‘64 Cyclone update

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

Re: ‘64 Cyclone update

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks, Jim!

Haven't seen a Clevor build in a long while! Yeah, you have bigger lungs than me. I'm running AFRs w/ Chevy fuelie valves w/ a solid lifter cam of unknown specifications. Been trying to run down the engine builder, but the car has been all over the country last few years. I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and am slowly going through it, trying to solve some mysteries.

Same jet size in the primary circuit I used to run on the A code engines years ago w/ a single 600 cfm Holley.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:14 pm
Thanks, Jim!

Haven't seen a Clevor build in a long while! Yeah, you have bigger lungs than me. I'm running AFRs w/ Chevy fuelie valves w/ a solid lifter cam of unknown specifications. Been trying to run down the engine builder, but the car has been all over the country last few years. I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and am slowly going through it, trying to solve some mysteries.

Same jet size in the primary circuit I used to run on the A code engines years ago w/ a single 600 cfm Holley.

JT
Joe,
The carb’s I am using are 390cfm the engine itself is the same Boss 302 I used in this car back in the ‘70’s but with a few upgrades. Once I get the carb’s dialed in it should run well, it will not be over carbureted.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I found a '65 Cyclone many years ago that had a Boss 302 but the owner really hacked up the inner fender wells rather badly.
You did a great job getting the fit with a clean look.
I figured you were running 390s. Direct replacement for the old original 780 cfm.

Are the heads '69 or '70 castings?

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm
I found a '65 Cyclone many years ago that had a Boss 302 but the owner really hacked up the inner fender wells rather badly.
You did a great job getting the fit with a clean look.
I figured you were running 390s. Direct replacement for the old original 780 cfm.

Are the heads '69 or '70 castings?

JT
Joe,
When I first installed the Boss engine in 1972 it was from a wrecked ‘70 Boss Mustang that I bought, I used almost every mechanical part from that car in the ‘64 and the Comet GT I had. The engine went into the Cyclone without cutting or other modifications except the change to ‘65 style steering. This time around I am using aluminum heads, roller cam, etc. I did section the shock towers for more working room since I do not have upper control arms to deal with. Here is a shock tower after I sectioned it.
Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for the pics, Jim!

Again, really nice work and a beast of a car. :)

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

I have been putting miles on the Cyclone since my last post. I did the Hot Rod 100, (actually it was a 250 mile day of driving in the rain) since then I have driven it to a couple of small events and just cruising on the country roads near my home. At this time I have close to 900 miles on the car, I have been adjusting the carburetors and now seem to have them synced well. The acceleration is almost seamless from idle to full throttle, there is no violent feeling when the second carburetor kicks in or when the vacuum secondary’s open. We have had a week of very good weather that will continue for a couple more days so I plan to put some more miles on it before I lock it in the shop until spring.
We were able to finish the trunk, my interior guy was busy so I did not press him before this,
I bought a roll of factory style material so he had to cut a sew it to fit the contours of the trunk. With the new inner wheel houses and the hump to clear the rear end housing a pre cut mat would not even come close to fitting the space.
My speedometer is not accurate above 40 mph, I have a spare so I brought that one to a local speedometer shop to have checked and calibrated. While it was there I had the odometer set back to match the miles on the car since the reconstruction. I will install it over the winter.
Jim
My photo album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kabinenro ... 464305953/

Here is what the trunk looks like now:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It looks really really good Jim, I probably should have added a lot more reallys :P

I hope to one day add some miles to my Comet besides a mile every other day down to the mailbox and back :roll: at least I have the intake project close to being ready to pour, after it is done I will really have to get busy tuning it.

Anyway, if I didn't mention it before the Comet looks great :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058