

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

kevinshi wrote:Well had I been a bit patient it would have cost me less... and man its annoying to now see Mac's has it - I searched their site a TON. Geesh.

Anyway I ordered from the first ebay link and got it installed. It is a perfect match. The placement is awkward - can't see the entire mirror due to the pillar but it gest the job done. Thanks again.
Sorry to hear it cost you the higher price. I tried to get the info I found posted as quickly as possible to help others get the better price.
I should receive mine tomorrow. The mirror I have on the pass side now is like what you describe how yours fits. I don't get to see the whole mirror as I had to compromise the location so I could still open the vent window enough to be of use. When I get this mirror it will mount to the same screw holes but it will be about an inch further back which will let me see more of the mirror and the vent window will open even less. I guess I'll just have to live with it that way.
I'm counting on it being a perfect match to the drivers side. Wish I had found this one before I bought the one I have on there now. Anybody want a nice mirror, hardly used, hasn't been on there very long.
Ron

Tambo

Post by Tambo »

kevinshi wrote:Well had I been a bit patient it would have cost me less... and man its annoying to now see Mac's has it - I searched their site a TON. Geesh.

That happens a lot Kev if you mount the passenger mirror same as driver. Due to the fact we have to drive our left hand drive classics on the left side of the road here in Australia, we need the right hand mirror more than you guys. I've done a few different cars (makes) here in OZ and prior to mounting I get someone to hold the passenger mirror in position while I sit in the driver seat.
Quite often, the passenger one has to be mounted a bit further back to get the full mirror in vision. Thing is ... because you can only see one mirror at a time, only the most critical observers notice it when I have my cars at shows. Another thing too ... I always mount flat glass - not convex, as it's more critical with judging distance of oncoming traffic.
66 Cyclone GT: 390, 4 sp Top Loader, 3.25 9inch

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Well I got my mirror but they screwed up and sent me the convex mirror not the flat one. Right part number but they didn't check what was in the box. What did you order and did you get the right one?
Now I have to send it back, wait till they get it then they will send me the replacement. I asked for them to just send me the mirror part instead of the whole thing but she said they can't do that. Would be simpler from the way I see it. More waiting. :(
Ron

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/111375502033. It is also convex which I prefer (as much as this is about aesthetics for me I do want the functionality...).

So when I said "perfect match" I lied a bit. First it is not (of course) remote controlled. Second it is convex and not flat. Third the screws are a *little* different. Beside those three things (and the fact that it is right hand) it matches the drivers side beautifully.
Thanks,
kevin

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

kevinshi wrote:I ordered http://www.ebay.com/itm/111375502033. It is also convex which I prefer (as much as this is about aesthetics for me I do want the functionality...).

So when I said "perfect match" I lied a bit. First it is not (of course) remote controlled. Second it is convex and not flat. Third the screws are a *little* different. Beside those three things (and the fact that it is right hand) it matches the drivers side beautifully.
I prefer the flat mirror to the convex. May not have as large a field of view but at least you can judge distance. They sent me the wrong one so I have to send it back.

I did try mounting it to see what it will look like. Fits perfectly in the existing fasteners though it moves the mirror about an inch further back which lets me see more of the mirror. But the vent window will open a little less because of it's position. A compromise on function.

As far as mounting screws go I order the crimp in fasteners which come with two chromed screws. I don't like just inserting sheetmetal screws into the body as they corrode and eventually get loose and then strip out.
I get the kits from NPD which work so much better.
https://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flip ... -73/#p=268
They also have a kit to install the fasteners if you don't have the tools to crimp the fasteners in place. NPD #17696-4BK $2.10

As far as appearance goes it is a perfect match to the drivers side remote. Took a look inside the right side mirror. I could alter it to make it a remote since I have most of the parts. would take some cutting and grinding and could be done but I think I will just leave it a non-remote type.

Ron