‘64 Falcon Track Project

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
comethead

Re: 64 Falcon Track Car

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 pm

Comet speedo w/ a Mustang stamp in a Falcon, true Blue Oval! :D

Joe
8)
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

comethead

Post by comethead »

So this has to do with my Comet as much as my Falcon. Im learning to do DIY front wheel alignment thanks to my man Poboyjo65 Johnnie.
I aligned it initially back in August 2020 before my first track day and it’s performed great. Now after cutting half a coil I rechecked it and all the numbers had changed. Time to adjust her back into the specs which I had originally set at:
Caster 5.5 deg, Camber -1.25 and 1/8” toe in.
Here’s the tools in action(Fastrax caster/camber gauge, Longacre toe plates and Gil Smith Racing turn plates):

I’ll be adjusting this weekend and report back. I have new parts for the Comet to make adjusting easier as well. Coming soon.

Joe
Last edited by comethead on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Look like you got it figured!!
2 questions
Have you checked the tapes to ensure theh read the same at those distances?
Really like the sidewall plate idea but how do they account for the tire bludge at the contact patch?
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

comethead

Post by comethead »

Dear Fred,
Great questions. I contacted the manufacturer and asked them. Here was their response:
Dear Joe,
The tape measures were cryogenically treated on the surface of the planet Jupiter and then calibrated to each other within .000003” (although they’re fractional). And then when returned to earth they were anointed and blessed by Carrol Shelbys ex-housekeepers brother himself! Then they are sold by Summit racing for $4 each.
On the plates he said they were specifically designed to interact with the curvature of the earth to clear the tire bulge by about the width of a cat whisker.
Its true. All of it! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

But on a serious note, I can say after using these tools to align the car I was able to go about 125mph with dead stability and then brake hard and turn in hard with confidence over and over and over again.
They were designed by people smarter than me. And like going to the dentist or the proctologist…. I put my fate in their hands and hope all will be well :D

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe you're welcome !
how tall are those toe in plates? Been thinking of making a set before my next alignment. Been eyeballing some aluminum laying around here that is about a foot tall & long enough. & I'm jealous of those turntables! :D mine are reworked rear tire tables from an old out of date alignment rack I had to take em apart & take out the locks,rears aren't made to turn many degrees :roll: & lost a few marbles but I'm use to that :roll: ;

but still glad to have them, better than grease in a plastic sack ! :wink: 8)
Johno

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Look like you got it figured!!
One question

When you gonna paint that thing? :lol:
I can see it now, single stage Arcadian Blue w/ big white circle on hood & doors & #7. :roll:
Steve McQueens' LeMans Porsche colors.

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Joe paint ain’t gonna make me faster!! :wink:

Hey Johnnie the plates are 9x23.5” with a bend in the bottom to help them lean onto the tire.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Hey Fred the tire bulge doesn’t seem to be an issue. The plates sit flat against the front/back of the tires easily. Also I checked the tape measures that came with the plates and they’re both dead on :D

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:46 pm
A 1" open carb spacer might buy ya a few extra ponies if you have enough hood clearance?

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

comethead

Post by comethead »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:55 pm
comethead wrote:
A 1" open carb spacer might buy ya a few extra ponies if you have enough hood clearance?

Joe II
Yessir! I’m running a 1” spacer. Maybe a taller one? With the teardrop I have plenty of room.

Joe

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

comethead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:51 pm
Yessir! I’m running a 1” spacer. Maybe a taller one? With the teardrop I have plenty of room.
My apologies, didn't catch that on the engine pics.
Might help if you're riding the chip most of the time? IDK but it's a cheap bet.

Joe II

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

comethead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:48 pm
Hey Fred the tire bulge doesn’t seem to be an issue. The plates sit flat against the front/back of the tires easily. Also I checked the tape measures that came with the plates and they’re both dead on :D

Joe
Cool,
comethead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:08 pm
But on a serious note, I can say after using these tools to align the car I was able to go about 125mph with dead stability and then brake hard and turn in hard with confidence over and over and over again.
:D
Joe
COOLER!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

loman

Post by loman »

comethead wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:02 pm
Dear Fred,
Great questions. I contacted the manufacturer and asked them. Here was their response:
Dear Joe,
The tape measures were cryogenically treated on the surface of the planet Jupiter and then calibrated to each other within .000003” (although they’re fractional). And then when returned to earth they were anointed and blessed by Carrol Shelbys ex-housekeepers brother himself! Then they are sold by Summit racing for $4 each.
On the plates he said they were specifically designed to interact with the curvature of the earth to clear the tire bulge by about the width of a cat whisker.
Its true. All of it! :)
This has to be one of the best answers to a question on this board. I love it. :D

loman

Post by loman »

comethead wrote:
Fresh paint vs old paint, he might lose some downforce with the fresh paint. That thing is flying and he needs the old rough paint to create more downforce. :lol:

Joe, I always like following your thread it is very interesting. It makes me want to learn how to not just go straight all the time. When is the first track day this year?