Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by A/FX »

My battery is in the trunk on the passenger side. I ran the positive cable through a protective conduit that goes through the rocker panels to a conduit in the front wheel area then into the engine compartment near the starter. I used 00 welding cable. The ground from the battery goes to a master disconnect switch then to a tapped lug I welded to the body. There are multiple cables that connect the body to the engine and sub frame. I also have a 175 amp mega fuse between the cable and the starter, this protects the entire vehicle from a dead short.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Afx posted some pics in his build of the conduit install. I think it's the best solution for running wire front to back I've seen and will use that next time I'm in there!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thank you all for the responses to my question. I have built a trunk mount for the right side of my car and I have a 250A manual reset circuit breaker built onto the Optima battery mount for the + terminal. I have modified my battery box to become a terminal/relay location site. I am planning on running both cables from the trunk up the right side of the car ending in + and - color coded insulated terminal strips. I will locate a negative disconnect switch somewhere in that area. I also have bulkhead terminal connectors for leaving the trunk and getting into the engine bay. I have seen the cable routing done inside the car and outside the car and I am at the point of making that decision. Your posts will help me decide and I can mock it all up while I have the car on the rotisserie. I will post photos when I can-------------Thanks--------------Douglas-----------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I fabricated the trunk battery mount and made the hard decisions on mounting ect.
I'm having a little trouble posting photos today. The vertical piece is where the 250A circuit will be direct from the + post of the battery.
The battery mount plate is welded solid to the floor in the right side.
I made little brackets that go from the battery mount to 10GA doubler plates directly over the subframe.
So the trunk mount is done and the battery box is rebuilt to take the terminal strips and relays.
I am conflicted where to run the cables but at the moment the inside route is winning the thought contest.
Next up will be prepping for primer and putting panel bond on all the seams. My epoxy primer is flat black and I am unsure how the neighbors will react if I start gun painting the thing in my driveway.
-----------Douglas out------------------------

comethead

Post by comethead »

On my track Falcon I punched a hole in the rear trunk panel and ran the battery cable forward alongside the right side rocker. It’s covered in a black Heatshield protective wrap.
At the firewall I punched another hole and the cable runs forward next to the shock tower to the starter solenoid.
I used rubber grommets where the cable passes through sheet metal.
Been to a few track events where the car got tech’d without a problem.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

pdc427

Post by pdc427 »

Doug,
Here are the pics of the bumpers. Couldn't figure out how to include them in the PM that I just sent to you. I will email you better pictures.
Phil
Attachments
20210522_134853.jpg
20210522_134853.jpg (130.47 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
20210522_134842.jpg
20210522_134842.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
20210522_134830.jpg
20210522_134830.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
20210522_134809.jpg
20210522_134809.jpg (126.41 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Last edited by pdc427 on Thu May 27, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A/FX wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:51 pm
My battery is in the trunk on the passenger side. I ran the positive cable through a protective conduit that goes through the rocker panels to a conduit in the front wheel area then into the engine compartment near the starter. I used 00 welding cable. The ground from the battery goes to a master disconnect switch then to a tapped lug I welded to the body. There are multiple cables that connect the body to the engine and sub frame. I also have a 175 amp mega fuse between the cable and the starter, this protects the entire vehicle from a dead short.
I ran a 250amp circuit breaker right after my battery instead of a fuse so if it ever tripped I could just reset it and not have to have a replacement fuse.
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 am
Afx posted some pics in his build of the conduit instaI think it's the best solution for running wire front to back I've seen and will use that next time I'm in there!
Fred
Wondering when that will be at times I think Sassy is apart more than together :roll:

seeYa,
mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Hey Mike-good to see you posting again. I know it has been a challenge for you and the site misses your input.
Keep getting better
Douglas=

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Took a few days off from the car. Visiting friends and having my wife's family birthday party.
I am done with the metal work and putting on the seam sealer and getting it ready for primer.
Still on the hunt for factory bumpers, hope to have that solved soon.
Happy Memorial day to all and everyone.
Douglas-------------------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Happy Memorial Day, Doug!

From what I'm reading, chroming is going through the roof. Environmental regs, from what I've heard but may be from lack of demand. Guys paying $1K to chrome a pair. Good luck!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Joe Travers wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:21 pm
Happy Memorial Day, Doug!

From what I'm reading, chroming is going through the roof. Environmental regs, from what I've heard but may be from lack of demand. Guys paying $1K to chrome a pair. Good luck!

Joe
I may have mentioned this before. I had my ‘64 Bumpers re chromed by North Star Plating in Minnesota, they did an excellent job, if you have ever done chrome then you know how difficult it is to do right, polishing is the key and trying to polish something the size of a Comet bumper is extremely difficult. I was more than pleased and willing to pay the price for perfect chrome. $980 both bumpers delivered to my door.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Hey guys, I dug out my invoice from 2010 for the bumpers on my 67 Barracuda and it was
$695.00 for both delivered to my door. On these 65 cars the bumpers make the car (IMHO)
so I am prepared to pay for the chroming if I can get it. I'm going to try the outfit that did my
last two cars and see if I can get them to do it. If not I will be shopping for a chromer.
---------Douglas-----------------

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Well I got two good bumper cores from a member here who did me the kindness of crating and shipping them to me with brackets and fasteners. Today I took them to Spokane and made a deal with Spokane Metal Finishing to iron them out and triple plate them. Not cheap but they are take-offs from a 65 Cyclone and the chromer says they are good candidates for his triple plate process. So I am on to the next thing----------------------

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

You are going to have a #1 car when you get finished, Doug.
Don't get the opportunity to see many restorations like this. Hope you drive the socks off of her when you get finished.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi