Headlight Switch Retainer Nut

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Joe Travers

Headlight Switch Retainer Nut

Post by Joe Travers »

Can someone snap me a pic of the '64 nut that holds the headlight switch? Parts places claim '63 & '64 switches interchange but I don't know about the long shaft bezel runs through the dashboard. The '63 has a plate behind the dash the 'nut' runs through to mount the switch behind the plate. Mine was barely holding on before I had to pull it. It was stripped long ago and needs replacing. Looking for interchange, if possible. These are hard to find (as usual).

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

poboyjo65

Re: Headlight Switch Retainer Nut

Post by poboyjo65 »

I put 64 knobs on my 65 because I liked them better,but still have the 64 nut ,, threads broke too. :roll: probably would have been about a 1/4'' longer before it got broke off. in the first pic is a 64 & 65 nut .2nd pic is of the 65 switch minus the dome light dimming mechanism.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:35 am
I put 64 knobs on my 65 because I liked them better,but still have the 64 nut ,, threads broke too. :roll: probably would have been about a 1/4'' longer before it got broke off. in the first pic is a 64 & 65 nut .2nd pic is of the 65 switch minus the dome light dimming mechanism.
Thanks for the pics, John. The '65 nut is available but the shorter '64 (the one I need) isn't. The '63 & '64 switch is the same but '65 is not by sources I've checked. The '63 looks to be the same length as the '64 but has a bezel attached on the knob end that matches the others. Plain w/ no 'Lights' stamping. 'Lights' stamping is on the instrument cluster.

At this point, I would be happy to find any the right length, regardless of bezel just to keep the dang switch mounted. Will post pics later today, hopefully.

Thanks, as always

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Groover

Post by Groover »

I had to remove the "Lights" ring in order to get enough thread to bite. I looked for a replacement as well, but could not find. Seems one would need a donor car :(
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:05 am
poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:35 am
Thanks for the pics, John. The '65 nut is available but the shorter '64 (the one I need) isn't. The '63 & '64 switch is the same but '65 is not by sources I've checked. The '63 looks to be the same length as the '64 but has a bezel attached on the knob end that matches the others. Plain w/ no 'Lights' stamping. 'Lights' stamping is on the instrument cluster.

At this point, I would be happy to find any the right length, regardless of bezel just to keep the dang switch mounted. Will post pics later today, hopefully.

Thanks, as always

Joe
So do I have them mixed up? this shorter one that I have (1 5/8 underhead length) I thought was the 65. if this is the length you need you can have it. the switch has what looks like a C5_ _ -_ _ _ _ part number so I think it is the 65 switch?

The longer one should be about 2 3/4'' I thought it was the 64 bezel nut?
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

No, I'm a bit mixed up myself :roll:

'64 is too long, as '63 is only 7/8" in length. And smooth as a baby's behind.
Only fix I see is grind down surface of switch bracket a bit, buy the tool and try to get one thread bite on it.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

This may be a dumb idea, but desperate times....... Could you smear the damaged threads on the nut with JB Weld, then run a die over them to recut them when it hardens? I'm sure they wouldn't be as strong as the original, but maybe assembling with a drop or two of Loctite on the threads you could tighten enough to stay put. :roll:

Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:41 pm
This may be a dumb idea, but desperate times....... Could you smear the damaged threads on the nut with JB Weld, then run a die over them to recut them when it hardens? I'm sure they wouldn't be as strong as the original, but maybe assembling with a drop or two of Loctite on the threads you could tighten enough to stay put. :roll:

Jim
I was thinking same thing. or take a hammer & punch & whack the threads of the female switch threads to make it get a bite on your worn threads.
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:41 pm
This may be a dumb idea, but desperate times.......
Not a dumb idea at all. New switches can be had all day long for $25 if it goes South.
I was hoping someone would cough one up, buy a new switch and call it a day. Time for patience.
Just checking for possible interchange.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Maybe wrap a bunch of teflon tape on it. :D
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:46 pm
Maybe wrap a bunch of teflon tape on it. :D
I have boo-coodles of that stuff :lol: Electrical tape may hold better??? :shock: :lol: IDK
Funny thing, it threads into the switch well enough when I pull it from the dash, just not under tension. The threads did have some type sealer on them from a previous install to try and fix it but it didn't hold.

I'm going to order that little wrench with the four prongs and bear down, see if I can get any bite at all (after a tape job) :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop