Aftermarket Floor Shifter ?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
joswald

Aftermarket Floor Shifter ?

Post by joswald »

After doing some research on my steering column problem, someone suggested I try a floor shifter instead. Evidently there was a lawsuit with Ford about poor design of there steering columns. Seems they would pop out of gear very easily and start rolling. That's what mine does. So has anyone converted their column shift to a floor shift? Any suggestions people? I have a 1964 Comet 202 200ci with the two speed auto transmission. I need some positive feed back. Thanks.

poboyjo65

Re: Aftermarket Floor Shifter ?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mustangs & other fords of the era had a pretty cool floor chrome t handle shifter Most people (unless they are comet oriented) would not know that it wasn't factory.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Here's the whole 'green dot' assembly.
Not a bad price, considering it is complete and ready to bolt up.

https://www.ebay.com/i/363184273964?chn ... jWEALw_wcB

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that shifter is for a c4,,if I understood what I read he has a 2spd,,,altho am sure a c4 shifter can be made to work,,without much problems....but I can;t recall a floor mounted shifter for a 2spd in a ford,,,but I could be wrong..pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:38 pm
that shifter is for a c4,,if I understood what I read he has a 2spd,,,altho am sure a c4 shifter can be made to work,,without much problems....but I can;t recall a floor mounted shifter for a 2spd in a ford,,,but I could be wrong..pop
Only 2 speed floor shifter I've seen was for a *cough**cough* Powerglide (excuse my French) :lol:

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

southcross 2631

Post by southcross 2631 »

Put a clutch pedal in it and a 4 speed and have a real reason for a floor shift.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

my 77 v8 AT bronco will come out of park on it's own,,,,but have learned to listen for the click from the trans when it goes into PARK,,,but that click comes from the trans not the column,,,,,what happens is the pawl in the tranny does not catch fully to lock itself into park,,,my bronco rolled into the side of a brand new ford F250 one morning ,stopped for a cup of coffee and did not listen for the click..was in a hurry headed for deer camp,,,,have gave thought to readjust the linkage and make it just a tad longer ..pop
pop/glenda