ITS TIME TO SWAP

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Joe Travers

Re: ITS TIME TO SWAP

Post by Joe Travers »

Great find! Hard to find original stuff, always have to be patient. Kind of like still hunting white-tails.
For me, finding original parts is the fun part of owning a great old car. The satisfaction is scoring on the hunt.
Rock on, Chief!

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

you can't never have to many spare parts,,,,pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:09 pm
you can't never have to many spare parts,,,,pop
As long as you have 4he space :lol: Someday I will build a loft in the shed :lol: q
See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

people can say what they want about optima battries,but my trans went out back in nov.so my car has been sitting for nearly 6 months during my 4 speed swap.i bought my battery back in 2015 and i thought i was going to have to buy a new one anyway so i let it go uncharged since nov.i got in it today and turned the key for the first time in 6 months,and to my surprise my fuel pump started running,so i let it fill the carb bowls and checked for leaks.no leaks.i thought i would push the starter button,so i did,and it fired up right away with the 6 year old optima that had not been charged in 6 months. BUT ANYWAY,MY CAR FIRED UP AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OK.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

fryedaddy wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:35 pm
people can say what they want about optima battries,but my trans went out back in nov.so my car has been sitting for nearly 6 months during my 4 speed swap.i bought my battery back in 2015 and i thought i was going to have to buy a new one anyway so i let it go uncharged since nov.i got in it today and turned the key for the first time in 6 months,and to my surprise my fuel pump started running,so i let it fill the carb bowls and checked for leaks.no leaks.i thought i would push the starter button,so i did,and it fired up right away with the 6 year old optima that had not been charged in 6 months. BUT ANYWAY,MY CAR FIRED UP AND EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE OK.
I have never owned an Optima battery but I have heard quite a bit of bad reports about them. Being owned by a local to me company I am interested in what happened to their quality.
I found this article which coming from the manufacturer is proof that they have had more than a few complaints on their products. Of course they want to down play the issues and try to keep their market share of sales. I decided to purchase a NAPA AGM battery for the Cyclone and so far I am pleased. Here is the article: https://www.optimabatteries.com/experie ... -the-truth
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

a lot of stuff i dont keep up with.i bought the battery in 2014 or 2015.i might have gotten one of the last good ones.i have a holder specially made for the optima,i got it for a bday gift im going to drive my comet a little at a time and drive normal too so i can break in my new clutch.the temptation is there but i think i can avoid full throttle for a week or two.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

my bad luck strikes again.i had the front of my comet jacked up to check as thing or two.i got the safty stands out from under the car sand started lowering it.a block of wook popped off the jack and the car dropped.i looked under it and saw that my oil pan had a big dent in the front bottom where the pickup is.looks like im going to have to pull the oil pan and replace or fix itit reminds me of hee-haw and that doom,bad luck song.if it weren't for bad luck i would have no luck at all
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

my oil pressure went straight to 80 when i fired it up.it scared me for a minute i was looking at the wrong guage.i will just run it for now and maybe get me a good aftermarket pan.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

picked up my driveshaft yesterday,put new universals in it,painted it black and installed it.im getting ready to go for a ride.i cranked it up last night and adjusted the clutch and let it warm up for the first time in 6 months.i might make a video later when i get my clutch broke in and the bugs out of it.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

this trans swap is still kicking my butt.im having wiring problems now and i had to swap starters today too.i hope to get the bugs out of it.six months sitting did not do it any good.
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

im still having wiring problems.i got the starter working and went for a ride.it would not go into 4th gear,so i brought it home,adjusted the shifter linkage and got 4th working,but the next time i got in it,the starter is working but the fuel pump and gauges are not lighting up or working.im going to get my son to make some changes with the wiring and fuse box.i like the mechanical stuff,IM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN.THATS ONE AREA I DONT MIND ASKING FOR HELP WITH.other than that, the clutch is very smooth and its nice to have it back 4 speed,the way it belongs.with the C6 and 3800 stall it was smooth and idled good too,even in gear but with the 4 speed i can feel the cam making the car jerk a little when im just chugging along.i like it!
fryedaddy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

fryedaddy wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 pm
with the C6 and 3800 stall it was smooth and idled good too,even in gear
& boring as hell!
fryedaddy wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:04 pm
but with the 4 speed i can feel the cam making the car jerk a little when im just chugging along.i like it!
that part is cool for a bit, but gets annoying after a while. either have to clutch it,speed up or downshift,when I just want to chug along. I was threatening to swap cams to a buddy sitting in the shop one day telling him about that annoyance, then I cranked it up & it was sittin there hittin a lick & he said yea but it'd be a damn shame to pull a cam for hittin like that, & we both smiled at each other & he said heck you wont ever pull that cam! I said I know !!! :D
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i dont like when you are going too slow and it really starts jerking.but even at 3000-3500 it makes little jerks that you can barely feel,thats what sounds and feels good.
fryedaddy

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

fryedaddy wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 am
i dont like when you are going too slow and it really starts jerking.but even at 3000-3500 it makes little jerks that you can barely feel,thats what sounds and feels good.
You have an old chop chop long duration grind? Just curious.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

old chop chop cam from back in the day.i got my wiring issues solved.looks like i had a mouse in my garage over the winter.i found a small hole in my headliner too.thats a shame because my interior is still stock and my headliner was almost perfect.i need new carpet and the drivers bucket covered and my int would be ok.but my paint is fading and getting thin in places.but thats how i like them.i dont have to worry about parking lots etc.my dads 66 gt fairlane show car is just the opposite.he worries about every little detail.
fryedaddy