Let me start!!!!!!!!

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
SASSY

Re: Let me start!!!!!!!!

Post by SASSY »

Well some of you may have read my whinning about Sassy problems lately. A new one cropped up this summer/fall.
Had starting as if the ignition was firing too soon, then to a no start condition.
The situation tricked me as it started after I had changed a bearing in the SC drive system. In RnRing components wiring had to be moved unplugged etc. So my thinking was didn't do something correctly or damaged a wire. Coencedence, everything is fine, the problem was with the harmonic balancer.
A year ago I broke the harmonic balancer bolt which I find is not uncommon mostly because it is not to be reused but hacks like me don't know,,,,,, but learn😣.
Anyway hacking together a tool to hold the crank solid to get the HB bolt out I noticed the HB moved too easily back in forth maybe 20-30degrees??? Turns out the high buck new bolt I installed is ,,,TOO LONG!! It held the HB inplace but not locked down, the bolt was bottomed in the crank about the same time it contacted the HB.😣

https://youtu.be/HCup14T-MGI

I have a couple images to upload too but postimage is says it's busy, been havin trouble there lately, anyone else?

I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Haven't worked on a triggered ignition since I sold my Grand Marquis in late '80s.
Glad you got it sorted out :D

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop
342 stroker, solid roller, T-10, 3.55 posi

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

It wore the keyway that much?? WOW, Glad you got it figured out, these are the kinds of problems that are hard to diagnose.

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:50 pm
It wore the keyway that much?? WOW, Glad you got it figured out, these are the kinds of problems that are hard to diagnose.

Lou
Ya lucky to find it.
Have to pull the HB to change out the trigger. Have another one so just in the process of elimination.
Ya wore it a lot relative to the amount of driving since the new bolt. But that keyway runs the SuperCharger too so it must be subject to big loads and any give,, the old saying "give an inch take a mile".
Hoping the key is ok otherwise the everything from the radiator to the block has to come out to change it.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yes my postimage is down too. & yes been noticing some missing pics on the postimage site,one here & there.

bright side is this should fix that vibration problem too right? :) Had a similar problem on a little pontiac 4cyl quite a few years ago, except it wallered out the keyway on the crankshaft as well. Hope your crank's ok. :roll:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Yes Johno I think it might be. Gonna get the motor back happy before worry about anything else.
Spent a few minutes :lol: preppping for valve cover gaskets, this stuff was in the way!

Needs a good cleaning too! Hasnt really been touched since the long block replacement in 2013.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Got ths motor back together and fired yesterday.
As assumed cycled the pump twice started instantly and after a few seconds settled into a smooth idle.
Wish I could drive it to test weather the the vibrations I thought were chassis problems were actually timing issues but I already posted this pic from 2 days ago elsewhere on the site.
When it warms up (record cold last night!) I may restart the console and stereo.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I am ok with snow at Christmas time. We got some coming tomorrow with like 10 degree temps...

I would bet the vibration is gone...

You fabricating your own console? Or got a factory one. A console has been floating around in my head for a while. Be nice to have a drink holder and a place to stash some stuff. Been thinking of building my own but need to get a lot of other stuff done before that happens.

Lou

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

Good deal, Fred! :D
I was beginning to think you were swapping out the spaghetti monster (or asking for a friend?)

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:36 am
I am ok with snow at Christmas time. We got some coming tomorrow with like 10 degree temps...

I would bet the vibration is gone...

You fabricating your own console? Or got a factory one. A console has been floating around in my head for a while. Be nice to have a drink holder and a place to stash some stuff. Been thinking of building my own but need to get a lot of other stuff done before that happens.

Lou
I do have a decent stock one but same as you want more places for stuff plus a stereo maybe with a screen. Thinking maybe Fglass, vinyl wrap.
Maybe complete new or addition to stock. Lots of ideas floating but no solid plan.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:08 am
Good deal, Fred! :D
I was beginning to think you were swapping out the spaghetti monster (or asking for a friend?)

Joe
Ya the spaghetti Monster is a pain to work on for sure but it is so unique, fun to drive, cool to look at and minivan mileage that I don't see going anywhere else soon.
Yes I miss the lumpy, rumble of the 351C, it's simplicity and POWER but could never drive it to the places Sassy has been with the six.
Plus at almost 71 cruisin is cooler than a burnout for me anyway.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:19 am

I plan to run my T5 shifter through my coin tray like you did. Where did you get your boot? Is that a Falcon console lid?

Jim

Joe Travers

Post by Joe Travers »

SASSY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:39 am
Plus at almost 71 cruisin is cooler than a burnout for me anyway.
Burnouts aren't appealing to me. I like high-end torque :mrgreen:
You can do burnouts in a Pinto.

Joe

1963 1/2 Custom Hardtop

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:03 pm
SASSY wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:19 am

I plan to run my T5 shifter through my coin tray like you did. Where did you get your boot? Is that a Falcon console lid?

Jim
The boot is the factory '89 XR7.
In Canada Ive seen both lids in Comets. This lid was on the console when I got the car and there was no reason to think it wasnt original.
I haven't had to opportunity to quiz owners as to build location of their car and not many console cars around.
It looks natural with the shifter coming up in that spot plus I dislike the original location anyway.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Joe Travers wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:06 pm
Burnouts aren't appealing to me. I like high-end torque :mrgreen:
You can do burnouts in a Pinto.

Joe
I thought I was the only one. Everyone seems so impressed with burnouts. I'm of the thought spinning ain't winning. Plus just burning up good tires makes no sense to me. The only place for a burnout is warming up the tires at the dragstrip right before making a pass.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry