Finally building my 64 Comet

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Finally building my 64 Comet

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:20 am
I just want to connect everything else to power so I can run the lights and stuff off the key.
I looked back but did not see a reference, but is the key the original stock? If that was the case I would think you could hook everything up as stock except leave the starter wire off and move it to the push button, I think I would take the wires off of a stock switch as well and use the ACC wire to trigger a relay connected direct to power and not have but minimal power running through the switch, on mine I made the IGN ON and the ACC ON power relays, the starter wire already powers the Mustang relay on the fender.

That may not be at all what you are asking about :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

lavron wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:17 pm
but is the key the original stock? If that was the case I would think you could hook everything up as stock except leave the starter wire off and move it to the push button, I think I would take the wires off of a stock switch as well and use the ACC wire to trigger a relay connected direct to power and not have but minimal power running through the switch, on mine I made the IGN ON and the ACC ON power relays, the starter wire already powers the Mustang relay on the fender.

That may not be at all what you are asking about :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
that was not exactly what I was asking but thank you for the info Mike. I guess to make it short and to the point, what im asking is which wire from the wiring harness that comes through the firewall into the engine bay, connects to the battery positive to power all of the accessories for the car. I was to connect that back to my new battery positive so everything works as it used to.
1964 Mercury Comet 404 with 347 stroker

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 pm
that was not exactly what I was asking but thank you for the info Mike. I guess to make it short and to the point, what im asking is which wire from the wiring harness that comes through the firewall into the engine bay, connects to the battery positive to power all of the accessories for the car. I was to connect that back to my new battery positive so everything works as it used to.
I figured so :roll: :P

Of course, you know the big yellow wire ( I think it is yellow) that attaches to the middle of the ignition switch is hot from the battery.

Here is a '64 wiring diagram, if you don't already have one.

EDIT - According to the diagram it is a black wire from the battery that is attached to the starter solenoid.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

lavron wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 am

I figured so :roll: :P

Of course, you know the big yellow wire ( I think it is yellow) that attaches to the middle of the ignition switch is hot from the battery.

Here is a '64 wiring diagram, if you don't already have one.

EDIT - According to the diagram it is a black wire from the battery that is attached to the starter solenoid.

See Ya,
Mike
awesome that's exactly what I was looking for, I swear I always forget I have the original shop manual for my car that has all of this information in it. I need to start keeping it out on my workbench lol.

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Well yesterday was a very exciting day to say the least, my buddy came over early in the morning and we worked all day getting all the little things finished to start the car finally and by the time it got dark we had it running and idling! If anyone knows how to post a video on here and could help me with that I’d greatly appreciate it!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Just put it on youtube,then post a link to it on here. Congrats on the progress!!! :D
Johno

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Alright here it is! https://youtu.be/TRIyDelcgQM
Hope the audio works good, it sounds good on my phone though.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

That is cool, it is so exciting to get them started for the first time. Congrats.

I will sit and watch my engine running, if not live I watch my own videos over and over :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

lavron wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:40 pm
That is cool, it is so exciting to get them started for the first time. Congrats.

I will sit and watch my engine running, if not live I watch my own videos over and over :roll: :P
oh trust me mike ive been watching that video over and over today :lol:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

smithhe wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:01 pm
lavron wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:40 pm

oh trust me mike ive been watching that video over and over today :lol:
Dont you wish you woulda left the camera under the car for a few more bars of yo favorite new song. Sounds really wicked on my home stereo. bet the neighbors think I'm working on my car! congrats chief! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Eee-Hawww! It's alive! :shock: 8) Sounds wicked, too.

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

love it,,,,,ratty-tat-tat love it love it......you did good....pop
pop/glenda

smithhe

Post by smithhe »

Thank you all for the responses, it really was amazing being able to hear that thing run for the first time and not have any issues with it whatsoever, just ordered a full rebuild for the front suspension so I’ll post some updates of that next week and then she’ll be ready for the road! I’ll be sure to take another video of that.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Ratty engine! I love it :D

JT

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

smithhe wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:26 am
Thank you all for the responses, it really was amazing being able to hear that thing run for the first time and not have any issues with it whatsoever, just ordered a full rebuild for the front suspension so I’ll post some updates of that next week and then she’ll be ready for the road! I’ll be sure to take another video of that.
Sometime if you could make it I would love to see it at Pigeon Forge, We sedan guys are underrepresented there :P TNtrash sold his '64 sedan so I have to get mine there this year so we will have at least one :lol: Plus I like seeing all the Comets in person and especially the drivers, that is the best part, you discover the fellows are just as nice in person as on the forum, maybe nicer :lol:

I love your Comet, nice work!

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread