1965 Door Hinge Bushings...

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
kevinshi

1965 Door Hinge Bushings...

Post by kevinshi »

On my 1965 Caliente convertible I am in the process of replacing the door hinge pins, springs and bushings.

I pulled out the pin and bushings from one of the hinges (drivers side lower). I now observe some slight differences in the replacement kit parts vs what I have removed from the car. (I ordered from Melvin's however a call to Mac's indicates that their kit is exactly the same as the one Melvin's sent me - I have not checked elsewhere).

I can't find my dang calipers just now however it appears that:
_1) the replacement pin is identical in diameter to the one I have removed (the new pin is a bit longer but that seems immaterial).
_2) the replacement bushing differs in two respects:
___a) the new bushing is 1/4" long whereas the old bushing is 3/8" long. See this picture: http://1drv.ms/1ve4ao8
___b) the new bushing appears to have a slightly larger inside diameter than the old bushing. E.g. I can pretty easily pass either pin through the new bushing whereas both pins immediately bind when attempting to pass them through the old bushing.

Questions:
Bushing Length: I realize I can probably use the 1/4" bushing however I use this car a LOT so I prefer to have the repair be as robust as possible. Thus I prefer to use a 3/8" bushing as I figure more "meat" will hold up to more door swings over time. Does anyone know where I can get such a part?

Bushing Inside Diameter: I *think* the difference I am noticing is a function of the old bushing having been hammered into the hinge hole (thereby slightly reducing its diameter) whereas the new bushing has not yet been so abused... I'm thinking the slight difference here isn't material... under the theory that once I smash that sucker into the hinge hole it will be just as tight as the old bushing. Any contrary opinions or insight?

Thanks in advance!
kevin
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

vicegrip

Re: 1965 Door Hinge Bushings...

Post by vicegrip »

I believe those bushing and pin kits are repackaged parts originally marketed by Dorman as I found the same kit at Oreillys in the Help section.The bushings are indeed slightly larger ID,a one size fits all deal...better than nothing if your orig bushings are toast.Mine were wallowed out past the bushing material and I had to weld up the hinge holes and redrill,ream to perfect size.I suspect they are a little looser than new but work OK,been in there for years.

ec164

Post by ec164 »

65 Mustang is same I believe posssibly get a kit from NPD.....Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

1965 Mustang via NPD: http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/store ... 158-1.html

Those appear to be the same ~1/4" length that came in my rebuild kit. I.e. still shorter than what has come out of the car.

;-(
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

has anyone found door bushings that fit well ,I used the Shafers Classic Reproduction one's and i am not happy.The first set they sent had the "too short " bushings but they did send replacements,These new ones are way too sloppy. I rebuilt them years ago and the car is still not together ,Its just another one of those items that bugs me. I figured by the time i found some sintered bronze and bought reamer and turned them up on my less than great latheI would be way ahead to buy them .Not Echlers says the offers original equipment spec bushings but they are out of stock .
PS .What the latest method to upload pics and videos and i will upload a video of the Shafers Calssi reubuilt results

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:09 pm
has anyone found door bushings that fit well ,I used the Shafers Classic Reproduction one's and i am not happy.The first set they sent had the "too short " bushings but they did send replacements,These new ones are way too sloppy. I rebuilt them years ago and the car is still not together ,Its just another one of those items that bugs me. I figured by the time i found some sintered bronze and bought reamer and turned them up on my less than great latheI would be way ahead to buy them .Not Echlers says the offers original equipment spec bushings but they are out of stock .
PS .What the latest method to upload pics and videos and i will upload a video of the Shafers Calssi reubuilt results
If I remember correctly I did not purchase a rebuilt kit. I normally buy all my bearings, seal, bushings, etc. from a local industrial bearing supplier. Just bring a sample and they should be able to match it. Sometimes I have to modify a bushing to fit my application, but usually I am able to find a suitable replacement. (I use Oilite Bronze because it is self lubricating)
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:09 pm
Several guys are using postimage to host pics now.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about