Doug's 65 Cyclone build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
DesertRat

Re: Doug's 65 Cyclone build

Post by DesertRat »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:29 pm
Lookin' good! With all this going on in front of your house, I'm surprised some neighborhood child entrepreneur hasn't set up a lemonade stand, some folding chairs and started charging admission to watch. :lol: :lol:

Jim
Funny you should mention that Jim. I am drawing more and more spectators as the car takes shape. It doesn't hurt that my daily driver completed 1967 Barracuda coupe parked out front so they all know a car guy lives there. Today a guy stopped and wanted my advice on bodywork and they all have a million questions about what I am doing. At this point I am just trying to beat the weather. My next move is to get the doors to bare metal and hung on the car so I can work on the lines. With the sandable on the car I can start thinking about blocking and working the whole car some. It does need it.
Douglas---------------------_I.am hopping for some sort of scyncronisity between getting moved to my new work space and my ability to work again so I can get some things done once I am there I think it would be good therapy I am sure if I could sit to work I could do what I need or hopefully will be able too Insurance dropped the ball again on getting me into a facility for rehab so waiting on them now and still home you would think my dr had ordered it but they have more power than the drin determining what care Get but they have no problems collecting thier premiums
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Besides romping around in them, this is my favorite part of owning a Comet.
Have people drop by and talk when I'm outside working on the car. Have had a handful with Comet stories from the past. An older gentleman told me his college professor drove a new '64 Caliente and boiled the tires in the campus parking lot all of the time :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

DesertRat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:41 pm
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:29 pm
Lookin' good! With all this going on in front of your house, I'm surprised some neighborhood child entrepreneur hasn't set up a lemonade stand, some folding chairs and started charging admission to watch. :lol: :lol:
Rent the kid a premium space up close :lol: :lol:
Jim
Funny you should mention that Jim. I am drawing more and more spectators as the car takes shape. It doesn't hurt that my daily driver completed 1967 Barracuda coupe parked out front so they all know a car guy lives there. Today a guy stopped and wanted my advice on bodywork and they all have a million questions about what I am doing. At this point I am just trying to beat the weather. My next move is to get the doors to bare metal and hung on the car
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Picked up my bumpers from the chromer today. Left a bunch of interior and badging for restoration. I'm making progress behind the scenes.

loman

Post by loman »

DesertRat wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:58 pm
Picked up my bumpers from the chromer today. Left a bunch of interior and badging for restoration. I'm making progress behind the scenes.
Baby steps. Who did you use for rechroming?

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

There are two cyclone specific trim pieces that go just behind the rear roof pillars on the flat of the rear 1/4 quarter panels. I took mine to the chromer for restoration and they have an upward curve. The chromer needs to know if they are supposed to be that way or if he should straighten them. Can anyone help me answer the question?
Douglas

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

The body behind the back glass has a very slight roll where they are mounted, yes?
If they were sitting flush before you pulled them, they should be okay as is.
I'm going by distant memory here.....might take a short straightedge across the top panel, see if it rocks a tad.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks for the information Joe. I have most of the trim planned out but I have decisions to make on the dash and the rear tail panel trim. I think I will be painting some of these items.

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

I hear you. I painted everything w/ Testors, model brushes and toothpicks. Still had some kid in me at the time. :)

Crazy story- a few weeks after I picked up my Cyclone, a couple of guys drove up to look at the car. The name plaques were still on the rear quarters but the flags were missing. He asked me if I needed a pair. I told him, 'Yes, but where am I going to find them?' He pulled a pair out of his shirt pocket and gave them to me! Told me he pulled them off a Marauder in a junkyard an hour from my home. I got directions from him and found a '65 Caliente and pulled a lot of great parts. Those were the days.

Joe
Last edited by Joe Travers on Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Not Cyclone specific. Calientes have them too,& verts have a shortened version. They do have a slight curve but I think I'd want to test each side if its not too far to go get them & bring back & check. also it's easy to put them on the wrong side,the front edge angle stays parallel with the window trim.
Johno

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks guys! This car was on the edge of feasibility to build but one of the reasons I bought it anyway is fact that it is complete. The exterior stainless is perfect and the bits are all there. Needing restoration is just money if you can find the right guys. I'll print out some color photos of the dashes and the rear tail panel treatments and go from there.
I'm ready to buy all the rubber gaskets and such and Steele Rubber had it all a year ago. Checking last week they were out of a lot of it with no availability date. I'll work on that next week.
Douglas

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

DesertRat wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:02 pm
I'll print out some color photos of the dashes and the rear tail panel treatments and go from there.
There are some good detail shots included in this article. Hover over one of the pics in the article and a little button will appear in the top right corner to see all 20 pics. I've gotten a lot of inspiration for things I've done and want to do to mine from this article.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/080 ... et-cyclone

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is that a clear lid on the air filter, on that link Jim? cool! :D
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You know, I've drooled over all those pictures a dozen times and never noticed that. It does look like it's clear, and you're right, it is cool. I need to go back and zoom in on all those pics again to see what else I've missed. :roll: :lol:

Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DesertRat wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:00 pm
I have been working on my Comet as often as I can. Here are some photos of my quest to get the car down to bare metal and sealed with epoxy primer and sandable primer. The first photo is the car ready for wipe down and epoxy primer.
The second photo is me painting in my driveway hoping the wind doesn't come up.
The third photo is the car sunday after spraying the epoxy primer.
The fourth photo is this morning after getting about 100 ounces of high build sandable primer on the car.
I am using Eastwood abrasive discs to strip the paint off all the body parts and start from bare metal. It is a grueling nasty dirty dangerous job but it is the only way I can see to get the car where I want it.
Douglas-------------
That's the way to do. It! When you start blocking the car I would suggest getting a set of these sanding blocks.

https://www.amazon.com/Soft-Sanders-San ... 2683&psc=1

The blue one works very nice in the concave's on the side of car. The purple one was also a fav. But anyhow they worked really nice when I blocked the primer/surfacer on my Comet. I just ordered another set to do the wet sanding before paint, they do distort some over time.

Lou