Page 1 of 9

My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 pm
by Red Lehr
Well, my Comet arrived today and I'm pumped to get started !! She's not a raving beauty,but it sure looks solid underneath. I also bought 2 doors and a trunk deck lid to go with it from the seller.It was worth the trip to Wisc. to get it,and there is no engine or tranny. I plan on putting a 390 stroker in it and a toploader also.This will be a street machine with a few trips to the track(maybe Lol).
I'm going to need lots of help fellas ,I just hope you don't get tired of all my questions !! I've got thick skin,so don't be afraid to tell me how it is !!


Thanks in advance for all the help !!
Red

Here are some pics after we got her home today 8/19/14

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 2e3abd.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 00309f.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 5a0e25.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 96b148.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 475ece.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 45074e.jpg

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm
by ec164
Careful with that grill not many to go around. Looks like you have most of the trim, keep track not making any of it new. You got work to do but you'll be happy when it's done and your cruising. The FE stroker will be nice addition, although with all the sm.blk stuff available a nice 347 or 363 windsor would be killer too!......Good Luck Mr. Red,............Al

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm
by poboyjo65
Not too shabby neighbor! It'll fix! :D :D


If you click on the IMG code it will put the pic on instead of the link.
Image

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm
by fairlaniac
Red Lehr wrote:Well, my Comet arrived today and I'm pumped to get started !! She's not a raving beauty,but it sure looks solid underneath. I also bought 2 doors and a trunk deck lid to go with it from the seller.It was worth the trip to Wisc. to get it,and there is no engine or tranny. I plan on putting a 390 stroker in it and a toploader also.This will be a street machine with a few trips to the track(maybe Lol).
I'm going to need lots of help fellas ,I just hope you don't get tired of all my questions !! I've got thick skin,so don't be afraid to tell me how it is !!


Thanks in advance for all the help !!
Red

Here are some pics after we got her home today 8/19/14

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 2e3abd.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 00309f.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 5a0e25.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 96b148.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 475ece.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p63 ... 45074e.jpg
Looking good Red! I can see it in a few years at the FE Race & Reunion. (2) '64 Comets battling it out for Pro FE. It should be a nice brat hauler!

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm
by Rocket989
Looks like a fine start! Always nice to see another Comet headed in the right direction!

JH

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 pm
by comethead
Nice!
Bucket seats/console...that's a $1000 bonus right there! :wink:

Joe

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 am
by popscomet
WELL,the postive battary cable looks good from down here,so all is not lost !! you have some work in front of you thats for sure,,,but I think you can handle it,,,good luck and welcome to the best place to be when it comes to a comet.....POP

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am
by Rocket989
AND the headlights are oriented the right way! Saves time not needing a BFH to lay 'em flat!!!

JH

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm
by barrys65cyclone
I have all the tough to find parts to make it into a Cyclone plus all parts to change to 4sp.

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm
by Red Lehr
barrys65cyclone wrote:I have all the tough to find parts to make it into a Cyclone plus all parts to change to 4sp.
I might be interested in the 4 speed change parts for sure. I put a post on the "Body" section in the forum with pics from under the car. It's not quite as good as the seller described as far as being solid underneath, unless I'm jumping to conclusions. I'm looking for opinions on the body before I start anything else..... :wink:
Thanks for the heads up on the 4 speed stuff !!
Red

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm
by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE
RED;looks like A LOT of work before it is even ready for drivetrain work!!!! ROY.

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm
by Red Lehr
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:RED;looks like A LOT of work before it is even ready for drivetrain work!!!! ROY.
I know Roy..bums me out .I'm going to have a friend of mine who has been doing metal work restoring cars for many,many years take a good look at this and if it can be done ,he said he would lend a helping hand or two or three LOL.
Red

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:43 pm
by Red Lehr
Had some time to start the tear down on my 64 Comet. This is what I found when the seats,carpet,etc. came out......Any thoughts ??? LOL It's going to be a long road to say the least, and if it's possible I want to save her...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:20 pm
by comethead
It's not too bad.
Autokrafters has the repair panels you need. Work in sections so you don't get overwhelmed. Only cut out the damaged metal and leave the healthy steel. You can trim it when you fit the repair patches.
Good luck!

Joe

Re: My first 1964 Caliente/Comet project

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 pm
by Groover
Like Joe says. Everything I see in those photos is available, and therefore reasonably doable. At least the tunnel looks good ;)