Mecum Auction

Off Topic Posts Welcome. Personal Attacks, Profanity or Obcenity will not be Tolerated.
Lou's Comet

Re: Mecum Auction

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 pm
I agree, you can still get a Comet if you want, but the selection of Comets for sale is minuscule compared to say a mustang . That's what I mean by rare.
Compared to Mustangs, yes they are rare! Over 500K Mustangs sold in '65.
The '63 1/2 hardtops, '64 & "65 Cyclones were around 7K each, IIRC.
Already told my oldest he gets mine.

Joe
7k??

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 pm
7k??
'63 1/2 Custom- 9,432
'63 1/2 S-22- 5,807
'64 Cyclone- 7,454
'65 Cyclone- 12,347

I was close, except for the '65 :mrgreen:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 pm
Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:22 pm
7k??
'63 1/2 Custom- 9,432
'63 1/2 S-22- 5,807
'64 Cyclone- 7,454
'65 Cyclone- 12,347

I was close, except for the '65 :mrgreen:

Joe
So you agree Comets are rare?

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:15 pm
So you agree Comets are rare?
Compared to Mustangs? Heck yeah! In '65, Mustang hardtops were almost 10:1.
Back in the mid-'80s, had a guy tell me his '65 Mustang 289 hardtop was rare.
I had to break the news to him softly because I was on the job :lol:

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Have always said....I let ford build them thier way....then I build it my way when I get my hands hold of it...as far as worth,,I care less about that...I never have a thought of resell in the 1st place.I have had people say negative things to me over the 2x4's,,,the hood even not leaving the AT in it....I just say ..it sounds like I did the right thing by not asking you for any help or money when all the work was going into this old comet.....I never build anything to be popular,,,look at it ,admire it turn your nose up at it turn your back and walk away,,,it don't bother OL POP,,,cause all it has to do is please me....pop
pop/glenda

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

popscomet wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:57 am
I never build anything to be popular,,,
And that right there is what sets the Comet crowd apart from most others. :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm

Always like to get other's perspectives.

That being said, there are still Comets to be had if one wants to own one. I'm on my third and know of two others locally. Back when I bought my first, a '65 Cyclone in the late '80s, I thought they were rare but found three others ('65 Cyclone) within a twenty mile radius of my home. Also found a one owner 202 (#2) to putt around. Finding parts has always been tough, in my experience but maybe better now w/ Internet instead of Hemming's phone book. I enjoy hunting for parts.

Also owned five Mustangs and built two others w/ my oldest son but lost interest in them.

Joe
I was at the Ididit car show at their world headquarters a couple years ago and there was 1 other 65 Cyclone. I talked to the owner and he claimed there were only 3 65 Cylones in Michigan. I told him I have one, my Dad has one and I know at least 3 other guys that have them. I also thought they were rare when I bought mine in 1994. They are not common but they are out there.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:02 am
I also thought they were rare when I bought mine in 1994. They are not common but they are out there.
When the Covid lockdown started 2 years ago, I tried to find the nicest of the three other Cyclones mentioned. It was immaculate black on black drag car sitting on a trailer in a small town just 15 minutes away when I last saw it. The owner was willing to sell it at the time and gave me a few rare pieces he had laying around his shop for my car. Couldn't find it, so I went to the police station to try and track the guy down. They had all the doors locked and wouldn't answer my knock.

It was set up like the old B/FX racers. HiPo 289 w/ Crane heads and custom made headers that snaked through the fenderwells. Crager S/S all the way around w/ 9" slicks. The guy was the original owner and Vietnam vet. He was shop foreman at the Ford dealership in that town. That car is still around somewhere, I just know it. In hindsight, I'm happy I didn't find it. My '63 is probably just as quick and I didn't have to mortgage the house.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Ok just out of curiosity, is the Comet that you have now more fun to drive than the original one??
Lou
[/quote]

My comet is way more fun to drive now then when I got it. Rides smooth, doesn't roll going around corners, stops great, is cool in the hot summer and I can squeal the tires whenever I want too. The people that come up to me either don't know what it is or they owned one when they were young. Whats not to like :D
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Just after me and son redid my comet the 1st time,,we had left it as was built..AT,pwr brks and steering with AC,,,was at a show and had a couple tell me they had started thier marrige off in a red comet just like mine,,they drooled and sat in it and kept coming back and looking,,,so I said ,,why don't you 2 take a short spin down the road and relive some memories??,,they sure wanted to but they were scared something might happen to it so they declined my offer,but they sure wanted to,,they returned several times to thank me,,in fact when the woman relized who GLENDA was she went over to her and told her what I had offered to do for them,,GLENDA said well you should have taken him up on his offer,,,ROBERT is more into making a new friend and seeing a smile on someone's face,,,I've never done that sense,,but those 2 just tripped my trigger and found a soft spot in me....had a lady with her son who was retarded looking at wife's 56 ford while we attended the HANGIN DICE NAT'S,,,he was just beside hisself trying to touch it and see inside,,the mother was trying to keep a distance,,I walked up opened a door and told him to get in and for mother to take as many pic's as she wanted ,,,that made his day !!,,,we are care takers of these old cars,we are blessed with them,,we could lose it in a flash.....that's the way I look at it...pop
pop/glenda

power band

Post by power band »

popscomet wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:37 am
mother was trying to keep a distance,,I walked up opened a door and told him to get in and for mother to take as many pic's as she wanted ,,,that made his day !!,,,we are care takers of these old cars,we are blessed with them,,we could lose it in a flash.....that's the way I look at it...pop
..and what are ya' savin' it for anyway ...

haVE FU

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Sorry Lou, a big YES this Cyclone is absolutely more fun to drive than my first one. I guess my first one was just exciting because it was my first new car. This year when the car hits the road that hood and bumper will be painted. Poboy has been busting my butt to get it done. Andy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Git er done! :D :lol:
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

tomb22 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:58 pm
My comet is way more fun to drive now then when I got it. Rides smooth, doesn't roll going around corners, stops great, is cool in the hot summer and I can squeal the tires whenever I want too. The people that come up to me either don't know what it is or they owned one when they were young. Whats not to like :D
Tom
caseville cyclone wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Sorry Lou, a big YES this Cyclone is absolutely more fun to drive than my first one. I guess my first one was just exciting because it was my first new car. This year when the car hits the road that hood and bumper will be painted. Poboy has been busting my butt to get it done. Andy
These are the reasons the modified cars have become more popular. Plus A lot of people are just no longer interested in the stock/factory builds.

I drove mine a little when I first got it, ran ok, and could have been a fun car. But with the modifications and 400+ hp I know it is going to be a very fun car!

Lou