65 Caliente Passengers Side Mirror

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

Re: 65 Caliente Passengers Side Mirror

Post by kevinshi »

"As far as mounting screws go I order the crimp in fasteners which come with two chromed screws." What is the part number on that?

My driver's side uses screws as well however there is (obviously) a factory installed perma-nut (I just made up that word) for it to screw into. I *did* do a simple sheet metal screw into the body and indeed it felt weird doing that...

Meanwhile my drivers side mirror is lose a bit - I think one of the perma-nuts has been stripped.

If you do work out that remote please post for me... I may try to follow your lead... its a silly thing to add but its kinda fun. ;-)
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

kevinshi wrote:"As far as mounting screws go I order the crimp in fasteners which come with two chromed screws." What is the part number on that?

My driver's side uses screws as well however there is (obviously) a factory installed perma-nut (I just made up that word) for it to screw into. I *did* do a simple sheet metal screw into the body and indeed it felt weird doing that...

Meanwhile my drivers side mirror is lose a bit - I think one of the perma-nuts has been stripped.

If you do work out that remote please post for me... I may try to follow your lead... its a silly thing to add but its kinda fun. ;-)
I order the fastener kit which is two fasteners and chrome stainless screws.
NPD #17696-4AK $3.00

Yes it could be modified to be a remote but it would take some internal trimming. I'll probably just leave it as is when I get the right one.
Ron

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

I don't totally get how that kit works but I suppose I'll figure it out. I see the PDF on the part with instructions but that isn't totally clear to me... I guess I need the parts in my hand.

How many of the installation kits to I need to install two mirrors? I guess I need two kits, eh? one for each side?
Thanks,
kevin

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

kevinshi wrote:I don't totally get how that kit works but I suppose I'll figure it out. I see the PDF on the part with instructions but that isn't totally clear to me... I guess I need the parts in my hand.

How many of the installation kits to I need to install two mirrors? I guess I need two kits, eh? one for each side?
The fasteners are like a pop rivet with threads. I used to have a die for them many years ago but don't know what happened to it. NPD seels a kit to crimp those in place. In leu of that just use a long scrw and a nut to expand it into place.
You need one kit per mirror.
Ron

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

I just put what was available over the counter at Mercury a matching set of Round Rotunda mirrors they even had the patterns in for correct placement on door everybody comments on how nice they look vs the factory mirror plus the round mirrors even out the look of the car and get rid of some on the boxy look.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

kevinshi, Update on the mirror. Got my mirror from Macs. Was a convex mirror so sent it back after a long ordeal to get a pickup ticket. they sent me another one and it also is the convex. What an ordeal. Turns out they sell the mirror for the right side with two different part numnbers but they are both convex. Beginning to think there isn't one with the flat mirror. Talked to the tech there and had him pull both mirrors and verified they are the same.
Not what I wanted but I went ahead and mounted it. It might be alright will just have to use it and live with it for awhile. I guess I didn't have a choice and probably you either. At least the outer housing now matches the drivers side.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Comechero65 wrote:Comechero will now have matching mirrors. I have all the parts but one so if it's made to be a remote I could turn it into a pass side remote as well. Just need the large bezel nut that mounts the control to the door.
Ron....did you ever find a source for the large bezel nut? I have a left-hand remote mirror, but I'm missing the bezel nut.

Jim

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Never found the larger bezel nut that would diffinitely fit. I needs the larger threaded nut. Here is a bezel nut made in two parts that may fit.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund ... 64-66.html
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_thund ... 64-66.html
Here's another that may be larger and may fit. Might have to try ordering one and try it. Haven't commited to doing that yet.
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... comet.html

Mac's does sell a control that may fit the one nut they list for the falcon mirror.
This:
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... comet.html

Or this:
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_falco ... alcon.html

Both look the same but have no idea what nut they need. But one of these could substitute for the original control.

Talking to Mac's 'if' you can may not help as I don't think they know much about the parts and what fits what.

It's a sort of order and take your chances.

I ended up just installing the last mirror I got from them, it is still convex not the flat I wanted but I have sort of gotten used to using it. At least it matches the drivers side.
Ron

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Take the convex mirror to a real auto glass shop. A real glass man can cut and install flat 1/8" mirror for it. Fairly cheap.

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Tambo wrote:
Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:31 am
...due to the fact we have to drive our left hand drive classics on the left side of the road here in Australia, we need the right hand mirror more than you guys...
Tambo, do you know whether there was an AU version of the square mirror on the right with remote? E.g. same as the USA left square with remote but on the right (OZ driver's side)?
Thanks,
kevin

Tambo

Post by Tambo »

I haven't been on here for some months, hence the very late reply.
I'm not aware of and RH mirrors that you're asking about.
66 Cyclone GT: 390, 4 sp Top Loader, 3.25 9inch

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

No worries, thanks for the reply!
Thanks,
kevin