65 Caliente

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Suprdave1

65 Caliente

Post by Suprdave1 »

I have a friend with a 65 Mercury Comet Caliente and am helping him with replacing metal! The rear frame rails are almost rusted away and he is wanting to clean them and them weld new metal around them. Not sure this is a good idea. any help/thoughts/recommendations? I was trying to find him a donor car in better shape, but that ain't working
Have you ever stopped to think? And forget to start again? :roll: :shock:

Suprdave1

Re: 65 Caliente

Post by Suprdave1 »

I'm in Mt. Juliet, east of Nashville. I'm not sure what his plans really are. He's talking about a 351, but we'll see. The entire rear of the car is nothing but rust. I don't have pics, but can get some later. The trunk pan has been cut out and we are looking at what is left of the frame and it ain't much!! I may try to talk him into replacing it with a full length rectangle tubing as it would require a lot less welding. His funds are very limited, but I'm trying to locate a donor with a lot less rust

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

There will be lots a welding regardless. As a unibody car all the metal in the car is the strengh of the car.
But I agree rectangular tubing will be easier.
I did rectangular tubing in the back of mine and moved the leaf spring in as well. If you decide on that route I have pics and would offer insight. My car isnt a highend build so dont expect too much.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Suprdave1

Post by Suprdave1 »

I would appreciate anything you can send me. What size tubing did you use and did you have it bent or cut and weld?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

In the link below there are pics on pages 1,3 and 5 of the 2x3- .125 wall install from the top of the kick to rear, how the rear spring eyes and bumper were picked up.
Its been there a long time and treated harsh.
Page 4 has pics of the frame connector install.
I hope others will throw in their 2cents so you get a range of ideas.
Fred
https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =25&t=1288
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Suprdave1

Post by Suprdave1 »

I found that yesterday and spent a lot of time scrolling through it. My problem is almost all the photos only show up as boxes with an "X" and do nothing. I tried IE, Google Chrome and IOS with the same result. Also some of the pics for offsite hosting are broken links.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Probably that dam hosting site photobucket! I see the pics and no one else has indicated to me they don't.
I'll see what I can do.
Fred

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

These are the pics I wanted to show you.
The springs were moved to the inside of the frame rail at the front bolt to make clearance for bigger tires so we had to chase around at the back to pick up the rear spring mount and bumper. These pics are over many years. Some of the work was done around 1980 then I added the bumper mount recently.
Hope this will at least give you sone ideas.
Fred

Suprdave1

Post by Suprdave1 »

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A while back when photobucket screwed everyone with their ransom policy, John (poboyjo65) posted a link to an add-in for Chrome that would allow you to view the photos anyway. I installed it and it worked like a charm. John, can you still dredge up that link?

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:30 pm
A while back when photobucket screwed everyone with their ransom policy, John (poboyjo65) posted a link to an add-in for Chrome that would allow you to view the photos anyway. I installed it and it worked like a charm. John, can you still dredge up that link?

Jim
Jim here is this one for firefox I think;
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... edded-fix/

I looked at the first ten pages of sassys thread & I could see all of his pics so I guess it still working for me.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

I thought you posted one for firefox and one for chrome. I use chrome and I know I downloaded a fix you posted a link to. And I can also see all of Sassy's pics, so mine must be working, too. :?

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I have changed out a lot of photobucket hosted pics to other hosts, same pic different host in that thread.

Fred

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here is the link Jim, but I think it is dead.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dkpmcpkaon
Johno

Suprdave1

Post by Suprdave1 »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:28 am
I have changed out a lot of photobucket hosted pics to other hosts, same pic different host in that thread.

Fred
Is there someway you could post those pics in a google account and share the link? I had a guy do that from a Chevelle site for seat rebuilds. Worked great!
Thanks by the way.