Paint question

Discussions about general body work and modifications
DesertRat

Paint question

Post by DesertRat »

Question for you body and paint guys, how many quarts of sprayable color single stage paint do you mix to do the required jamming and exterior body? Assume good coverage in 3/4 coats with no interior paint here. The interior is a different color. Thanks-----DR-
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

Lou's Comet

Re: Paint question

Post by Lou's Comet »

You painting a solid color or a metallic ? A gallon of single stage should do the exterior. A solid color covers better than a metallic. Doing jams seems to suck up paint probably another half gallon if you are doing underside of hood and trunk. If you are doing inside of engine compartment even more. This is not sprayable mix but just paint. Sprayable mix would be more.

To be sure you have enough and to have some extra for any mishaps or future use I would get 2 gallon paint with enough hardener and reducer.

Not a exact science some people can do it with less some need more. Lot of variables

Lou

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Thanks Lou, I'm painting solid with no metallic and I will need to jam the whole car before painting the exterior color. I'm thinking a minimum of 6 quarts sprayable. The engine bay will be body color as well so just trying to budget---------------
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Listen to Lou...2 gallons doing what you're going to do.The pros can sometimes get by with less but they know exactly how much to mix and what gun to use.A lot of paint ends up in the air doing the jambs and under hood.If it's a custom mix,it's bad news to run out as that extra quart they mix up might not match.I did buy a decent turbine setup that has very little over spray that will stretch the paint out but the quality of the job wasn't there.Kind of a farm tractor painting deal.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Like vicegrip said a lot of paint is used/wasted doing jams and engine compartment. Another thought or two. Are you painting the car assembled? Or in pieces like doors, fenders, hood ,etc separately ? If you are painting it in pieces that will take more paint. And are you painting in a booth, or open garage, or outside? Cause outside will take more paint than painting in a booth.

Just some thoughts

Lou