Holy Geometry.

144-250 cid Inline Six Performance
CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Holy Geometry.

Post by CometNewbie »

My son and I are finally going to tackle the heater core for our 64 comet 404. However, step 1 is removing the glove box. I can't figure out the geometry of getting the glove box interior out without destroying it. Looks like I need a new one anyway but, would I be able to get the new one in without folding it half? I suck at cars.

CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Re: Holy Geometry.

Post by CometNewbie »

Nevermind. After doing just a hint of research, I see that when they get old, they get brittle and you have to buy a new one anyway. Turns out, you do fold the new one to get it it. I really should do the research first before I post questions that make me look like an idiot. :D

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Never hurts to ask anyway, I don't think anyone here will fault you for it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

No such thing as a dumb question. I didn't know how to install one either, and I need one. Mine is missing entirely, thanks to a PO. :roll:

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP's comet has never had one,,way back in the early to middle 90's when we redone it ,I took it out to replace the heater core it fell aprt and I just never bought a new one,,,one reason was I gave thought to putting a plate and mounting a new style radio in there that I had to drop door to get to it...but I really don't care about hearing anything other then the engine so it's still without a glove box after all these yrs.......pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here are some helpful tips on heater box rebuild,probably late with it :roll:
http://www.joesfalcon.com/address.html
there is a part 2, you have to click on it at the end of part 1. I especially like the extra hole for more feet heat. it works!
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

way back when I replaced the core ..I bought the rebuild kit,,all the foam, gaskets and such,,,,I now need to replace that heater core again,,,wonder if that stuff is still useable ??
pop/glenda

CometNewbie
Comet Central Member

Post by CometNewbie »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:45 pm
Here are some helpful tips on heater box rebuild,probably late with it :roll:
http://www.joesfalcon.com/address.html
there is a part 2, you have to click on it at the end of part 1. I especially like the extra hole for more feet heat. it works!
Not too late. We just finished rebuilding the box yesterday and the joesfalcon site helped us tremendously in trying to figure out where the foam seals go. I'm also happy to say that we were able to replace the glove box. However, instead of buying a new heater core assembly, we just re-used the old one. I kinda wished we would have purchased a new assembly because the old one has the defroster vent holes and the feet vents as a slightly stronger cardboard. The new assembly would have been a much stronger plastic. No worries though....Strong duct tape works wonders on that slightly stronger cardboard.