Build thread: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
65clevorcyclone

Re: Build thread: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:Nice work! really nice build ,thanks for sharing! :D Is your under engine bar/rack mount removable or is welded in? I just happened to see it in the pic.
It's bolted in. Uses all the original steering box and idler arm holes. They only had 2 holes drilled in the pass side (on the rack cross member) but I added a third hole uses an existing hole through the pass frame rail.

65clevorcyclone

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I feel you will like that front suspension! A good friend uses the RRS syatem befoe Gateway had theirs! ROY.
I hope so too! My friend had the drag race version in his super street classed 67 falcon. He loves it, says it drive like a dream at 130 mph lol

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Here's the company that makes it. Not cheap, but the quality is great. I have a flaming river rack, but it's supposed to work with factory steering components. My friend has one in his 67 falcon with factory steering as far as I know. The calipers are baer but I think they are corvette replacements. They don't have any gm part numbers in them so they're ok in my books. They have Baer cast into the visible side. The custom spindles are rear steer and the struts attach to the 3 shock tower bolts that hold the upper shock plate into the tower. They are located with the factory coil spring locators

http://www.gatewaymustang.com/gateway-p ... uspension/[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought it was from Gateway, I was looking at their site but they do not have a lot of technical information about their products. I will contact them and see if they can send me more information.
I also plan to trim the shock towers for some extra room for the headers.
You have a cleavor in your car, is it a 351 block or a 302? I have a 302 and are using a set of JR headers, they are big tube and it is real tight around the plugs.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

65clevorcyclone

351 block. Made the headers from a set of brand new hooker super comps. Should have just bough flanges and j bends as I cut the headers all apart. Think I left one tube alon out of 8 lol.

65clevorcyclone

These headers are 1-7/8" primary, 3.5" collector with 3" stainless exhaust

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thanks for the info.
I know how difficult it is to build headers, I built a set of S.S. Big tube headers and full S.S. Exhaust for my '33 with a 351 Clevor. I used a B&A intake for the conversion. The Comet will use the '70 Boss 302 that was in it years ago. I have a Shelby low rise dual quad set up for it.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

65clevorcyclone

A/FX wrote:Thanks for the info.
I know how difficult it is to build headers, I built a set of S.S. Big tube headers and full S.S. Exhaust for my '33 with a 351 Clevor. I used a B&A intake for the conversion. The Comet will use the '70 Boss 302 that was in it years ago. I have a Shelby low rise dual quad set up for it.
Sounds awesome! You should make a build thread if you haven't already.

poboyjo65

Re: Pics of the 65 Cyclone.

Post by poboyjo65 »

65clevorcyclone wrote:
This angle may work but improper phasing or timing of the 2 u joints could make it worse, & noticeable when driving. A sharp angle like that will make the output shaft speed up twice & slow down twice every revolution, & if not phased right could exaggerate it. I think if you are centered with the wheels straight & rack centered during the ''center'' of a slow spot it would make for better drivability. rather than center of your steering being between a fast spot & a slow spot, which might make it turn quicker one way than the other, at least for a 1/4 of a turn. & that might feel weird driving it.

there quite a few of these videos on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDmz0tibVGM
I know it wont be as bad as a driveshaft but it may be noticeable if you set up center in the wrong spot. Just something to keep in mind though it may not even be noticeable .
Johno

65clevorcyclone

I did do some adjusting of the joints and got the angle to be a little less tight. But this is the way it comes from flaming river. The joints are phased as the shaft has flat spot on opposite sides so the joints can go on outbid phase.

65clevorcyclone

Have been busy the last little while, but got to do some things to the car last night. Mocked up the mid section of the exhaust to check alignment after it was fully tig welded. And i modified a 2005 ford escape gas pedal to work in the car and will use its cable for my throttle body.

The bottoms of the pedals all line up when theyre at they are all hooked up properly.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

WOW ! body color on the bottom? cool! I like the way you went that extra 2 miles to tuck the mufflers higher,very impressive & looks great!!! :D
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

btw, I found new pedal rubbers in the ''help'' section at oreilys for like 5 bucks each.
Johno

65clevorcyclone

Thanks! Yep the whole underside is body color. The engine bay will be satin like original. The exhaust is all 3" stainless that was back purged to weld. It has a flex joint at each header to help absorb vibrations and all connections are v-banded.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I suppose any of the big auto parts has the rubbers,, if they have the dorman ''help'' section
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/searc ... lp!&mc=MTM
probably higher at places like macs .
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I agree that belly looks great! This cars gonna be awesome!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed