1964 comet gauge lens fix

Discussions about general body work and modifications
64boyyyyyyy

1964 comet gauge lens fix

Post by 64boyyyyyyy »

Hey not sure if this question has been answered on here already but im in the middle of restoring my gauge cluster and the one-piece lens covering the gauges is really cloudy and oxidized. I was wondering if there was anyway to fix this? I've seen people use that 3M polishing compound on oxidized plastic headlights and it works pretty good, so I might give that try. Also wondering if anyplace sells new ones?
Thanks in advance.

SASSY

Re: 1964 comet gauge lens fix

Post by SASSY »

I dont think,,,, but haven't tried 3 m compound will work, too abrasive. Proper headlight restoration products probably a better place to start, Pledge furniture polish worked well on my lexan stock car windshield. Maybe polish for motorcycle windshields.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

64boyyyyyyy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:40 pm
Hey not sure if this question has been answered on here already but im in the middle of restoring my gauge cluster and the one-piece lens covering the gauges is really cloudy and oxidized. I was wondering if there was anyway to fix this? I've seen people use that 3M polishing compound on oxidized plastic headlights and it works pretty good, so I might give that try. Also wondering if anyplace sells new ones?
Thanks in advance.
I have had quite a bit of experience with polishing acrylic. One of my other vehicles has a clear acrylic (plexiglass) canopy, I have also restored canopy’s on cars I have restored for clients.
Depending on condition sometimes I start with 600 grit abrasive and work my way to 5000 grit. I also use this product: https://www.novuspolish.com/ for final polishing and for parts that do not need abrasive. Try a sample to make sure you know the process before starting on your gauge lens. One more important item- the main reason dash lenses become cloudy is that some has used a window cleaner on it. Most window cleaners have ammonia in them, ammonia will attack plastic, make sure you use a cleaner that is safe for acrylic.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

64boyyyyyyy

Post by 64boyyyyyyy »

[/quote]I start with 600 grit abrasive and work my way to 5000 grit.[/quote]

I'm guessing you wet sand it?
Thanks for the response by the way

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

64boyyyyyyy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 pm
I start with 600 grit abrasive and work my way to 5000 grit.[/quote]

I'm guessing you wet sand it?
Thanks for the response by the way
[/quote]

Yes, H2O with a little dish soap. I would try the polish first, abrasive is when it is scratched, polish when it is cloudy.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”