Chrisman’s Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Chrisman’s Comet

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

tweaked wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:30 pm
I have never seen that pic of the Chrisman comet before either. The Chrisman comet still, exists but Dyno Dons comet was cut up. After he sold it they chopped the roof and had a funky 70s style paint job. I have seen pics of the body cut up. Roy had one pic and it was definitely the chopped roof comet. There was some claiming they had the original comet and were restoring it. No seems to no what part came from Dyno dons comet.

Roger
I saw the pictures of what they claimed is Dyno Don's 65 when they found it and the evidence they say made it his. Pretty skechty, I did not think it was his. I think they took down the site with all the "as found pictures" because so many people were disputing it. It is all restored now, when the one they restored was blue and had some similar features but was missing some of the mods done to the front suspension that were shown in detail in early magazines.

https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/view ... =11&t=4928

Link to original discussion. Unfortunately back then I hot linked the the photo of "as found" and the site is gone now.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:08 am
Link to original discussion. Unfortunately back then I hot linked the the photo of "as found" and the site is gone now.
If the car was 'found' with a stock-type suspension, you were correct.
The trailer photo is the real deal. The car had a straight axle and Don altered it, moving the suspension forward, like the altered Max Wedge MoPars. Sorry for the hi-jack, but Dyno Don was a fave of mine. :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I went back through the pages here and on the HAMB. This has been argued about many times. To many missing pics on the HAMB. It seemed like people that where in the know, knew what happened to the original car. I think a tribute car is better anyways. Honor a legend and built for yourself.

Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Made in Canada, Built for speed.
Tweaked65 on instagram

https://youtu.be/JCVwEitXSi4

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I need to google and see if his daughter ever got her tribute car done, the HAMB may have been where those original posts were or maybe on the falcon forum.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

I think it was a HAMB member by the user name Muttley that posted the pics and a lot of his pics are missing now. I could be wrong. I never saw any pics of a tribute comet.

I searched and found the pages and pics. It wasn't Muttley. It does sound like they did restore Dyno's 65 but some might say it was a rebody. I will post tomorrow.
Roger
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Tweaked65 on instagram

Muttley

Post by Muttley »

tweaked wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 pm
I think it was a HAMB member by the user name Muttley that posted the pics and a lot of his pics are missing now.
You rang?

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Muttley wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 am
tweaked wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:57 pm
I think it was a HAMB member by the user name Muttley that posted the pics and a lot of his pics are missing now.
You rang?
I thought it was a pic you posted as you posted many. I found the pics and posts I was looking for.
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Tweaked65 on instagram

tweaked

Post by tweaked »

Last night I started reading through the HAMB comet thread on around page 84 there was talk about the restoring on Dyno Dons 65. some say restoration and others say rebody. I will post some of the comments and try to post the pics.

Lot of people are confusing things. Here goes. Pete Gates bought only the 1965 Comet from Dyno Don. Dyno Don`s Eliminator 1 was destroyed at Cecil County in early 1967. Pete Gates was able to get a left over 1966 Mercury Comet body, to start out the 1967 season. Hard to be the same car, when raced together with these 2 cars. He later got a new 1967 Mercury Cyclone body in mid year. Pete later sold both Comets and the Logghe chassis to Wayne Gapp. Dyno`s 1967 Mercury Comet was never sold to another racer. Dyno Don sold the 1964 AFX Comet to Matt Fenton, not Bagwell. Bagwell did buy the wagon. Wagon was cut in half by the flywheel I believe, and was buried. Was later dug up, and the tag off the glovebox was taken off. Dyno`s other 1965 Comet, the one Eddie Schartman drove, was sold to Ray Uhl, out of Cleveland, Ohio. There are issues with the now restored Schartman car. I can do for you Bob, if needed. Daryl

I recently saw a pictuire of a black primered 65 Comet with a chopped top A.W.B. It was in the build up area of Fremont Drag Strip. It was lettered Dyno Don on the side. I've never heard of that version before. Dose anybody have any info on that version?
This is the Dyno car later on after Pete Gates. When the car was found (by a friend of mine) it had the chopped top, straight axle and AWB. It was part of the "Lady Bug" racing team.

I am one of the restorers that did the 65 Nicholson car. It was NOT a rebody per say, but yes, a ton of metal was changed over the years. The owner at the time had a real super collection of real high dollar musclecars and was very adamant about using as much as we could. Everone knows the top was chopped, that was already fixed when we got it. It was altered wheelbase, so quarters were done and rear floor and wheel wells. it had the front frame cut out for a straight axle so the inner fenders and front frame were redone. It would have been the easy way out to just get a doner and swap what little there was, but some real time and cost was put into it. It was finished around 1995, sold to a collector in TN sometime later on. I know its been critiqued pretty hard around here, but at the time we were going on all the pictures and info we could find, some parts werent obtainable at the time. I'll have to try and find some pics and scan, it was before the digital camera age for me. Micky
Micky Hale
Warlock AA/GS Austin

2. I saw that car today along with about 2 inches of documentation as to who had it and when dating back to the original paperwork from LM. I own a body shop and pride myself on my own work but I will have to say that this car is fabulous. The gentleman that has it now also has at least the AWB quarters that were on it when raced in that configuration. I'd take it in a heartbeat and feel good about calling it the real deal.
AFX1964, JAN 5, 2011

https://cometcentral.com/photos/album/YkA7
65 comet 7.61@96mph 1/8
Tweaked65 on instagram

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Roger,that is one of the images I remember of the car. Nice job finding it.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Thanks for digging this up, Roger!

I had several articles and photos of Don's car back in the 80s when I had my Cyclone but they are long gone, it seems. I've been digging around the house, hoping to find them. I have a lot of things still stored from my last move almost 20 years ago. I don't think they got trashed (I hope). If I find them, I'll scan pictures and post them here.

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi