Chrisman’s Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Chrisman’s Comet

Post by A/FX »

It’s hard to believe but until today I had never seen this picture. Note the tow vehicle, a ‘65 Mercury Colony Park.
This red 1965 Comet is actually Jacks white 1964 Comet A/FX car, it was changed to ‘65 sheet metal when the model year changed.
Any 1964 Chrisman Comet that is out there today is a replica.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

lavron
Site Admin

Re: Chrisman’s Comet

Post by lavron »

I knew about the body swap, I thought this car also got the flip-up body later (it was all in steel, I bet it would have been a bear to lift up).

Several years ago Jack's daughter was building a white '64 A/FX tribute Comet and was selling parts off the car on eBay to help fund it, I bought the wiper system off the car to help out, it has been hanging on my shed wall since, until this summer when I used it in my 2-speed/intermittent wiper modification, I may use the wiper arms and linkages as well because I think they are less worn than my current ones- I did not need the wiper motor etc when I bought it, I was just trying to help out but now my Comet has a link to the Chrisman Comet :roll: even though I don't know if she ever got the car built.

I can't remember where it was, a forum? she was a member but that is where I got this information (well from my memory now)

Was it this car they changed the rules over because no one could beat it or was that a different car(s)?

I wonder what happened to the original?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

lavron wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:02 pm
Was it this car they changed the rules over because no one could beat it or was that a different car(s)?
Maybe Don Nicholson's car? Can't remember.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

If my memory is correct the ‘65 Car morphed into a set back blown, injected SOHC that was only legal for match racing. The car toured with other cars (any brand) that raced against each other for exhibition. Basically to please the crowd. When they started to cut up the bodies they looked “funny” and the term Funny Car was born.
It would interesting to see an Accurate timeline of the Comet race cars. Anyone seen one?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I saw several of those cars in MEMPHIS YRS AGO,,,AT the MEMPHIS MOTOR SPORT PARK,,,they did not race any,,they were there just to look at only and from a distance at that...pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

A/FX wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:37 pm
It would interesting to see an Accurate timeline of the Comet race cars. Anyone seen one?
I had a lot of books on Don's '65 Cammer car years ago but I don't know what happened to them.
He raced a Wagon and Cyclone back in '64 and I think they were high-risers. He dropped the Cammer in the '65 and tore everybody up on the strip. That may be the car that pushed the limits for stock body. His flip-top fiberglass '66 was supercharged and was built on a tube frame with a set back single center seat. Everyone claims the Eliminator I was the first funny car made.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

Barillaro Speed Shop in Knoxville, TN own the 65 and 67 flip top.
http://www.barillarospeed.net/chrismans-comets.html

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

This may fill in some of the blanks....
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/jack-ch ... evolution/

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Saw the 67 in an exhibition run in 1993 at the Ford Performance Club of America show,swap,races at Kil-Kare in Zenia,Oh. No full out deal but super impressive at any rate.The theme for the event was Mercury and Comet and was a bonanza of A-FX and B-FX Comets. I was restoring a '70 Cyclone Spoiler at the time but knew in my mind the next project would be a Comet. The Holiday Inn lot was packed with these cars along with original T-Bolts and a whole slew of cool 5.0 stuff.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:56 am
Barillaro Speed Shop in Knoxville, TN own the 65 and 67 flip top.
http://www.barillarospeed.net/chrismans-comets.html

Joe
:idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe we need to get Pugs,(our comet policeman in knoxville) to show up at this shop in his police uniform,maybe stake out the place, write all of people there an expensive ticket, or maybe a stack of them like I use to get, then tell them he'll tear em all up if they bring these famous comet race cars to the gathering!!! :P
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I have some great pictures of a local cyclone here campaigned by Wayne Gapp. In the 70's he would partener with Jack Roush
Attachments
gappaltered - Edited (1).png
gappaltered - Edited (1).png (91.2 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Front-end-427-SOHC1 - Edited.png
Front-end-427-SOHC1 - Edited.png (110.06 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Cometstu1 - Edited.png
Cometstu1 - Edited.png (95.51 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Comet-Wayne-Gapp-65-Comet1.jpg
Comet-Wayne-Gapp-65-Comet1.jpg (96.63 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am

:idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe we need to get Pugs,(our comet policeman in knoxville) to show up at this shop in his police uniform,maybe stake out the place, write all of people there an expensive ticket, or maybe a stack of them like I use to get, then tell them he'll tear em all up if they bring these famous comet race cars to the gathering!!! :P
You must have been in Marketing in a former life. :wink:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:07 pm
poboyjo65 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:17 am

You must have been in Marketing in a former life. :wink:

Jim
So does that mean you think its a good idea? :? Maybe thats too much? maybe just whip out the ticket book & pretend to write?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:15 pm
I have some great pictures of a local cyclone here campaigned by Wayne Gapp. In the 70's he would partener with Jack Roush
Thanks for sharing those, Boss! 8)
I think those were the hairiest drag cars of all time. More than I would want to handle, white knuckle ride.
Used to dream about building my '65 Cyclone like one, 30 years ago.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I have never seen that pic of the Chrisman comet before either. The Chrisman comet still, exists but Dyno Dons comet was cut up. After he sold it they chopped the roof and had a funky 70s style paint job. I have seen pics of the body cut up. Roy had one pic and it was definitely the chopped roof comet. There was some claiming they had the original comet and were restoring it. No seems to no what part came from Dyno dons comet.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4