six to v8 conversion

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
barbee6043

six to v8 conversion

Post by barbee6043 »

I admit to having 40 years in old Mopars and zero with Comets! Question is is it faesible to do the conversion of six to small block in a 64 Comet post car., called a what? 220 ? I know the rear end and radiator for sure, but what about engine brackets the K frame or engine cradle, whatever its called here? Firewall? Spindle (Brakes for sure), Trans tunnel? etc Thanks all!

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: six to v8 conversion

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

To bolt a small block in you just need frame mounts and motor mounts. I like to use 66 Mustang parts because they are easily available and bolt right up. The biggest issue is front suspension. You will need to pretty much change it all to v8 parts, since you are doing this conversion use 65 Comet steering parts, they are much better than 64's. The other things you mentioned are also needed, rear axle, v8 radiator.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Glad you finally saw the light and came over to the Comet side of the road. :lol: A lot of guys with 64s, including V8s, have changed over to 65 components due to the differences in geometry between the two. The 65 geometry is less prone to bump steer than the 64. Like Boss said, If you're changing stuff out anyway you should go ahead and convert to 65 stuff. Here are some links that may hold some nuggets for you:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15879
https://cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopi ... 3&start=90
https://www.falconparts.com/ford-falcon ... on-d19.htm

Good luck! And when you get started on it, start a build thread here so we can all follow along. Lots of guys here with good advice, and I'm sure we could all learn from it, too.

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

As has been said above.
Seeing as your new to Comets definitely go to 65 V8 stuff, its the same as 65-6 V8 Mustang other than the centerlink which is 65 Comet/Falcon V8 specific.
Your car is a 6cyl so the steering box is correct.
Lots of us go with the Shelby style 4 piston front disc brakes and a 15/16th" manual master cylinder. The links posted will provide good info. Any questions just yell. Happy your here!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A number of guys on here have gone with the CSRP disc brake conversion kits.
https://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%2 ... SWAP1.html

Jim

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

Thanks for the info!!! i did get my 64 202 car bought and home,I will have to get wife to post some pics when it stops raining!!!! I am excited as a kid at Christmas. New toy and hungry for knowledge!!

barbee6043

Post by barbee6043 »

SASSY wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 pm
As has been said above.
Seeing as your new to Comets definitely go to 65 V8 stuff, its the same as 65-6 V8 Mustang other than the centerlink which is 65 Comet/Falcon V8 specific.
Your car is a 6cyl so the steering box is correct.
Lots of us go with the Shelby style 4 piston front disc brakes and a 15/16th" manual master cylinder. The links posted will provide good info. Any questions just yell. Happy your here!
Fred
Thanks all for the info and help!!