AF/X Comet parts

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
afxcomet64

fiberglass

Post by afxcomet64 »

I've been offline for a few months so I'm catchin up. I have most of the f-glass from crites, as far as actual weight diff. I'm not sure but it is a lot lighter. The only thing crites don't offer is doors, his son made 2 sets then went to work somewhere else and they havent made any since. I tried to buy a pair on the cometlist from the 60's, he wanted $250 for them I told him I'd buy just needed total w/shipping. Never heard from him again.

afxcomet64

sorry

Post by afxcomet64 »

sorry for the double post, said there was an error so i resent it, Howie

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

No double post now! I have the power :twisted:
Yeah I'm not sure what the error is, I get it too, but it posts, I ned to look into it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

afxcomet64

f-glass

Post by afxcomet64 »

I almost forgot, there durable enough for street use. Howie

sixtyfourcaliente

AT LAST!

Post by sixtyfourcaliente »

At last... guys that know about these cars! I can't tell you how long I've been looking for a forum like this! Anyway, I was wondering if you could provide me with contacts for handling upgrades.

I'm currently looking at upgrading:
Front coils
Rear leaf springs
Front sway bars
Rear sway bars
All bushings
Idler Arm
Coil perches
KYB shocks

Mind you, this is on a 1964 Merc Caliente that has been sitting for some time. I would love to hear about other areas that I'm missing regarding the handling... brake conversions and such will have to wait until next year.

THANKS!!! :D

TomP

Post by TomP »

The AFX twin scooped hood i have is about 20lbs lighter than steel. It has a double walled panel so other types would be lighter yet. I haven't checked the trunk lid but it feels about 30lbs lighter. I also have the Crites bumpers and the Super Stang doors and fenders so i hope top knock 200lbs off. Much of the doors weight is in the vent wing and window mechanism.

white64

Post by white64 »

On ebay right now are a set of fiberglass doors for a falcon or a comet

A/FX
Comet Central Member

A/FX Fiberglass

Post by A/FX »

The 'glass parts from Crites are very nice quality and from what I have seen fit well. The only thing that I dislike is with is the Hoods. The origanal A/FX hoods that were made by Plaza Fibergalss in Canada were a hood top and a seperate plentinum attached from the bottom. The main part of the underside of the hood was bare fiberglass, not smoth and finished. (eg heavier) I have a mold that was pulled from an origanal A/FX hood many years ago. My hood is from that mold. (NO I will not pull anymore from the mold!) The only hoods like this are the true FX hoods from the race cars. One more note: the A/FX Comets came with a bubble (teardrop)hood first. When the dual scoop hood was developed it was distributed to the teams/owners who ran the FXers.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jim (A/FX) I noticed on your hood from the calendar you have a hood ornament still, is that how the original FX hoods were? And am I correct that Crites hood does not allow for this?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Mike,
The A/FX hoods did not have the ornament. I just wanted to have all the trim on mine. I also glassed in studs for the hinges (no springs) and use hood pins for the front. Being street driven it made more sense than a lift off hood.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That was the first hood I had seen like that, I like it :D

And I agree about having the hood hinged, if I go glass I will for sure do the same.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

65CycloneFTW

Post by 65CycloneFTW »

I have the A/FX Cyclone hood from Crites. I had some major problems with the shipping and service, but the hood is nice. They shipped my hood to the wrong body shop… I tracked it down and got them to ship it to my body shop… then they wouldn't leave it because they said they needed a check (but I already paid for it). They wouldn't leave it, so I had to go through the pain of getting it redelivered, and they finally left it at our shop. The corners were a smashed and they didn't include all the other parts I ordered with the hood (pin kit and prop rod). I asked Crites to credit me for the smashed corners and they said I would have to wait up to 6 months to get some sort of a credit (still waiting). They said they shipped all my other stuff, but that it must have gotten lost in the shipping. I finally got credit on the pin kit. Total pain in the ass experience!

Anyway, I have the hood on, painted and patched… it looks great. I ended up going with the original hood hinges with lightweight springs which you can buy at Unlimited Products (http://up22.com/)… it works great. The only thing I wanted to add to the hood is the original safety latch, but I don't think there is a metal mount plate in the fiberglass for the attachment of the latch. Just makes me nervous only having the pin kit and no back up plan in the case of forgotten pins :shock:
Last edited by 65CycloneFTW on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tough times dont last, but tough people do.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the forum 65CycloneFTW.

Thanks fo the info, I hope it all works out for you, and I'm glad to hear that your pleased with the hood.

Make sure and send picts.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

65CycloneFTW

Post by 65CycloneFTW »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I like the site, very nice and clean… easy to navigate. I've been trolling all the Comet sites and they are all kind of quiet (except for Comet List).

I'll try to post some pics of my Cyclone and the new hood soon. The hardest part of the whole project was deciding how to set the hood up for a functional Ram Air and still getting it C/FX accurate (from what I understand, there was an A/FX, B/FX and C/FX… I wanted it to be as close to the original C/FX set up as possible (the look of an AF/X with a stock 289). Also, I'm not sure the bottom of the Crites hood is exactly the same as the original A/FX hoods, but I'm sure it's pretty close. You hardly ever see pictures of the bottom of the hood and how people integrate the Air Cleaner with the Ram Air on the internet. I looked everywhere (magazines, internet, and some car shows) and got all kinds of variations. All in all, I think it came out great and the Ram Air is a go!

Here's some pics of the A/FX and B/FX that were on eBay not too long ago if anyone is interested.

Also, here's a great story and some information on the different factory experimental Comets! Hawaiian Safari
Last edited by 65CycloneFTW on Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tough times dont last, but tough people do.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Too cool 65CycloneFTW, I enjoyed the picts and article, the eBay car (white one) looks like it was in quite a collection, think I can spot a couple of 64s in the background.

We are working at increasing activity here and hope you stop by often.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread