Comet 64 Leaf Springs and U-bolts

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Samppafin

Comet 64 Leaf Springs and U-bolts

Post by Samppafin »

Hi,

The summer season is now out here in Finland and my 1964 Comet Caliente Conv 289 V8 on upgrading. I took the original leaf springs with 4 leafs out of car and its ongoing painting of rear axle. I want to make rear suspension harder so I ordered new leaf springs with 5 leafs from Eckler's (USA). The new ones are standard eyes and estimated arriving date late of October so long way from USA to Finland. They did not have new U-bolts in their warehouse and I am now seekeng new ones.

What do you experts think. Is the size of old ones suitable for 5 leaf's springs or do I have to order customize U-bolts?

One company in Finland has Mustang 65 U-bolts (6") in warehouse but is it suitable for Comet's axle? My original ones are also 6" long but not sure about axle diameter and bolt diameter of Mustang 65?
Mercury Comet Caliente 289 V8 - 1964

SASSY

Re: Comet 64 Leaf Springs and U-bolts

Post by SASSY »

On disassembly, did you notice the amount of protrusion the Ubolt had past the nut?
If it was 3/8 on an inch,10mm would probably be enough.
Maybe contact the supplier and find out the measurement of the spring stack against your old one.
I think Mustang and Comet 8 inch housings would be the same dia. but no personal experience with them.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Samppafin

Post by Samppafin »

It was about 10mm past the nut and my old leafs was about 7mm so with new ones only 3mm past the bolt. Not so much.

Sami
Mercury Comet Caliente 289 V8 - 1964

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AS long as you have a full nut of threads,it will work....that rule of thumb is for any bolt any where....pop
pop/glenda